Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi - Locke's 8 Year Old Single Malt Irish Whiskey

Options
  • 12-11-2018 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,496 ✭✭✭

So last years Aldi Christmas Whiskey special turned out to be a bit of fun and ended up being quite a nice if somewhat mysterious in its origins.

This year they have Locke’s 8 year old for 40€. Not really as mysterious but from my light research seems to be a good whiskey.

Their website says it’s coming in on the 4th of Nov but I think it might be a typo? Would have thought it might be out closer to Christmas-unless someone has seen it.

https://www.aldi.ie/8-year-old-single-malt-irish-whiskey/p/010170254746300

Some info:

Lockes 8 Year Old Single Malt Irish Whiskey, comes from the finest whiskeys in the Cooley Distillery. It is a double distilled Single Malt using pot stills. It ages between 8-10 years old. 10% of the barley used is peated malt, which gives the whiskey an underlining smoky, peaty flavour. It was first released in the year 2000 and has been successful ever since winning a gold medal and best in class at the 2009 International Wine and Spirits Award.

On the nose Lockes 8 year old Single Malt, has some unusually aromas, beginning with toasted oak, freshly squeezed orange juice and a the wood shavings off a freshly sharped pencil. As for the palate the whiskeys is smooth and woody with quite a few oaky flavours mixed in. The overall mouth feel is that of chewing tobacco, vanilla, oak and citrus fruit.

Some reviews:

https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/lockes/lockes-8-year-old-whiskey/

https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/p/2882/lockes-8-year-old

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭FlicFlak

Ive had it, dont think its their Christmas special though, just a nice bottle they got. On the back label it has the legal bit where it says caramel is added. Only Germany has to have this id say they are bottles from Germany imported back to Ireland!
    Could be wrong though, but at 40 quid a bottle its crackin' stuff!!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Lockes is a very drinkable whiskey. I wonder are Aldi in NI doing it?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

gandalf wrote: »
    I wonder are Aldi in NI doing it?
    Doubt it. There are no Aldis in NI.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Yeah just discovered that, shame I'm up there on a weekly basis. I suppose I'll just stock up on Redbreast 12 from Sainsbury's to ease my pain ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭FlicFlak

BeerNut wrote: »
    Doubt it. There are no Aldis in NI.

Seriously??? This is something i never knew!! Are there any Lidls?
    How are there no Aldis in all of Norn Iron???????

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Lidl have extensive operations as a satellite of the ROI ops. Aldi have simply decided not to bother

• Registered Users Posts: 8,496 ✭✭✭brevity

Picked this up last week but not allowed to touch it for a while yet :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Reduced to €29.99 in my local Aldi!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,496 ✭✭✭brevity

Yea I spotted this as well. Might have to pick up a bottle

Advertisement