Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlords get it in the neck again

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Has there ever been a better time to be a landlord? All of them milking it these days. They should be praising the current system and not an ounce of a complaint.

Mod Note
    Be careful here as you are straddling the line between opinions and trolling.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    There was only a 2% year on year drop in RTB registrations over the past year and that can just as easily be attributed to the sale market and move out of negative equity for accidental landlords as anything else.

Only 2%! This is at a time when there is increasing demand due to a rise in household formation and immigration, tiny deposit rates on savings and increasing rents. What would be expected is a substantial increase in the number of registrations. There is a natural churn of laqndlords leaving the market due to death or other reasons but the fact is that they are not being replaced in circumstances where it should be a no-brainer for people with the cash to invest.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

RayCun wrote: »

I'm not sure how you make the assertion that 'landlords get it in the neck again'.
    I'd view the article incredibly positively- insofar as its a positive for Irish tenants- as its selling Irish rental property as a massively high yield generator (if you consider 7.69% to be massively high)- to UK investors- at a time when the only other investors in Irish residential rental property are the REITs. Aka- if anyone actually reads and heeds this article- be it on their heads- but the main beneficiary of anyone who heeds the article- is prospective Irish tenants.

The article is flogging Irish rental units to Brits- without giving them any background on how the Irish market differs from the UK market- or the risks involved. In addition- the statistics used are questionable- and more than a little unbelievable (given the breadth of information in the public domain- which contradicts their findings).

Irish landlords, particularly small scale landlords (those with 5 or fewer units) are leaving the Irish property rental sector in their droves (at a rate of just under 7% of landlords in this segment, per annum, at present- according to out-of-date figures released by the RTB (last July- relating to 2017)).

REITs are not interested in the small scale/semi-d sector- they're particularly interested in apartment blocks etc- however, there are a large cohort of prospective tenants out there who quite simply do not want to live in apartments- and actively seek out alternate property types (houses etc)- articles such as the one quoted in the opening post- may, entirely accidentally, help provide some units in that sector.

To be brutally honest- labelling your thread- as you did- is a fairly clearcut attempt at trolling- and is clearly in breach of the forum's charter. If you intended to generate comment- the very least you should have done- is read and understand the article that your quoting- because it most certainly does not stand up to any sort of scrutiny- in fact, its a poor attempt to sell Irish property to unsuspecting Brits- apparently without any great depth of research on the part of the authors.

If you want to discuss media articles- as they pertain to property- thats fine- but please- no trolling- its not appreciated.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

4ensic15 wrote: »
    Only 2%! This is at a time when there is increasing demand due to a rise in household formation and immigration, tiny deposit rates on savings and increasing rents. What would be expected is a substantial increase in the number of registrations. There is a natural churn of laqndlords leaving the market due to death or other reasons but the fact is that they are not being replaced in circumstances where it should be a no-brainer for people with the cash to invest.

Its only at 2% overall- after they added all the housing associations, local authority unit managers etc- into the mix- as individual landlords- if you strip those out- a net 6.7% of landlords with 3 or fewer (and 6.86% with 5 or fewer) units- left the Irish residential property letting sector from 1st Jan 2016 to 31st December 2017. The pace at which small scale landlords have left the sector- sped up in 2018- however, statistics are not available (as yet).

Its not quite freefall- and its been gently massaged by the RTB through their creative addition of various other categories of bodies/groups/associations etc- to the mix- but its trending downwards at a worrying pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Its only at 2% overall- after they added all the housing associations, local authority unit managers etc- into the mix- as individual landlords- if you strip those out- a net 6.7% of landlords with 3 or fewer (and 6.86% with 5 or fewer) units- left the Irish residential property letting sector from 1st Jan 2016 to 31st December 2017. The pace at which small scale landlords have left the sector- sped up in 2018- however, statistics are not available (as yet).

Its not quite freefall- and its been gently massaged by the RTB through their creative addition of various other categories of bodies/groups/associations etc- to the mix- but its trending downwards at a worrying pace.

This was what was starting to escalate when I made my dramatic bid for freedom from the private rental market. Now I read the daft site with deep thankfulness that I did so and am safe in a council property.

I was able and willing to move counties and provinces but even so, finding a property within my range etc. was all but impossible

The change since I started renting some 14 years ago is devastating. Even this forum has changed

• Advertisement
Advertisement