Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - How do they bring fiber cable to the house?

Options
  • 06-11-2018 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,854 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Just signed up the Vodafone's SIRO service, engineer is due out next week which probably means 2019 judging by some of the comments here :'(

Anyway, one bit I'm not clear on is how they bring the fiber cable from the line in the street to your house. I know it comes in somewhere near the electricity meter, but will they have to dig a trench to bring the cable up there or something?

Also, does the modem require anything other than power? I'm hoping to get it mounted high up so the kids won't keep pulling the wires out and just wondering what infrastructure I'll need to install for this.

Thanks for the help!

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Hi folks,

Just signed up the Vodafone's SIRO service, engineer is due out next week which probably means 2019 judging by some of the comments here :'(

Anyway, one bit I'm not clear on is how they bring the fiber cable from the line in the street to your house. I know it comes in somewhere near the electricity meter, but will they have to dig a trench to bring the cable up there or something?

Also, does the modem require anything other than power? I'm hoping to get it mounted high up so the kids won't keep pulling the wires out and just wondering what infrastructure I'll need to install for this.

Thanks for the help!

They will try to bring the cable through the ducting that your electricity cable uses. If it is blocked it may require digging to rectify but the installer should make it known to you before any work takes place.

Here are some images of an installation:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=104722142&postcount=3998

You'll need two power points or an adapter if only one point is available.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭McSween

That is a shocking job i think. It is very untidy looking. I am getting an installation on Thursday and having seocond thoughts based on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

McSween wrote: »
    That is a shocking job i think. It is very untidy looking. I am getting an installation on Thursday and having seocond thoughts based on that.

Some people...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,854 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

ED E wrote: »
    Some people...

Yeah that job is a solid 0/10 for quality

They could at least provide some trucking or something to cover the wires

They will try to bring the cable through the ducting that your electricity cable uses. If it is blocked it may require digging to rectify but the installer should make it known to you before any work takes place.

Here are some images of an installation:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=104722142&postcount=3998

You'll need two power points or an adapter if only one point is available.

So I'm guessing that white unit mounted outside is basically a passthrough to the indoor unit and they opposite one another on the wall?

2 power sockets, one for SIRO modem and the other for a wireless router?

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

It's been pointed out before that the untidiest wires in those photos are from an existing satellite dish.

That said, if a visible cable is enough to make you not want fibre broadband, you clearly don't need fibre broadband all that badly.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    It's been pointed out before that the untidiest wires in those photos are from an existing satellite dish.

That said, if a visible cable is enough to make you not want fibre broadband, you clearly don't need fibre broadband all that badly.

I already have Virgin. Could they have put white cabling (never mind the satellite, I know what that cable was).

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Could they have put white cabling...

No, UV-stabilised outdoor cables are black. It can be painted.

So I'm guessing that white unit mounted outside is basically a passthrough to the indoor unit and they opposite one another on the wall?

2 power sockets, one for SIRO modem and the other for a wireless router?

Yes they are opposite one another.

One power point for the ONT (white box with SIRO branding) which converts the fibre to Ethernet and one power point for the wireless router which connects to the ONT by an Ethernet cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Hi folks,

It really depends on what type of installation yours is. If it's ducted or surface retractable, it usually only takes a few days from the order.

If it's overhead, it will take 4-6 weeks because ESB networks has to be involved for the run along the power-lines.

If there are blockages on an underground installation, then it might take a week longer.

But one thing is for sure: SIRO is generally a lot faster at getting stuff installed than most other wholesale networks. And they take ownership of the entire installation all the way into your, while others leave you to deal with anything on your property. So I think the pessimistic approach is a bit off here.

Also, SIRO now use a different type of ODP, where the ODP is a cradle for the ONT. So inside the house, there will only be one device mounted on the wall.

/M

• Advertisement

The new ODP / ONT combo looks like this:

45042802534_cdf472e50b_b.jpg

SIRO have been using those for a while. OpenEIR only just started using them. This is an OpenEIR overhead installation (as can be seen from the thin black fibre cabling).

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    The new ODP / ONT combo looks like this:

45042802534_cdf472e50b_b.jpg

SIRO have been using those for a while. OpenEIR only just started using them. This is an OpenEIR overhead installation (as can be seen from the thin black fibre cabling).

/M

Hmm, that looks like a much neater option, thanks for posting the photos.

When you say it was an overhead installation, I'm guessing you mean the fiber optic cable comes in from a ESB pole to somewhere high on your house?

Our ESB wires are underground so I'm guessing they'll bring it in that way

Does the new unit remove the need for the external unit?

Also, just to make sure I have this clear, the ODP/ONT essentially turns the fiber optic signal into an ethernet one. So I'm guessing it connects to a standard router via gigabit ethernet, like what you've shown there?

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭sliabh 1956

I am due to get wired up on Friday after signing up 3 weeks ago some chap called around to day to see was everything was in order to proceed so i will post again on friday to be honest the current speed i have suits me fine but as I was out of contract they offered me this package so we will see how it goes

Hmm, that looks like a much neater option, thanks for posting the photos.

When you say it was an overhead installation, I'm guessing you mean the fiber optic cable comes in from a ESB pole to somewhere high on your house?

This is OpenEIR, so it's from a telephone pole. But yes, if your power lines were overhead, that's the way they'd bring it in.
    Our ESB wires are underground so I'm guessing they'll bring it in that way

Correct. Into the ESB meter then. That should make for a fairly straight forward installation without delays.

Does the new unit remove the need for the external unit?

The cradle is the external unit. And the ONT then sits into that.
    Also, just to make sure I have this clear, the ODP/ONT essentially turns the fiber optic signal into an ethernet one. So I'm guessing it connects to a standard router via gigabit ethernet, like what you've shown there?

Correct. Thats how all FTTH installation are done in Ireland. Well .. apart from Virgins :)

/M

I am due to get wired up on Friday after signing up 3 weeks ago some chap called around to day to see was everything was in order to proceed so i will post again on friday to be honest the current speed i have suits me fine but as I was out of contract they offered me this package so we will see how it goes

SIRO have pre-installation crews. So sometimes these crews are around ahead of the installation and have most of the job done.

A lot of the time you don't even know, they've been there. All you'll notice is that if you open the ESB meter, there is suddenly a coil of fibre in there.

It's one of the ways they've made it possible to install much quicker than most other operators.

/M

The cradle is the external unit. And the ONT then sits into that.

I think they are asking about the external box on the exterior of the home. It is still there as far as I know.

I think they are asking about the external box on the exterior of the home. It is still there as far as I know.

Yes. That box is fitted, so that the fibre can be serviced without access to the home. And it's only SIRO doing it. Also because they don't use the ETU (if it exists.)

It's basically SIROs form of ETU. But it also covers nicely over the sometimes ugly hole in the wall, where the cable enters the house.

/M

Yes. That box is fitted, so that the fibre can be serviced without access to the home. And it's only SIRO doing it. Also because they don't use the ETU (if it exists.)

It's basically SIROs form of ETU. But it also covers nicely over the sometimes ugly hole in the wall, where the cable enters the house.

/M

It did seem a bit overly elaborate for a cover for the hole in the wall :-)

It did seem a bit overly elaborate for a cover for the hole in the wall :-)

It contains a back-to-back fibre connector, so that the fibre between the DP and your home can be serviced/replaced without ripping the entire setup out from the inside of the house again.

Or if you damage the fibre inside the house (because your wife knocked the vacuum cleaner off it or the kids ripped it off the wall) it isn't the entire fibre to the DP that has to be pulled out again. Especially in overhead span cases, where ESB networks would have to be involved and it could take a month to fix your connection.

It's actually very sensible.

/M

Im hoping to get the modem placed in the hallway but the esb box is to small living room (garage conversion) to right of hallway. When they break through the wall and plug in the internal box what cabling would they be tacking to skirting board to connect to modem in hall? If i leave modem in that living room it will be in a room we hardly use and signal has to reach sitting room and room above it.

• Advertisement

Im hoping to get the modem placed in the hallway but the esb box is to small living room (garage conversion) to right of hallway. When they break through the wall and plug in the internal box what cabling would they be tacking to skirting board to connect to modem in hall? If i leave modem in that living room it will be in a room we hardly use and signal has to reach sitting room and room above it.

From the ONT it's Cat5e/Cat6. You can run that at any length you want to anywhere in the house. It's no biggy. Any odd electrician can do that job. Even yourself with the right tools.

Well .. 100m is the limit, but there isn't many of that exceed that.

/M

From the ONT it's Cat5e/Cat6. You can run that at any length you want to anywhere in the house. It's no biggy. Any odd electrician can do that job. Even yourself with the right tools.

/M

Thanks. Damn i have to move furniture now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,201 ✭✭✭ongarite

Interesting thread, have been offered Siro by Vodafone in my estate by numerous cold callers in recent weeks.

Based on the photos, I can't see installation being feasible for me.
    ESB meter is not on outer wall of my place but on adjacent shared wall.
    Fibre cable would need to come out of ESB box, over 2 exterior walls, then hole drilled through bedroom wall.
    It would then need maybe 60 feet of CAT6 or fibre cable routed along skirting, doors, floor to where current Virgin Hub is located.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,334 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Will someone from Eir sort out the fibre broadband when it arrives to their customers once fibre broadband/pole/cabinet be set up and up and running live?

ongarite wrote: »
    Interesting thread, have been offered Siro by Vodafone in my estate by numerous cold callers in recent weeks.

Based on the photos, I can't see installation being feasible for me.
    ESB meter is not on outer wall of my place but on adjacent shared wall.
    Fibre cable would need to come out of ESB box, over 2 exterior walls, then hole drilled through bedroom wall.
    It would then need maybe 60 feet of CAT6 or fibre cable routed along skirting, doors, floor to where current Virgin Hub is located.

The ESB meter is only in the case of a ducted/underground install.

There are multiple types of installation. So it depends on what they've done in your estate.

There is ducted, overhead, surface-retractable and probably at least one other way.

So you can't just compare like by like. Be specific. What way is it done in your estate ?

/M

starlit wrote: »
    Will someone from Eir sort out the fibre broadband when it arrives to their customers once fibre broadband/pole/cabinet be set up and up and running live?

This is SIRO. Eir has nothing to do with nor do they offer service on the SIRO network. It's like saying "will Eir connect my Virgin cable-TV connection".

You're confused now.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 8,201 ✭✭✭ongarite

The ESB meter is only in the case of a ducted/underground install.

There are multiple types of installation. So it depends on what they've done in your estate.

There is ducted, overhead, surface-retractable and probably at least one other way.

So you can't just compare like by like. Be specific. What way is it done in your estate ?

/M
    Not too sure on what your different installation types mean but its would be similar to this post:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin//showpost.php?p=92544792&postcount=792

ongarite wrote: »
    Not too sure on what your different installation types mean but its would be similar to this post:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin//showpost.php?p=92544792&postcount=792

So underground. Yes, that would come into your ESB meter. From there they typically run the fibre to the nearest double socket. Sometimes you can get them to run it to a more convenient place.

But if that doesn't suit, you can always run cat5e/cat6 from the ONT to a place that suits yourself more.

If your house isn't cabled up to suit your needs, that's not really the providers problem. You're buying broadband .. not a home network setup.

It really is up to you, how you want to cable, decorate or furnish your home.

Then again, with you having Virgin, it's more a comfort choice to change .. or a money saving excercise.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭sliabh 1956

I am a bit worried it was Mrs Sliabh did the deal I only now realize that its just not a relpacement
    modem I'm getting there is drilling going to take place Am i right in thinking that a cable now must run from my Esb meter cabinet to where this new box is going to be located at present the modem is in my hallway near my phone socket in my case that is through my bedroom through a wardrobe to my hall way the distance is not great but still its going to be messy I think

• Advertisement

I am a bit worried it was Mrs Sliabh did the deal I only now realize that its just not a relpacement
    modem I'm getting there is drilling going to take place Am i right in thinking that a cable now must run from my Esb meter cabinet to where this new box is going to be located at present the modem is in my hallway near nmy phone socket

Yes ... this is a brand new line. And yes, drilling may be involved. At least one hole.

/M

Advertisement