Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FTTC showing up on eir broadband checker but not on Vodafone fibre broadband

Options
  • 28-10-2018 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,718 ✭✭✭✭

I have a friend in the village who is connected to vodafone red connect at the moment and was telling him about FTTC now available with speeds up to 100mbps (he is currently getting 11mbps down figure on a speedtest.net for his vodafone red connect ) he was pretty impressed that he could get fibre, but he is still in contract (about another 12 months he thinks) I said maybe if he stays with vodafone maybe they could swap him over to the vodafone fibre 100mbps package - could they do something like that?

when I got home I put his landline number into https://www.eir.ie/broadband/ checker and it came back with
    "Speeds of up to 100Mb are available at your home"
    However I put his landline number into Vodafone landline checker and it said 'speeds of up to 24mbps is available at this address (ADSL is it maybe?)

So could it be a fact that the eir broadband checker is up to date information and that Vodafone has not updated the details yet? - If it shows up as up to 100mbps on the eir site, does it go hand in hand he should be able to get up to 100mbps with Vodafone?

Thanks,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

I have a friend in the village who is connected to vodafone red connect at the moment and was telling him about FTTC now available with speeds up to 100mbps (he is currently getting 11mbps down figure on a speedtest.net for his vodafone red connect ) he was pretty impressed that he could get fibre, but he is still in contract (about another 12 months he thinks) I said maybe if he stays with vodafone maybe they could swap him over to the vodafone fibre 100mbps package - could they do something like that?

when I got home I put his landline number into https://www.eir.ie/broadband/ checker and it came back with
    "Speeds of up to 100Mb are available at your home"
    However I put his landline number into Vodafone landline checker and it said 'speeds of up to 24mbps is available at this address (ADSL is it maybe?)

So could it be a fact that the eir broadband checker is up to date information and that Vodafone has not updated the details yet? - If it shows up as up to 100mbps on the eir site, does it go hand in hand he should be able to get up to 100mbps with Vodafone?

Thanks,

It's likely that the exchange hasn't actually launched yet. Didn't open eir tell you it would be November? I'd expect eir retail may be accepting pre-orders then scheduling installations for after the RFO (ready for order) date.

He should get similar speeds with any of the ISPs that sell the service. I am unsure if Vodafone will move him to FTTC without a fee, he'd need to clarify that with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,718 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

It's likely that the exchange hasn't actually launched yet. Didn't open eir tell you it would be November? I'd expect eir retail may be accepting pre-orders then scheduling installations for after the RFO (ready for order) date.

He should get similar speeds with any of the ISPs that sell the service. I am unsure if Vodafone will move him to FTTC without a fee, he'd need to clarify that with them.

Thanks there Dayana Slimy Barrier - no, it might have been airwire that said that - I havent been in touch with openeir about FTTC in the village - only FTTH to my address

Thanks there navi - no, it might have been airwire that said that - I havent been in touch with openeir about FTTC in the village - only FTTH to my address

You posted this.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=108442675&postcount=4672

I take it from that response that they meant both FTTC and FTTH. If your friend is within this exchange he'll likely have to wait for it to launch.

You posted this.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=108442675&postcount=4672

I take it from that response that they meant both FTTC and FTTH. If your friend is within this exchange he'll likely have to wait for it to launch.

ah right i forgot all about that - so the FTTC and the FTTH is run by both the same exchange/cabinet? (it very confusing)

Also very confusing is the eir website saying "Speeds of up to 100Mb are available at your home" ... if its not physically available / live

ah right i forgot all about that - so the FTTC and the FTTH is run by both the same exchange/cabinet? (it very confusing)

Also very confusing is the eir website saying "Speeds of up to 100Mb are available at your home" ... if its not physically available / live

Usually exchanges would have been FTTC enabled months or years before getting FTTH. Yours hasn't so work must be going on in parallel to get both launched.

eir seem to accept pre-orders if an exchange is going live within a couple of weeks. As I said though installs will not be done until after the RFO date. They used always launch exchanges on Wednesdays for some reason so I'd guess the date of the RFO is 7th of November.

• Advertisement

thanks navi - for the info

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

The Eir checker ignores the launch date. So even when it's still weeks to the launch, it just reports: yes ! Once the premise is listed, that is.

Vodafone are extremely lazy updating their data. From what I've seen they currently operate of a dataset from end August. So until they get their act together to update their database, no luck for your friend anyhow.

And the Airwire checker will tell you (on a weekly basis), if it's available, when it's proposted to be available, if you have a chance to get it or if you're just out of luck.

At the end of the day .. if you're only focused on one provider, then checking other providers availability checks is not getting you anywhere. No matter what Eir or Airwire or anyone else reports ... that doesn't make Vodafone update their data. And as long as they don't do that, you won't be able to order the product from them. Full stop.

/M

Oh ..

and then there's the issue, that Vodafone actually is very reluctant to upgrade you, unless you pay them more, while in contract.

/M

I was like saying to him , I reckon what they will want you to do is cancel your existing Vodafone Red connect first (and hell knows how much that would cost seeing as you are still in contract!) and then sign up as a new user to Vodafone fibre package

either way I have made myself look an idiot now because I said to him that I checked the eir website and that he can get fibre now... I shall have to tell him tomorrow that its just showing up that its available to order on the eir site but not live at the moment (or until a couple of weeks)

Patience is a virtue. At least there is progress. That's better than no progress.

/M

• Advertisement

maybe at the start of November or a couple of weeks from now- I will sit down and laugh at all this ... maybe :)

if i ever have some grandchildren and they tell me they are having problem ordering their 10gbps FTTH connection I can tell them about the time when I was waiting to get my 150mbps connection to my home and how long we had to wait for the villages FTTC to become live :)

Advertisement