Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish Rail plan level crossing closures on Cork line

Options
  • 25-10-2018 11:02pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Irish Rail have tendered for consultants to assist in the closure of level crossings along the Cork line.

There are still a number left around Ballyhea in Cork.

https://irl.eu-supply.com/ctm/Supplier/PublicTenders/ViewNotice/208813

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,667 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Is this normal practice for automating crossings?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Are these public road crossings, as at Buttevant, or just farmer's accomodation crossings?.

tabbey wrote: »
    Are these public road crossings, as at Buttevant, or just farmer's accomodation crossings?.

There is no farm crossings left, all public roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Do they not have their own engineers for this type of design work,? Or is it an assurance type thing, (our engineer watches the consulting engineer who watches the building companies engineer who watches the builders)

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Markcheese wrote: »
    Do they not have their own engineers for this type of design work,? Or is it an assurance type thing, (our engineer watches the consulting engineer who watches the building companies engineer who watches the builders)

Would have thaught they did and don't remember such tenders for other routes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

They may be short on engineering staff due to the design work for the Maynooth and Northern electrification

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Markcheese wrote: »

What would this engineer do from one end of the year to the next? It's not like Irish Rail have many of these projects

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭trellheim

trellheim wrote: »

Its closing or automation. They will unlikely get many fully closed.

L1011 wrote: »
    They may be short on engineering staff due to the design work for the Maynooth and Northern electrification

No I don't think this is a factor or it shouldn’t be. Leave this work to external people if its the case.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

CIE have begun a pre-railway order consultation with An Bord Pleanala for the replacement of seven manned crossings between Limerick Junction and Mallow

http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/305149.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 78,245 ✭✭✭✭Victor

trellheim wrote: »

You don't have to. They could provide a road along the side of the railway connecting to a bridge - existing or new - elsewhere.

Buttevent may be a greater problem because of the hill, but doing it right might mean they could close the roads under the low bridges to the south.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,386 ✭✭✭✭road_high

marno21 wrote: »
    CIE have begun a pre-railway order consultation with An Bord Pleanala for the replacement of seven manned crossings between Limerick Junction and Mallow

http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/305149.htm

Surprised there’s that many manned level crossings on that line? The Waterford line is lower priority and I think all the level crossings are auto now for some time

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

road_high wrote: »
    Surprised there’s that many manned level crossings on that line? The Waterford line is lower priority and I think all the level crossings are auto now for some time

Automation is expensive - very expensive. If you know you're going to remove the crossing entirely it may not pay back in staff savings quickly enough to bother

• Registered Users Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

road_high wrote: »

Waterford was done in conjunction with a signalling upgrade, i.e. there was budget and it makes sense due the integration between the systems. But they mainly upgraded not eliminated.

There are now no level crossings between Limerick Junction and Dublin nor are there are Dublin to Newry

Mallow - Limerick Junction is the least used section of the Dublin Cork line, not more than 2 trains an hour on average over the business day.

Still 3 manual on Waterford.

The only fully automated line is Mallow-Tralee AFAIK.

If they eliminate all these on Cork there will still be one just north of Limerick J (automated). Probably controlled from Mallow (?).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

Waterford was done in conjunction with a signalling upgrade, i.e. there was budget and it makes sense due the integration between the systems. But they mainly upgraded not eliminated.

There are now no level crossings between Limerick Junction and Dublin nor are there are Dublin to Newry

Mallow - Limerick Junction is the least used section of the Dublin Cork line, not more than 2 trains an hour on average over the business day.

Grange LC is between LJ and Thurles on the Cork Mainline.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Still 3 manual on Waterford.

The only fully automated line is Mallow-Tralee AFAIK.

If they eliminate all these on Cork there will still be one just north of Limerick J (automated). Probably controlled from Mallow (?).

https://goo.gl/maps/XvhQCcuQFt2VGUhU6

This is outside Rathmore on the Killarney side, I presume it is still there as the Google Maps are from 2009, I remember nervously crossing it once in 2008.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

theguzman wrote: »
    https://goo.gl/maps/XvhQCcuQFt2VGUhU6

This is outside Rathmore on the Killarney side, I presume it is still there as the Google Maps are from 2009, I remember nervously crossing it once in 2008.

It is still there.

IE have planning permission to close the crossing and route the road through a farmers crossing a few hundred metres further west but this hasn't been advanced yet

The N72 along there is to be realigned away from there too which will make a difference

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

It is still there.

IE have planning permission to close the crossing and route the road through a farmers crossing a few hundred metres further west but this hasn't been advanced yet

The N72 along there is to be realigned away from there too which will make a difference

That stretch of road immediately outside Barradubh village towards Mallow is a disgrace and it has more twists and turns than a hula hoop dancer. It would badly want upgrading and the road bridge they built back around 10-15 years should see the engineers shot at dawn for the ridiculousness of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

I imagine most of the crossings involved would be automated. There is one at Ballyhea that is closed at night, I imagine that could be closed permanently. I think the planning consent would be needed for the changes to the road and it's markings.

Options published

https://www.irishrail.ie/About-Us/Iarnrod-Eireann-Projects-and-Investments/Cork-Line-Level-Crossings-Project

1 outright closure, 1 upgrade to 4 barrier CCTV and 5 replacements with new road alignments

interesting spelling of Ballyhea.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Okon

Isambard wrote: »

FWIW I have seen it on some old maps as Ballyhay before...

but this is a new map.....I wonder do IE have to use the names set out in the original Act of Parliament...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

Isambard wrote: »

Ballyhay is the correct name (and before that it was Ballyhaura), there seems to be some uncertainty as to where Ballyhea came from, writings from 1837 are the first to use Ballyhea and now both seem to be used.

The LC is officially named Ballyhay which is the officially recorded place name for the townland and civil parish under the OSI and the Loganim database, Ballyhea may be in common use but it is not the official place name.

IE have lodged a Railway Order Application with An Bord Pleanala for this job:

https://www.pleanala.ie/en-ie/case/310286

Documents attached to the above link.

GM228 wrote: »
    Ballyhay is the correct name (and before that it was Ballyhaura), there seems to be some uncertainty as to where Ballyhea came from, writings from 1837 are the first to use Ballyhea and now both seem to be used.

The LC is officially named Ballyhay which is the officially recorded place name for the townland and civil parish under the OSI and the Loganim database, Ballyhea may be in common use but it is not the official place name.

Indeed, and it's spelled Ballyhay in "Irish Railways today" of 1967.

Ballyhay is the only one to be upgraded to a four barrier crossing controlled by CCTV. The other six are to be eliminated.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,066 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

IE have lodged a Railway Order Application with An Bord Pleanala for this job:

https://www.pleanala.ie/en-ie/case/310286

Documents attached to the above link.

Seems like an awful lot of work / compliance / documents / assessments, just to remove a few LC.

• Advertisement

Geuze wrote: »
    Seems like an awful lot of work / compliance / documents / assessments, just to remove a few LC.

Yes, bureaucracy gone mad.

Advertisement