Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The hub controller

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,672 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

nava wrote: »
    No it's only for 1 zone.

They are giving it free because the are doing via the Heating Control Grants so you might be able to get a better system for both zones using the grant.

I asked them about that, and apparently it's not that grant it's a different one. Was trying to wangle 2 controllers out of them for the 2 heating zones.

As it's only single zone, I gave up and have signed up to Electric Ireland to get a Nest @ €130 (along with a €200 switching bonus) then bought another Nest and boiler service (overdue) for €209 which comes with a free Google Home Mini. 2 Nests will control the 2 heating zones and hot water.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭chuck eastwood

I gave up on this today after several back and forth emails. I requested more info on the system and I asked a few times about zoning. Finally today they confirmed that it would combine my two zones into one which by any standard is a massive step backwards when saving money is concerned.

Quote from email

"As regards energy/cost saving and convenience it is better to have a single but you would lose the functionality of changing the the zones to different temperatures"

Frankly that statement is misleading. You simply cannot have a second zone on when not needed just because the controller isn't capable yet and make any saving.
    Having stated on their site that it can be used on zoned systems it's hard to have any faith in the company if the product is miss sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭dingdong1234567

Yeah, getting the same run around here to from this crowd. Really couldn't be bothered listening to the empty promises of installation week after week now for 3+ months from the hub controller. Not only is the system basic but it's being marketed as a efficient, money saving device however if they are saying your better of with a single zone when there are 2+ zones available then this statement is quite shocking as it's clear they haven't a clue what they are talking about. They are more like snake oil salesmen than anything at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jmBuildExt

No it's only for 1 zone.

They are giving it free because the are doing via the Heating Control Grants so you might be able to get a better system for both zones using the grant.
    If it was via that grant, you would have to fill out a seai form to confirm that they are claiming it on your behalf... Or you would have to explicitly apply yourself. Also, to be eligible for seai it has to be able to control 2 zones.

From the website its described as a trial...
    We're running a subsidised campaign to prove that with the Hub Controller Smart Thermostat you can save up to 26.4% on your heating bill.*

But in order to prove this, we need to test it. That's why we need your help. If you fit the criteria we'll install a free Hub Controller Smart Thermostat in your home!
    So for certain types of installations they will do it for free so they can prove some point or add some tagline to their marketing.
    Lookslike they are funding it themselves...
    A bit further digging shows the company is based in the Synergy centre in IT Tallaght (now TU Dublin) which is an innovation centre so it probably has some research element to it and prob funded publicly but its not part of seai or any other grant available to consumers (as far as i can see).

I got an email back from the guys at hub today stating that specific seai heat they are providing dictates that the product they offer only has one zone. The can offer a two zone solution but that is not what they are offering right now.
    This is the reply and it should clear up to some extent the limitations of what they offer and why.

"We can operate on multi zone systems but they are not part of the trial, hence why i have said its designed for a single zone in the trial period, the SEAI have given us specific instructions to go into single zone systems or people who are willing to switch from multi zone to a single zone"

I cannot understand the logic behind switching from dual or more zones into a single zone or why the SEAI would specify such a trial system. It is an instant loss of fuel.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭nava

jmBuildExt wrote: »
    No it's only for 1 zone.

If it was via that grant, you would have to fill out a seai form to confirm that they are claiming it on your behalf... Or you would have to explicitly apply yourself. Also, to be eligible for seai it has to be able to control 2 zones.

From the website its described as a trial...
    We're running a subsidised campaign to prove that with the Hub Controller Smart Thermostat you can save up to 26.4% on your heating bill.*

But in order to prove this, we need to test it. That's why we need your help. If you fit the criteria we'll install a free Hub Controller Smart Thermostat in your home!

So for certain types of installations they will do it for free so they can prove some point or add some tagline to their marketing.
    Lookslike they are funding it themselves...
    A bit further digging shows the company is based in the Synergy centre in IT Tallaght (now TU Dublin) which is an innovation centre so it probably has some research element to it and prob funded publicly but its not part of seai or any other grant available to consumers (as far as i can see).

Interesting, they did look for the GPRN/MPRn number, also wanted to check the bill showing the number when they came to install it.

I wonder if I could apply for grand from seai if I want to get a better system or upgrade my system.

You can apply for the 700 euro controls upgrade grant. You just need to get a listed plumber to do it for you - and it has to be a multi zone system.
    These hub guys probably are getting money from seai or some other publicly funded organisation, it sounds like a research project.
    But that hub controller scheme is not part of the usual seai grants that they offer direct to homeowners and end users. (they also offer grants for insulation, solar and heat pump installations)
    Maybe it is part of some desire to encourage people with single zone systems, who would have to do major re-plumbing work to avail of the current seai controls grant, to save energy.
    In that case it would be overly expensive to obtain a multi zone system, and so those type of home-owners would never bother upgrading the controls. Maybe these guys are claiming, or researching that/if their gadget can help those people save energy too.

Long story short ..... a free lunch doesn't come around that often, take it if you can get it :) - But I don't see anything un-toward about this crowd (even though they could be a bit more forthcoming with the technical details).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,743 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

"We can operate on multi zone systems but they are not part of the trial, hence why i have said its designed for a single zone in the trial period, the SEAI have given us specific instructions to go into single zone systems or people who are willing to switch from multi zone to a single zone"

I cannot understand the logic behind switching from dual or more zones into a single zone or why the SEAI would specify such a trial system. It is an instant loss of fuel.

that's either bull**** or the SEAI have lost their minds. Why would anyone change from multi-zone to single-zone.

Even as a trial, how can you tell if the controller is saving energy if you've simultaneously reduced the efficiency of your system by removing zones, it doesn't make any sense.

For people who are already single zone, maybe, but even they'd probably get more benefit from zoning their properties.

jmBuildExt wrote: »
    You can apply for the 700 euro controls upgrade grant. You just need to get a listed plumber to do it for you - and it has to be a multi zone system.
    These hub guys probably are getting money from seai or some other publicly funded organisation, it sounds like a research project.
    But that hub controller scheme is not part of the usual seai grants that they offer direct to homeowners and end users. (they also offer grants for insulation, solar and heat pump installations)
    Maybe it is part of some desire to encourage people with single zone systems, who would have to do major re-plumbing work to avail of the current seai controls grant, to save energy.
    In that case it would be overly expensive to obtain a multi zone system, and so those type of home-owners would never bother upgrading the controls. Maybe these guys are claiming, or researching that/if their gadget can help those people save energy too.

Long story short ..... a free lunch doesn't come around that often, take it if you can get it :) - But I don't see anything un-toward about this crowd (even though they could be a bit more forthcoming with the technical details).

Free lunch ? You do understand that this free lunch takes away your abilty to control separate zones therefore possibly doubling your fuel costs.
    For example. In my case the heating is on in the upstairs zone maybe 1 hour a day, downstairs maybe 6 hours. If I switched to this free lunch My fuel cost would rise by roughly 40% plus the cost of pumping to that zone that I don't need to be have to heat because the controller is not fit for purpose.
    Also it is not aimed at people with single zones, that would be logical of course. Here is a quote from the last email I got from hub yesterday.

" The SEAI have given us specific instructions to go into single zone systems or people who are willing to switch from multi zone to a single zone "

I am amazed that SEAI would back this as under no circumstance that I can think of can it save money. This could cost some homes the best part of an extra tank of oil a year running zones they don't need to

I wasn't clear above....I agree with you... I wouldn't install it on a system that already has multi zones.

But if i had a single zoned system, I'd have no probs using it especially if it was free.

If they are making statements like that
    " The SEAI have given us specific instructions to go into single zone systems or people who are willing to switch from multi zone to a single zone "
    They should be giving the technical details to back it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

I've a Hub Controller Installed a few months now, I reckon I was lucky and was early on the list. According to them they are doing install when they have a number of people signed up in an area so there is a bit of luck involved.
    If you have been waiting try and get some people who live close to sign up.

I think it is great personally. I'm on a single zone system myself and agree would not be great in multi zone system.

In terms of funding they have got some grants as far as I know. There is also a link with UCD so probably some research money.

I did have an issue where it stopped working but to be fair I sent an email at 6:30pm and got a call by 8pm with someone trying to resolve it remotely. They couldn't but arranged for someone to come out two days later to fix the issue (would have come out the next day but I wasn't around).

It probably not the best smart heating controller out there but when its for free its well worth it if it suits you.

Happy to answer any other questions people have about my experience with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,638 ✭✭✭✭listermint

cruizer101 wrote: »
    I've a Hub Controller Installed a few months now, I reckon I was lucky and was early on the list. According to them they are doing install when they have a number of people signed up in an area so there is a bit of luck involved.

I think it is great personally. I'm on a single zone system myself and agree would not be great in multi zone system.

In terms of funding they have got some grants as far as I know. There is also a link with UCD so probably some research money.

I did have an issue where it stopped working but to be fair I sent an email at 6:30pm and got a call by 8pm with someone trying to resolve it remotely. They couldn't but arranged for someone to come out two days later to fix the issue (would have come out the next day but I wasn't around).

It probably not the best smart heating controller out there but when its for free its well worth it if it suits you.

Do you know if it works with Google Home ? google Assistant.

i.e can you turn it on or off via google home

listermint wrote: »
    Do you know if it works with Google Home ? google Assistant.
    i.e can you turn it on or off via google home

Not that I'm aware of. I can't see any indication that it does so probably not.
    I tried saying hub controller to my phone and it just googles it, doesn't open app.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Gerard93

Besides turning Boiler on and off through the app or touchscreen can you control the temperature up or down ?
    Any other functionality
    My system has only 1 x Zone but has manual TRV on the radiators
    I have been approved for it but that was was in January not holding my breath but if I get it will take it !

Here is two screenshots from app so in the first you can set temperature, boost or turn on.
    The second let's you set a schedule.
    At the moment that's basically all the functionality.
    There is a holiday mode also

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Gerard93

Here is two screenshots from app so in the first you can set temperature, boost or turn on.

Thanks for the update Cruizer

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Honestfrank01

Right folks I have had this for a few days now must say I am happy out compared to the old control I had which was and old crapy clock looking thing. I am sure there is much better systems out there but for it being free and to be able to turn on and off from you phone it ticked boxes for me. Can't fault it plus cosmetics wise it looks 100 times better than what I had. And just hooked up to alexa today works fine too

• Registered Users Posts: 23,269 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Is the schedule on or off ? Is it not temperature based?

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭IJS84

I saw these units for sale in woodies at the weekend, they were selling them for about €200 i think. So the free offer these guys have might not be all that bad depending on what set up you were looking for

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Ph3arTh35k1llz

Anyone know if the HUB Controller works with a Combi Boiler?
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Italix

Would anyone know of a way to stop people from changing the settings, I don't think there 8s a pin, perhaps a kind of lockable box that could go over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Ph3arTh35k1llz

ted1 wrote: »
    Is the schedule on or off ? Is it not temperature based?

Options are..
    It will always run on schedule if set but the heating won't come on if over temperature set on themostat.
    Other options are
    Off....
    Boost. Will run for an hour unless it hits set temp
    On. Run continually keeping the set temp

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Just checking to see if folks have any further positive or negative feedback on this offer? We have a single zone gas boiler at present, with crappy push button timer, so anything would be an improvement on this.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭nava

Just checking to see if folks have any further positive or negative feedback on this offer? We have a single zone gas boiler at present, with crappy push button timer, so anything would be an improvement on this.

Yes as you have 1 zone only it will work great, I had it now for about 4-5 months with no big issues, you can schedule as needed, switch on/off from the app on your phone tablet, only requirement is that you must have wifi

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

Is there a way to tell it to ignore the schedule because it's Summer and I don't want my boiler on?

Is there a way to tell it to ignore the schedule because it's Summer and I don't want my boiler on?

I just deleted all the scheduled periods. It's easy to add and modify them, so can just set them up again come autumn.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Does the schedule not include a temperature?

As in set the heat to 20c between 6pm and 11pm, or similar.

It would only come on then if the temp is actually less then 20c.

That is how most smart thermostats work. I've the same schedule all year round, but it basically means the heat never comes on this time of the year.

There is a temperature set also, not per period but an overall one.
    So yeah if you had it scheduled but it was already at temperature it wouldn't come on.
    I turned it off as say in the morning it wouldn't necessarily be at the desired temperature but I don't really need it coming on either.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

There is a temperature set also, not per period but an overall one.
    So yeah if you had it scheduled but it was already at temperature it wouldn't come on.
    I turned it off as say in the morning it wouldn't necessarily be at the desired temperature but I don't really need it coming on either.

Eh, that is pretty poor for a smart thermostat so IMO

My Netatmo Thermostat has schedule like so:
    - 8am to 11pm - 21c
    - 11pm to 8am - 18c

(You can go finer grained if needed, e.g. different weekday versus weekend schedules and as many time slots as you want, etc.).

So the heat will only come on at those times if the temperature is lower at those times and will switch off if it reaches that temp.

It is more the idea of maintaining your home at a desired temperature, rather then the more old fashioned (and poor) idea of the boiler turning on between certain hours.

• Advertisement

bk wrote: »
    Eh, that is pretty poor for a smart thermostat so IMO

I'd agree its not the best in that it doesn't allow for full level of control (it may be something they are looking into and could be implemented via software update).

If someone is buying I wouldn't necessarily recommend it but as a free unit I'm happy with it, the main thing I like is being able to boost on my way home so house is warm when I get home.

Advertisement