Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No heating in rented apartment

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 sweirdo

Well, sorry for abandoning this thread for so long. Someone came in to get the heat fixed on Friday (unannounced - again). We turned it up for like 10 minutes, before it gave a loud bang and sparks were flying and the thing went down again. So we had the whole thing again, calling the agency etc etc.

They got a different repair man in on Monday and it works now, so we're good.

To be fair, when I move in somewhere I don't immediately check if the heating is working if it's not cold. I assume if it doesn't I'll be told about it, especially when asking what kind of heaters there are in the apartment. If anyone else does that - good for them, we didn't. End of story.

Concerning asking for compensation: A working heating is included in the minimum standards for rented accommodation, it should be fixed within 3-5 days, and it was over twice the amount for us. It isn't too far-fetched to ask if there is some regulation in place or if someone else had a similar issue and was successful. Especially with the rents being as high as they are. Plus, there was the issue with the landlord coming in twice now without letting us know beforehand.

I have lived in a rented apartment before, although that was elsewhere. You'd definitely have gotten compensation in a similar case there. Otherwise I wouldn't have asked.

Anyways, it's fixed now. I suppose the thread can be closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

There’s no timeframe unless to listen to threshold. And the agency did make a number of attempts to fix albeit unsuccessful at first. It’s fixed now so what’s the point unless you want to sour relations with agency or landlord and putt your hand up for termination at the first opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

There’s no timeframe unless to listen to threshold. And the agency did make a number of attempts to fix albeit unsuccessful at first. It’s fixed now so what’s the point unless you want to sour relations with agency or landlord and putt your hand up for termination at the first opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭daithi7

Compo culture cancer, evident here big time Imho.

Your heating wasn't working, and yes they were a little slow in getting it fixed for you (tradesmen are busy these days & hard to get), and it took a couple of gos,which is just the nature of these things sometimes but it was fixed for you.

You didn't even check it when you moved in. You're complaining about not getting notice about fixes and getting furniture removed etc and enquiring twice about compensation....

I'm glad I'm not renting to you.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Your contract should detail how issues re maintenance are to be addressed by both parties i.e. Timely repair by LL and arrangement of entry to carry repair by tennant.
    Very doubtful there is compensation available to you in regards your original questions. Have never heard anyone receive any but sometimes a good will gesture might be provided.

• Advertisement
Advertisement