Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,825 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

• Registered Users Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Inviere

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Anyone know off the top of their head if the Japanese PSP X and O select/back config can be swapped back to EU/US setting? I don't think it effects games just the system, would be nice to swap off possible with CFW.

Not seeing any nice examples of boxed 3003 models, found a nice clean one in Japan though.

Seems it's trivial to do on CFW via the recovery menu - https://itstillworks.com/12264595/how-to-change-the-button-commands-on-a-psp-sony

• Registered Users Posts: 34,461 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Retr0gamer wrote: »

That looks absolutely gorgeous! Would be a great game to get on the Switch.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,825 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Two massive fan translation dropped recently, both for the Wii.

The first is Earth Seeker, a very late RPG for the Wii that never got a release in the West despite interest by XSeed. Supposed to be very good.

https://www.romhacking.net/translations/5571/

Also Night of Sacrifice, a Wii horror game. Don't know much about this one:

https://www.romhacking.net/translations/5575/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,951 ✭✭✭Doge

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Speaking of those 1up cabs, did I have a dream, or is it real, that the Sinden guy is teaming up with them for their next 1up shooter??

Seems real alright:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Arcade1Up/comments/h0oa0t/big_buck_hunter_utilizing_sinden_lcd_lightgun/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

I was about to say that the arcade1ups wouldn't have the grunt to run time crisis 2/3 but Big Buck Hunter looks like a quite graphically intensive game to emulate.

That coupled with the Sinden Lightgun surely mean it's going to be at a premium price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Inviere

Time Crisis II arcade isn't going to happen in an Arcade1Up....the emulation is Namco System 23/Super System 23 is FAR from complete enough to run these games on high end machines...let alone what Arcade1Up will put in their cabs.

The only way to run it would be to emulate the PS2 port....and again, Arcade1Up have produced nothing to date remotely capable of emulating PS2 games. That could change for these cabs, but considering the value of the Sinden gun, plus the vastly increased computing requirements, plus the cabinet themselves...it'll be priced out of the water.

I'd be pretty sure you could buy a jamma cab, fit a small PC in it, buy a Sinden gun, and art/decals...cheaper than what such an Arcade1Up cab would cost.

The PS2 port is even better than the arcade version too, enhanced graphics and plenty of additional content in the form of challenges / mini games.

Maybe they'll release a cab with time crisis 1 or point blank trilogy.

I'm not to bothered about using the Sinden Lightgun on a tiny screen / cab pereonally.

Literally just ordered a prebuilt Asrock Deskmini a300 for it with 16GB of RAM and s ryzen 3400g off eBay in the last hour. Wish me luck!
    Going to use it primarily as an emulation machine especially for the Sinden gun.

Going to apply to betatest the gun this weekend when the invite goes out so I'll get my hands on it sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

I'll have to get one of those shinden guns to test but in the meantime the aimtracks are perfectly fine. There is a cool addon app called demulshooter and when you link it to a front end like hyperspin to launch with the gun games there really is nothing like it.

Takes a bit of time to set everything up at first as you need to calibrate the aimtracks in the OS then calibrate each game individually in the service menu. Not to mention getting demulshooter working with all the emulators... I imagine it will be the same with the shinden.

You do need to stand way back at least 2 metres from the screen with the aimtracks though. I wish someone would make a classic crt gun. Surely there is enough demand for it.

I found my Aimtrack a nightmare to keep calibrated so I sold it years ago.
    Are the Shinden out in the wild yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

They start shipping in July for the normal version and a few months later for the recoil versions.

The aimtraks do need a lot of space between you and the screen to work perfect. I thought they were bad at first as it was dropping out but if you stand right back from the screen they work fine. I guess that's why those sega naomi cabs put the barrier between you and the screen forcing you to stand back as they use similar tech.

• Advertisement

517307.jpeg

Rocking out for 5 minutes to that awesome ocean loading music.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Mega Everdrive Pro coming out soon and looks good, It might be my next purchase, I was tempted by the Mega SD when it was released but this has a few extra features that I would like to play with such as Nes FPGA core build in.

Master of the Universe

Sega CD support? bloody amazing!

I'm still using a V1 Everdrive from at least 15 years ago, might finally be time to upgrade.

Master of the Universe

It should be O for select anyway. Fecking western playstation games changed that and I don't know why.... or how as the button on the SNES corresponding to O was always select.

I dug out my PSP yesterday after all the talk in here and lashed abour 20 games onto an SD card.

Playing through Chinatown Wars, which is absolutely brilliant. Played it years ago on the DS and had forgotten how good it was. (The Dope Wars rip off with selling drugs is ironically, rather addictive)

But yeah, the X to confirm is driving me mental. The amount of times I'm in one of those drug dealer menus and accidentally press O to confirm - end up going out of the menu and the conversation. :mad:

I think what's especially messing me up is I play a lot of Nintendo handhelds, including the Switch. My brain doesn't mind X to confirm on a Playstation but seems to totally fail when it comes to handhelds.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,551 ✭✭✭✭briany

Doge wrote: »
    517307.jpeg

If there was a 'press A to skip' on those screeching loading screens, I'm pretty sure I would have done so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

o1s1n wrote: »
    I dug out my PSP yesterday after all the talk in here and lashed abour 20 games onto an SD card.

Playing through Chinatown Wars, which is absolutely brilliant. Played it years ago on the DS and had forgotten how good it was. (The Dope Wars rip off with selling drugs is ironically, rather addictive)

But yeah, the X to confirm is driving me mental. The amount of times I'm in one of those drug dealer menus and accidentally press O to confirm - end up going out of the menu and the conversation. :mad:

I think what's especially messing me up is I play a lot of Nintendo handhelds, including the Switch. My brain doesn't mind X to confirm on a Playstation but seems to totally fail when it comes to handhelds.

I have always associated that button location with confirm and 'O' to back out but it is what you are used to.

Master of the Universe

I have always associated that button location with confirm and 'O' to back out but it is what you are used to.

Yeah that would mean you grew up playing a Playstation in the west :D

I think the first Playstation game if I remember correctly which I played and it had the more traditional O to confirm was FFVII. At the time I found it really odd as everything else up until that point had been X.

Most early japanese PS1 games were O to confirm. A few western games had X to confirm and it somehow stuck. FFVII was but that changed around the time of FF8 which changed to X for confirm. Think Resident Evil stayed with O to confirm. The last hold out was Metal Gear Solid which stuck with O to confirm all the way to MGS3 on the PS2. It's no surprise that when the series sold out with MGS4 and was terrible it had changed to X to confirms :pac:

Nintendo has stuck with O to confirm and it's always felt more natural even when I switch between nintendo and other consoles I've to readjust.I just find it weird how and why it changed. There was no logical reason as the SNES set the precedent and it always used to annoy me on early PS1 when western games changed button layouts.

Master of the Universe

I wonder was it as simple as a bit of Sony branding and wanting to stand out and be different from it's competitors?

Forgot Metal Gear Solid used O too. It's more comfortable alright IMO, my thumb naturally rests there on a pad.

• Advertisement

Might have been. Generation X. Button X. It's a lot more 90's than O button.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

briany wrote: »
    If there was a 'press A to skip' on those screeching loading screens, I'm pretty sure I would have done so.
    This is an SD loader for a Spectrum in the modern era is so important!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,919 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    This is an SD loader for a Spectrum in the modern era is so important!

Nah, maybe I like the misery. :pac:

Genuinely still enjoy the loading. Used to be tricky bitd trying to load a game late at night when you were supposed to be asleep. Lump of loo roll about the best muffler of the speaker you could get. Until the newer spectrums had the heady heights of sound coming through the TV which you could, gasp, turn down!

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Infernum

Last time I posted here, I was talking about Sensible Soccer.

Has anyone else here played Super Arcade Football on Steam? It's VERY reminiscent of Sensi, with goofy arcade mutators that makes it so much fun.

You can:

Disable fouls
    Add offside (which is disabled by default!)
    Play zorb football
    Have meteors hit the pitch at random times during game
    Disable the ball going out of play, so you can still play outside the lines
    Warp from one end of the pitch to the other (this can be used to score cheap goals heheh)
    Have speed ramps on the pitch
    Have sleepy goalkeepers, so nets are always undefended

I know it's not retro as such, but it plays and feels a lot like an old school Sensi clone. Thought someone might be interested!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,359 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Guys, what would be the best option for retro gaming on handheld? Buying one of those dedicated to emulation, 2nd hand PSP/DS, mobile with controller? The ability to use headphones would be essential for me. Budget, probably max 100eu. Any advice would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

Kolido wrote: »
    Guys, what would be the best option for retro gaming on handheld? Buying one of those dedicated to emulation, 2nd hand PSP/DS, mobile with controller? The ability to use headphones would be essential for me. Budget, probably max 100eu. Any advice would be appreciated.

I'd go with a psp. It has the advantage of the usual emulators, plus playstation 1 games.

Or you can import a genuine Yongleefuk 4000 from China, made of rice crispies

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

PSP Go is great, compact and has decent built-in storage.
    See them from time to time and they still look great.
    If you can stretch to a Vita it might be an even better buy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭bmorrissey

Not really retro or arcade, but one console that i never got into was the DS/3DS and im thinking of picking up one to mess around with (R4 cards etc), is it worth my time getting a 3ds over the regular DS? really an outsider in terms this handheld, so im not really tuned into any decent games for 3ds

The big issue with the DS on 3DS is you have two ways to play games, stretched on the 3DS screen which isn't a 1:1 pixel ratio so you get a blurry image, or in a pixel perfect mode which reduces the size of the screen and you get crystal clear images. It's not a deal breaker but I do prefer to use a DS for DS games over a 3DS.

As for getting into DS games, the DS for me is the best console every made in terms of library. It's got such a massive library full of amazing games, a lot of which are brimming with creativity and charm that was totally absent from the PS360 era. For me it has far and away the best library of games with such an eclectic mix of genres and game types and experimentation. Fantastic system for RPGs as well. It's a great system to explore the weirder and more wonderful games of it's library outside of the most well known. And it also where the amazing Etrian Odyssey got its start. I think I'm at about 400 DS games in my collection most of which I'd consider well worth playing.

The 3DS while not as good as the DS I feel is a fantastic console as well. It doesn't quite have the same amount of excellent games as the DS and hasn't the same inventiveness as found on the DS. I also find the library leans more heavily into JRPGs which is great it you like them. Still an amazing system to own. The one big ****ty issue is the region locking of the system but there are ways around it.

So yeah, go for it. You've got what is far and away the best games library of any system to explore (fight me) and the library of one of the best games consoles ever made to try out. I'm a bit jealous!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭bmorrissey

The big issue with the DS on 3DS is you have two ways to play games, stretched on the 3DS screen which isn't a 1:1 pixel ratio so you get a blurry image, or in a pixel perfect mode which reduces the size of the screen and you get crystal clear images. It's not a deal breaker but I do prefer to use a DS for DS games over a 3DS.

As for getting into DS games, the DS for me is the best console every made in terms of library. It's got such a massive library full of amazing games, a lot of which are brimming with creativity and charm that was totally absent from the PS360 era. For me it has far and away the best library of games with such an eclectic mix of genres and game types and experimentation. Fantastic system for RPGs as well. It's a great system to explore the weirder and more wonderful games of it's library outside of the most well known. And it also where the amazing Etrian Odyssey got its start. I think I'm at about 400 DS games in my collection most of which I'd consider well worth playing.

The 3DS while not as good as the DS I feel is a fantastic console as well. It doesn't quite have the same amount of excellent games as the DS and hasn't the same inventiveness as found on the DS. I also find the library leans more heavily into JRPGs which is great it you like them. Still an amazing system to own. The one big ****ty issue is the region locking of the system but there are ways around it.

So yeah, go for it. You've got what is far and away the best games library of any system to explore (fight me) and the library of one of the best games consoles ever made to try out. I'm a bit jealous!

Awesome, i might pick up a DS XL then if i can pick one up for a decent price, worst case ill by-pass the pixel ratio and pick up a 3DS, im not gonna be using it on the go much if i pick one up so, ideally im looking for the bigger screen.

Sounds fun, i gotta do some research then and get a hold of some games for the DS

thanks a mill

Advertisement