Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Not much other than use the case for a modern PC or keep it vintage and put OS 9 on it instead of OS X.

I take it home next time in there and see if it boots.

Will prob move it on.

I’ve got an SGI Indy up there too, but I could never get it to boot an OS!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Something for @Retr0gamer this:

Still early access but has potential at least. Cool to see the Micro Prose name again - makers of the greatest footy game before Sensi was a thing. 🙂

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,969 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The N64 version of glover is coming to steam.

Found it to be a very underrated platformer on the n64.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Oh, that game is mental, Mario 64+ Marble Madness, looks great too.

And, for some reason, I want to play Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,969 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Post on the Krikzz forums from a third party that Krikzz and his family are on their way to Spain.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Thank goodness for that, good to know he and his folks are safe

Third party post so not verified but hoping they are safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

• Registered Users Posts: 6,213 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Nice reference on the new poster for the Sonic movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,955 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

(Niche) Pun courtesy of Bill Harbison ZX Spectrum Graphic Artist extraordinaire.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement

I'm looking forward to the new Sonic movie, I really enjoyed the last one.

And, Tenacious D... dang!

New romhack that might interest some people here:

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/6660/

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Does Eternal Darkness really go for $100?

(I think I've a copy knocking about)

Had a look about and it seems to go for 40-45 .

Post edited by Dr Bob on

Maybe the ntsc version? Haven't really been following GameCube prices as it one of the machines I pretty much picked up everything I wanted on it during it's run.

Yeah U.S. pricing tends to be very different , and messes up trying to work out pricing over here Master system games are a nightmare for this , and oddly enough Atari VCS games are almost as bad.

I've sold off most of my GC stuff as I'm not really a nintendo collector , and it just doesnt hold any interest to me , (bar one or two things like eternal Darkness and Rogue Leader).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Yeah, I recall American posters over on Racketboy being a bit baffled that I was overjoyed at getting Paper Mario: TTYD for €15. That was back when 3DGames were a thing in Dublin and would just spin a wheel when pricing stuff.

Speaking of pricing , I've gone through the collection and I have 3 spare MD1s and 3 SMS2s (2 Alex Kid and 1 Sonic) . I've a ton of spare megadrive controllers so thats not an issue , but should I go off and buy PSUs and cables for them off the internet, and sell them as complete kits at a higher price , or just sell em as is for cheaper? (and before anyone says it , I'm good for bags of tayto cheers ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Unless you're going down the AliExpress/bulk route, buying in cables and whatnot looks to wipe out much of the gains you'd make selling it complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,538 ✭✭✭Inviere

I'm always on the lookout for spare controllers Bob, if you fancy selling any loose give me a shout 👍

• Advertisement

Yeah Aliexpress isnt too bad pricewise , but it means putting things on hold for a month plus.

I've stuck the master systems up on market place , anyway , if anyone has a MD1 they have all the cables they need already so if they fancy playing SMS games and dont want to try and get a power base converter it might be worth it .

I'll see what I can do regarding controllers - My megadrive ones all need tear down and rebuild , as some of them aren't working 100%, so if I've spares left after all that I 'll give you a shout .

This is a sure fire candidate for a funnyplaying IPS conversion - http://www.adverts.ie/26355117

• Registered Users Posts: 5,787 ✭✭✭Jack burton

I got a bag of GC stuff a while ago from a friend and Fire Emblem was in there.

Only realised then the crazy money it goes for. Tempted to sell it but I can't since it was given to me and the guy might call over and wonder where it is 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 12,345 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Registered Users Posts: 12,345 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Registered Users Posts: 34,607 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

This evening I thought it would be a good idea to see if 130 or so Megadrive games would work on the top of my new shelves in a single line. I could then use a little step ladder type thing to get them down. All elegant like as you see in old libraries.

Pushed them back in against the wall with an attic pole.

Unfortunately the reality was very different! I am not nearly tall enough and the step thing needs about two more steps haha

Took me about 40 minutes to get them all back down :eek: won't be doing that again!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,864 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Master of the Universe

That's an absolutely gorgeous piece of hardware but am I right in saying it completely replaces the Nomad's sub board with with a new board?

I'm always a bit uncomfortable with where exactly we draw the line with these things. Am all for screen replacements and modifying the existing hardware to unlock clock speeds and regions - but totally replacing boards does feel a bit like it's not really the original console anymore.

From the quick look I had, it's reversible if for some bizarre reason someone wants to go back to the original screen.

As for originality with replacement boards, I'm OK with it for sub boards like in this case the screen control board, all it's doing is screen control. The actual logic and brains of the Nomad is still there....so for me, no real difference at all.

You get consoles with all sorts of different revision/manufacturers parts inside, that at times, you have to ask what even is original hardware....the Megadrive comes to mind, loads of board revisions, different models, different chips etc.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Well I suppose my own distinction would be, whatever rolls out of a Sega factory in the console is original hardware, be it different revisions etc.

I do get what you mean about the brains of the console still being there, I suppose the question really being though at what point is it no longer really the original console. If I transplant everything from a Nomad into a completely new shell, is it still a Nomad? Brains are still the same.

The OSD looks amazing, but should a Nomad have an OSD? Is it still a Nomad? Am I just being contrarian and annoying for the sake of it? :D

Advertisement