Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,764 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Had a recent order from Analogue in the last month or two, and had no issue at all. Proper tariff codes in place on the documentation etc....wouldn't worry about them at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,509 ✭✭✭Inviere

Ah great, I was hoping someone was using those as I've seen them listed. I have read some not so great things about them, but then again, EVERY psu I've read about has bad stories too....so perhaps just a few bad eggs. Pretty sure I've seen these used on Amiga's on the RMC channel too, so you reckon worth a punt Steve yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,856 ✭✭✭Steve X2

I find them very good. They say the run cold, but that's not true at all as if you're running a PSU for hours its going to generate heat. But it's nothing to worry about and isn't hot, just warm after a few hours. I've run the Amiga 600 and 1200 continuously for 12-24 hours straight regularly while putting the Amiga under a heavy workload and never had problems or any fluctuation in the voltages(the OLED is handy for checking that sort of thing). I just checked the lifetime uptime on the screen there and its 864 hours without issue.

One very positive thing I did notice is I had some slight interference on the screen sometimes with the original PSU's. Once I switched to these I've not noticed any interference(BVM and LCD via OSSC).

Worth a punt? I'd say yes. You could build one yourself that works just as well sticking a Meanwell RT-50 or RT-65 in a box and wiring up. But these are a very neat setup the way they've done them.

@Steve X2 great Steve, I'll pull the trigger on one of those nice oled ones so, much appreciated. Just have to figure out why their PayPal option isn't working now....i swear, the world just doesn't want me to buy a c64 Psu!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,544 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Have never heard of these, think I'll pick one up for my A1200 - thanks for the heads up.

I recently managed to break my Sega trio PSU. Had it absolutely years, I remember actually having to go on a waiting list for one!

I see there's someone in France who's cloned them and sell them for quite a bit cheaper here if anyone wants to get rid of their Sega PSU warts one and for all:

https://en.retrogamesupply.com/products/power-supply-all-in-one-for-sega-megadrive-genesis-mega-cd-32x

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,856 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Just a heads up, I got some Sega and Nintendo PSU's from that retrogamesupply crowd a couple years ago. They worked ok, but I'd say they are very cheap chinese imports that they've modified or had modified in China. They work, but I did notice extra video interference using them. Also, the cable was tiny.

They might have improved since them though.

Post edited by Steve X2 on

I bought a keelog PSU there through their Ebay store, nice grey OLED one. Need to buy a proper soldering reflow station (controllable iron & hot air gun), and a decent desoldering gun too. Then I'm going to recap the C64 & all the Migs. Might get back into some repairs modding too when I get some proper equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

All those cheapo switching power supplies would have a lot of ripple on the output which can cause interference unfortunately.

These old consoles were designed to handle low frequency ripple that you get with the older transformer based power supply and the not the high frequency ripple from switch mode supplies so newer is certainly not better in this case...

That's precisely what brought me to Ray Carlsen in the US....he's a retired engineer who hand makes PSU's for Commodores etc. But then An Post happened, and that idea went out the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Ya the C64 is a bit of pain with its 9VAC requirement. I made one a while back, basically stuck a good open frame psu and a 9VAC transformer into a semi decent case.

So I've got 5V, 9V, 12V 9VAC all available, just need to change the cable to suit the console/computer, only psu I need on my desk now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,203 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I see a Ridge Racer and Tron Arcade1up were announced, I see there's also now OutRun ($650) and The Simpsons 4 player ($700!). Hard to keep up, but they're not coming here so at the same time who cares...

The X-Men Vs Street Fighter one would be good for when people are over.

Considering all the money resting in people's bank accounts in the last year I'm surprised these aren't coming to Europe (or not that I've seen anyway!)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The Ridge Racer one looks pretty good, at least in terms of the content, but there's questions about the build quality

• Registered Users Posts: 13,564 ✭✭✭✭briany

Are we all excited for the return of Gamesmaster later this year? It won't be Dominik Diamond returning to host, although you never know - he may be the new Gamesmaster instead. The main host will be Robert Florence, a Scotsman with a good pedigree in gaming himself, having been a host on Consolevania and Video Gaiden. They may include some retro type challenges. I imagine they'll have to do something of the kind to help appeal to the presumably older demographic they'll be going for.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,869 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I was totally meh about it until I saw Rab was attached to it and now it's a must see.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,963 ✭✭✭Doge

Anyone with the Oculus Quest 2 excited to play Resident Evil 4 VR soon?

I got to the Military dude on the Island after the castle on a PS2 gameplay a few years back but ran out of ammo I think!

Same with Resident Evil 2 on the PS1, got to the last boss and only had a knife to my name and had to bring the rental back!

Hopefully i can play through it in VR and be more aware of the ammo I'm using haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Said I'd just watch a few clips on YouTube now, instantly put on this gem

Interesting story behind that. Diamond claims that Dave Perry had gone to the producers before the episode began filming wanting the answers to the questions that would be asked in the quiz leading up the final, apparently because Perry wanted to protect his persona of being the 'Games Animal' (I think he had some games book in the works around this time as well), and when Diamond found out about this, he was furious and became determined to scupper Perry's plan by introducing a game he knew Perry had never played before for the final v Kirk Ewing.

Perry disputes this version of events, though, and says that Diamond had been growing more hostile toward him as the series had gone on and it culminated in this event.

Even though Perry was conceited, I always thought he was good on the show and fitted in well given the era that was in it. Diamond's bringing out a Gamesmaster retrospective funded through Kickstarter and one of the Kickstarter pledges listed is 'peacemaster' where, for 5 grand, Diamond and some fan with cash to burn will travel down to Dave Perry's tattoo studio, get matching tattoos and then Diamond and Perry will go with this fan across the road to a pub where Perry and Diamond will commentate on a Gameboy game of the fan's choice. Sounds pretty bizarre, and I'm not sure if Perry's even been consulted, but in a way it sounds like a nice coda to the whole thing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,869 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

To be honest I kind of get the feeling Dave can't handle a joke and Diamond is the kind of guy that if the gets a reaction is going to keep at you.

I think there's a bit of truth in both accounts. I believe Dave Perry when he says he felt a growing hostility from Diamond, and I believe Diamond when he says Perry asked for the answers. Combine those two and you can see why Diamond was determined to really get Perry on that show. Also, Kirk Ewing, who had become the co-host, was Diamond's best mate and I can well imagine that Diamond would have preferred to see his best mate triumph over Perry.

The first two series of the show were the best, to me. Diamond had a much cheerier personality back then and the show had a great buzz to it. When he returned, he became edgier and grumpier (possibly to do with the ego and all the cocaine he was doing at the height of the show).

Started listening to the HG101 podcast where they try to rank every game ever made in an scientific manner. Really enjoying it. Last one I listened to they rightfully blasted Robocop vs. Terminator for the garbage euro jank it is. They have a weird fixation though with Blue Stinger which is high up the list mostly because of the character Dogs Bower.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Robocop vs terminator is an absolute treasure. I love it

They said it should be called Robocop vs. Men in vests due to the lack of Terminators.

I don't find it awful but find it a really bland dull game. It's like a bad version of Turrican.

Heads up in case you missed the first print, bitmap are doing a second print run of the hg101 jrpg book:

https://www.bookdepository.com/Guide-Japanese-Role-Playing-Games-Bitmap-Books/9781838019143

Master of the Universe

The second half of the game is full of Terminators, they clearly haven't properly played this masterpiece of a game. For shame HG101, for shame.

It's a bazillion times better than Turrican. Why? Because Turrican doesn't have a single Robocop or a single Terminator.

Actually I had a 'woah' moment watching Robocop a little while ago - there's a window smash sound in it at one point, I think it's when Boddicker blows up Morton and his house - it's the exact same window smash noise in the game. Really jarring when you notice it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Sounds like an addition to the Cho Aniki franchise!

They did get that far as they said the levels just turn into wandering through caves.

I remember the game getting really **** them as the terminators don't disintegrate after taking one hit like human enemies and become bullet sponges which makes the game a chore as you are inching forward to try not take damage.

Master of the Universe

Plasma rifle and they're gone in on shot.

Again, just not playing it properly. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,203 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I haven't gotten far but I like what I've played of RoboCop Vs Terminator. Not sure what it is, just lots of loud shooting fun.

I'll have you know I've beaten the game! Such insolence!

I remember the secret was to hang on to the ED209 weapon, you can keep it if you die if you are quick enough to change weapon.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Actually I've mentioned this before but have to mention it every time Robocop Versus The Terminator on the Megadrive is brought up as it's really not as known as it should be - I certainly didn't know about it back in the day when I had it as a kid.

There's a cheat that lets you play the 'real game'.

Real Game

This trick will let you see the game as it was meant to be played. Begin a game, then pause. Now press C, B, A, B, B, A, B, B, C, B, B, C, C, B, B, C, B, C, A, C, C, A, A, A, B, B, B, A, C, A. When you unpause the game the all-male cast will be joined by skeletons and female killers. You'll also see a new "Game Over" screen and there are some additional death and fire animations.

Advertisement