Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Troubleshooting Siro install

Options
  • 22-10-2018 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭

Speed to modem is as good as expected..

https://flic.kr/p/2bdPeCq

Seems to be well over 500mb/s was suggested I try Carlow Blacknight as it can handle the speeds, but it doesn't seem so.

Speed to tp-link av1200 master powerline adapter sending unit

https://flic.kr/p/2bdPeNL

Speed to second tp-link av1200 master powerline adapter receiving.

https://flic.kr/p/2bdPeSU

So, excluding any other powerline adapters it seems between the powerline adapter connected to modem and the first receiving adapter we are losing approx. 400-500/mb/s. This is due to using a long extension cable.

Would replacing the extension cable with a properly installed electical socket near modem improve things?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

kleefarr wrote: »
    Speed to modem is as good as expected..

https://flic.kr/p/2bdPeCq

Seems to be well over 500mb/s was suggested I try Carlow Blacknight as it can handle the speeds, but it doesn't seem so.

Speed to tp-link av1200 master powerline adapter sending unit

https://flic.kr/p/2bdPeNL

Speed to second tp-link av1200 master powerline adapter receiving.

https://flic.kr/p/2bdPeSU

So, excluding any other powerline adapters it seems between the powerline adapter connected to modem and the first receiving adapter we are losing approx. 400-500/mb/s. This is due to using a long extension cable.

Would replacing the extension cable with a properly installed electical socket near modem improve things?

It isn't recommended at all to use extension leads with powerline adaptors

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭lucast2007us

Who is the provider? Digiweb?
    Do you mind me asking how long did the install take?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

It isn't recommended at all to use extension leads with powerline adaptors

I kind of knew that, but wasn't given the option when installer turned up.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=108407569&postcount=5392

So an installed spur would be better?

Who is the provider? Digiweb?
    Do you mind me asking how long did the install take?

Vodafone. See link last post. About an hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

I kind of knew that, but wasn't given the option when installer turned up.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=108407569&postcount=5392

So an installed spur would be better?

What sort of speeds are you expecting through powerline networking?

• Advertisement

What sort of speeds are you expecting through powerline networking?

With a gigabit connection anywhere between 400-500mb/s?

With a gigabit connection anywhere between 400-500mb/s?

I think under ideal conditions you'd be lucky to get half that, more likely you'll be below even that. For gigabit connections you really should be using Ethernet.

I think under ideal conditions you'd be lucky to get half that, more likely you'll be below even that. For gigabit connections you really should be using Ethernet.

Ok. Ethernet via powerline is reasonable, albeit only around 50mb/s, but no lag, drop outs and web pages load quickly. So it seems not worth the expense of getting a spur installed then?

Ok. Ethernet via powerline is reasonable, albeit only around 50mb/s, but no lag, drop outs and web pages load quickly. So it seems not worth the expense of getting a spur installed then?

I meant replacing the powerline with an Ethernet cable. I can't tell you if installing a spur is going to have a beneficial effect on speeds or not as I don't know.

I meant replacing the powerline with an Ethernet cable. I can't tell you if installing a spur is going to have a beneficial effect on speeds or not as I don't know.

Ok. Thanks for input so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭BArra

your opening post is worded that you have more than the 2 av1200 tp-links? Do you have other Powerline adapters which are different in the mix?

Can you just connect the two av1200
    - one connected to spur by the router
    - second connected to spur in other room where you want it and test speed?

there are a lot of variables with Powerline adapters and you won't know unless you test yourself

I see there is now av2000 rated adapters also, but as far as I am aware mixing and matching different rated adapters will only let them all run at the lowest speed rating amongst them

as navi pointed out for a 1gbit connection, ideally you need a cat6 ethernet cable going from the router to where you want it

edit; you are also only pulling 500mb direct from the router, so I am assuming your connecting devices ethernet isn't upto 1gbit speeds, you should be seeing 900-950mb downstream

BArra wrote: »
    your opening post is worded that you have more than the 2 av1200 tp-links? Do you have other Powerline adapters which are different in the mix?

Can you just connect the two av1200
    - one connected to spur by the router
    - second connected to spur in other room where you want it and test speed?

there are a lot of variables with Powerline adapters and you won't know unless you test yourself

I see there is now av2000 rated adapters also, but as far as I am aware mixing and matching different rated adapters will only let them all run at the lowest speed rating amongst them

as navi pointed out for a 1gbit connection, ideally you need a cat6 ethernet cable going from the router to where you want it

Yes, another 2 tp-link 500 and a tanda 500.

Losing about 300mb/s from modem to sending powerline av1200 might be down to ethernet cable supplied with modem, but you would think it could handle gigabit. Might order a good cable.

I mean your first image which is a Speedtest from the router is 510.53 mbps, you should be getting 900-950Mbps if you are directly connected with a cat6 cable into a 1gbit capable ethernet port of a laptop/macbook/pc/Mac

for the Powerline testing, disconnect the other Powerline adapters and test with just the 2 av1200 devices, its possible the others are dragging your speed down if on the same electrical circuit, use the spur sockets, its not recommended to use extension cables with Powerline as its detrimental to their throughput

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Honestly. Scrap the powerline adapters. Run network cable. Get 900+ Mbit/s on every end of the network.

That's a seriously wasteful setup.

I spend a night running network cables through the attic. Well worth it.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Bought ferrari, filling it with olive oil.

EoP will never manage near your WAN speeds. And its half duplex.

I mean your first image which is a Speedtest from the router is 510.53 mbps, you should be getting 900-950Mbps if you are directly connected with a cat6 cable into a 1gbit capable ethernet port of a laptop/macbook/pc/Mac

for the Powerline testing, disconnect the other Powerline adapters and test with just the 2 av1200 devices, its possible the others are dragging your speed down if on the same electrical circuit, use the spur sockets, its not recommended to use extension cables with Powerline as its detrimental to their throughput

It's likely the machine he is using to test is also not up to >900Mb speed leading to 510Mb. It's highly unlikely to be the patch cable that came with the router at fault.

It's likely the machine he is using to test is also not up to >900Mb speed leading to 510Mb. It's highly unlikely to be the patch cable that came with the router at fault.

Using what looks like the Windows Marketplace Oookla app does not bode well for this being on a decent machine.

The only benefit is the upload speeds :) ... It's like a cheap way of getting 200M-FD :D

/M

oh I agree regarding just using cat 6 runs, but if thats just not possible testing with just the 2 av1200 units on respective spurs will give their absolute best results

oh I agree regarding just using cat 6 runs, but if thats just not possible testing with just the 2 av1200 units on respective spurs will give their absolute best results

It's ALWAYS possible. The question is, if you are going to do it.

Powerline adapters are NEVER an option. Just no.

/M

• Advertisement

Thanks guys. Will look at cable options, but for now will stick with powerline.
    Connection is solid and speeds are usable.

Was just seeing if anything could be done to improve it for now, but really everyone using the net is happy so things not too bad.

Thanks for input.

Was just looking through modem and saw the event log.

Seems to be a lot of firewall and system errors. Is that normal?
    Ignore VOIP errors, that should be resolved today.

10-23-2018
    09:09:04
    TCP Scan SRC=74.125.193.99 DST=51.37.85.62 PROTO=TCP SPT=443 DPT=46329
    Firewall
    10-23-2018
    09:08:43
    receive response of OPTIONS message, rspcode is:200
    Voice
    10-23-2018
    09:06:51
    receive response of OPTIONS message, rspcode is:200
    Voice
    10-23-2018
    09:06:50
    two minutes timeout send option again:120000
    Voice
    10-23-2018
    two minutes timeout send option again:regstate2
    Voice
    10-23-2018
    options message, fail retry time is:120000
    Voice
    10-23-2018
    09:06:36
    SRC=192.168.1.9 DST=64.58.116.132 PROTO=TCP SPT=34059 DPT=443 DROP
    Firewall
    10-23-2018
    09:06:15
    SRC=192.168.1.7 DST=40.77.229.199 PROTO=TCP SPT=51301 DPT=443 DROP
    Firewall
    10-23-2018
    09:06:09
    SRC=192.168.1.7 DST=185.34.189.179 PROTO=TCP SPT=51307 DPT=443 DROP
    Firewall
    10-23-2018
    09:06:09
    SRC=192.168.1.7 DST=104.108.178.68 PROTO=TCP SPT=51287 DPT=443 DROP
    Firewall
    10-23-2018
    09:06:06
    Firewall
    10-23-2018
    09:06:01
    Firewall
    10-23-2018
    09:05:59
    SRC=192.168.1.7 DST=104.108.178.68 PROTO=TCP SPT=51287 DPT=443 DROP
    Firewall
    10-23-2018
    09:05:59
    SRC=192.168.1.7 DST=185.34.189.179 PROTO=TCP

And the list goes on. Wouldn't attach.

Ok, I'll put my hands up and admit I was a bit silly.

Thinking about the way I had the powerline sender and first receiver set up, I changed first powerline receiver this morning and am now getting 300mb/s to that first receiver (90mb/s before). All other TP-Link powerline adapters are putting out around 80mb/s (40mb/s before) with the exception of the Tanda which is getting 50mb/s.

So all in all a lot happier, rock solid and pings of 5/6ms. :D

What did I do?

Well, I had the connection from sending powerline adapter, which was getting it's power from the extension lead, plugged in the pass-through socket of the first receiving powerline adapter. :rolleyes:

So once I changed the extension lead supply removing the first receiving adapter and plugged that into the adjacent socket, the resulting speed to all powerline adapters increased . :o

Thanks all. ;)

Something's changed..

https://www.flickr.com/photos/152492921@N04/44875271584/in/datetaken/

Speeds down to 300mb/s at modem.

Vodafone contacted. :mad:

Vodafone tested line a few times and have decided to reset it.
    If still the same will send out a new modem.

what I would give to have even those speeds :(

assume you have power cycled the modem, changed ethernet cables from modem to 1gbit capable device, tried on a few high capacity Speedtest servers?

Also .. be aware .. it's not an uncontended product.

You will have to speedtest the way, they require and to a server, that they specify. And even then, if you don't see the full speed all the time. That's still normal.

My Gig FTTH can drop to 500-600 Mbit/s at peak times. Just busy in the cluster. GPON, the way SIRO and OpenEIR roll it out, is designed with 15:1 contention at worst.

How much contention you get shows you the quality of your ISP. There are differences between providers, even though they use the same last mile (SIRO). Massive differences.

/M

assume you have power cycled the modem, changed ethernet cables from modem to 1gbit capable device, tried on a few high capacity Speedtest servers?

Yes. Used recommended server via ookla app. See edited post above.
    Marlow wrote: »
    Also .. be aware .. it's not an uncontended product.
    Really, I was told I shouldn't get any contention issues, lag or drop outs.

You will have to speedtest the way, they require and to a server, that they specify. And even then, if you don't see the full speed all the time. That's still normal.
    Yes used their recommended server with supplied ethernet cable
    My Gig FTTH can drop to 500-600 Mbit/s at peak times. Just busy in the cluster. GPON, the way SIRO and OpenEIR roll it out, is designed with 15:1 contention at worst.

How much contention you get shows you the quality of your ISP. There are differences between providers, even though they use the same last mile (SIRO). Massive differences.
    Um, hopefully line reset will do it, or new modem, but I am only one in estate that has it, so far. :o

/M[/QUOTE]

Strangely, even though speeds are still more than old 60mb/s, connection is pretty bad. Pings still good 5mb/s, so guess that's why they think it may be a modem issue.

• Advertisement

Really, I was told I shouldn't get any contention issues, lag or drop outs.

Sales people say a lot of BS to get a sale. There is no way, that any provider can deliver you those speeds uncontended at that price. It would mean, that all providers operate at a loss.

An uncontended GigE Internet from an upstream in for example in a datacenter in Dublin costs 600-1500 EUR/month + VAT. And a provider has to buy multiple lines to ensure, that they have a backup, when something goes offline somewhere.

So that has to paid .. and then the entire infrastructure to bring it out to you.

/M

Advertisement