Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE 2's 40th birthday

Options
2»

Comments

Always liked the yellow 2 on the black background logo, with the little heart in the curve of the 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

Always liked the yellow 2 on the black background logo, with the little heart in the curve of the 2.

I think what you are referring to is the former RTÉ Radio 2FM logo unlike the:
    rte2 > Network2 > n2 > RTÉ TWO > RTÉ 2 television station logos. The old Radio 2FM logo had a heart shaped into the numeral 2 alright and looked well in it's day.

lgs 4 wrote: »
    What year did that 2 logo appear ,is that RTE 2.

I have never seen this RTE 2 tv channel logo over the years - perhaps it was never actually rolled out I suspect?

I think what you are referring to is the former RTRadio 2FM logo unlike the:
    rte2 > Network2 > n2 > RTTWO > RT2 television station logos. The old Radio 2FM logo had a heart shaped into the numeral 2 alright and looked well in it's day.

You are, of course, correct. No wonder I couldn't find it.

330px-2FM_logo_in_1997.jpg

You are, of course, correct. No wonder I couldn't find it.

330px-2FM_logo_in_1997.jpg

Ah sure I had to think for a second and then realised you had one of the 2FM logos in mind. The 2FM Beat on the Street, Lark in the Park, Roadcaster etc; would all have used this particular visual logo. This logo was around from around mid 80's and lasted a long time probably into the 2000's but I know it was replaced and updated by 2010 if not late noughties. In fact, RTE2/Network 2 used promote 2FM before closedown telling viewers to tune in to certain DJs on air until 01:50am or though the night when 2FM eventually starting broadcasting 24hrs a day around March 1989!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I think what you are referring to is the former RTÉ Radio 2FM logo unlike the:
    rte2 > Network2 > n2 > RTÉ TWO > RTÉ 2 television station logos. The old Radio 2FM logo had a heart shaped into the numeral 2 alright and looked well in it's day.

rte2 > Network2 >NETWORK TWO > n2 > RTÉ TWO > RTÉ 2

latest?cb=20100518072442

Elmo wrote: »
    rte2 > Network2 >NETWORK TWO > n2 > RTÉ TWO > RTÉ 2

latest?cb=20100518072442

2FM radio logo probably in use from around mid/late 2000's decade and was subsequently replaced by later version(s).
    This logo never did anything for me unlike the previous version used.

In 1986, when celebrating RTÉ Televisions 25th anniversary they introduce the logo below.

250?cb=20150820050607

• Registered Users Posts: 34,122 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

That logo was pretty terrible on RTE1 but the RTE2 version was even worse.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

It lasted less than two years on air. Amazingly it remained RTE’s corporate logo for another seven years after that but was practically never used on air.

• Advertisement

In 1986, when celebrating RTÉ Televisions 25th anniversary they introduce the logo below.

250?cb=20150820050607

I forgot about that RTE 2 tv channel logo - if this was first introduced in 1986 then it would have been replaced by Network 2 re-brand which rolled out around September/October 1988.

RTE 1 TV channel logo used show the "St. Brigid's Cross " effect in the visuals before it morphed into "1" for RTE 1.

https://roaringwaterjournal.files.wordpress.com/2014/02/logos-rte.jpg

See below clip taken from around mid-late 1980's as I recall a green logo in Summer 1989 (definitely not as late as 1990 as suggested on YouTube)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1M8ykFuYxo

Below is RTE 1 logo that was used around 1992/1993 or thereabouts I reckon!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42s5bfpquhU

NETWORK 2 (which replaced RTE2 TV) some footage of it's launch day mixed with other clips from RTE 1 and other cable tv channel hopping I suspect! Some interesting footage on here actually!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Txgf36-b0E8

icdg wrote: »
    It lasted less than two years on air. Amazingly it remained RTE’s corporate logo for another seven years after that but was practically never used on air.

There wasn't much of a change, I think prob the only scheduling change that I think might have happened was a 9pm comedy Monday to Friday. Biggest change was with Network 2 with the lead up to introduction of TV3, which ended up happening in 1998, though the licence was given in 1989.

NETWORK 2 would also return to the RTÉ fold in 1996 with an even shorter lived ident and logo.

Below is RTE 1 logo that was used around 1992/1993 or thereabouts I reckon!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42s5bfpquhU

Very bland, but at least not offensively bad like the pseudo-3D one. That was a bad case of "we have computer graphics, we're gonna use it" with no idea in relation to creating something that didn't look sh!te.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

NETWORK 2 (which replaced RTE2 TV) some footage of it's launch day

Typically, Peter Collins stumbles over his words within seconds of the channel's official launch :rolleyes:

Very bland, but at least not offensively bad like the pseudo-3D one. That was a bad case of "we have computer graphics, we're gonna use it" with no idea in relation to creating something that didn't look sh!te.

RTE1 TV was probably never "cool" - RTE2 TV before it's revamp to "NETWORK 2" was all over the place. NETWORK 2 was a successful relaunch and captured the minds of Ireland's youth at the time. Home & Away has been a cornerstone of Channel 2 as RTE acquired it for broadcast before ITV back in the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

NETWORK 2 (which replaced RTE2 TV) some footage of it's launch day mixed with other clips from RTE 1 and other cable tv channel hopping I suspect! Some interesting footage on here actually!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Txgf36-b0E8

RTE used show NFL?

Just an hour long highlights show iirc. I don’t recall them ever showing any live games, except perhaps the Super Bowl at one stage.

Just an hour long highlights show iirc. I don’t recall them ever showing any live games, except perhaps the Super Bowl at one stage.

I have a feeling Myles Dungan may have introduced this coverage. Myles also presented golf and athletics coverage from studio over the years and did presenting stints on some of the Summer Olympics like Seoul '88 too if I recall. Myles succeeded Pat Kenny as presenter of "Today at 5" news & current affairs on Radio 1 many years back. Later he would go on to host "Rattlebag" an arts programme that used run on Radio 1 on weekdays from 2:45-3:30pm when "Liveline" used finish 15 minutes earlier than today. When Liveline's time slot was extended, "Rattlebag" was replaced by "Mooney" from 3:00-4:30pm which was later replaced by the current programe: "The Ray D'Arcy Show".

Myles is currently a presenter of "The History Show" broadcast on RTÉ Radio 1 on Sunday nights at 6:00-7:00pm

https://www.rte.ie/radio1/the-history-show/

I had it in my head it was some sort of syndicated show NFL Films produced. But it’s thirty years ago now and I can’t really remember.

• Advertisement

I had it in my head it was some sort of syndicated show NFL Films produced. But it’s thirty years ago now and I can’t really remember.

Oh you may be right - I just recall Myles used pop up doing some niche sports programming on RTÉ TV. I seem to recall him doing things like Golf, possibly Athletics, additional/relief presenter on Olympic Games back in the day like Seoul '88. Maybe RTÉ just relayed the syndicated version of Superbowl final without any in-house studio presentation. Not sure if Myles ever got involved in any other tv sports coverage back in the day.

Some of the leading RTÉ TV Sports in-studio anchor presenters back in the day included:

Michael Lester GAA TV coverage like The Sunday Game, Championship fixtures
    Brendan O'Reilly/Liam Nolan main presenters "Sports Stadium" on Saturdays
    Bill O'Herlihy main presenter Int'l Soccer/World Cup/Summer Olympic Games
    Tom McGurk main presenter Rugby
    Robert Hall/Tracey Piggott main presenters Horse Racing
    Jimmy Magee presented Boxing, Cycling, Athletics, "Superstars" tv series
    George Hamilton did "Know Your Sport Quiz" with Jimmy as The Memory Man!
    Peter Collins used do Formula 1 motorsport and soccer relief presentation
    Myles Dungan, Golf & Athletics / Shane O'Donoghue Golf

Some of main voice Commentators for RTÉ TV Sport back in the day included:

Fred Cogley/Jim Sherwin/Ryle Nugent did Rugby
    George Hamilton/Jimmy Magee/Stephen Alkin on Soccer
    Micheál O'Heihir, Micheál Ó'Muircheartaigh, Ger Canning, Marty Morrissey, Seán Óg Ó'Ceallacháin, Mick Dunne, Des Cahill, Brian Carthy - Gaelic Games
    Jim Sherwin, John Horn, Caroline Murphy, Matt Doyle? did Wimbledon Tennis commentary.
    Noel Andrews, Jimmy Magee, Mick Dowling on Boxing
    Brian McSharry used do Equestrian>Showjumping
    Micheál O'Heihir, Tony O'Heihir, Ted Walsh - Horse Racing
    Aonghas McAnally - Snooker commentary

In fairness to RTÉ2 (as Network 2/TWO/N2) they did try some original programming between 1988 to 2004.

Nighthawks, The End, Later On 2, A Scare at Bedtime, DFTG, Rodge and Podge, The Blizzard of Odd. Along with some drama that RTÉ wouldn't have considered before.

In fairness to RTÉ2 (as Network 2/TWO/N2) they did try some original programming between 1988 to 2004.

Nighthawks, The End, Later On 2, A Scare at Bedtime, DFTG, Rodge and Podge, The Blizzard of Odd. Along with some drama that RTÉ wouldn't have considered before.

I think the first relaunch to NETWORK 2 around October '88 was a clever well-thought out strategy. It defined Channel 2 as the Irish TV station aimed at catering for Ireland's youth demographic much like it's sister radio station, Radio 2FM.

On the other hand, RTE 1 TV was regarded as "the national station" for the establishment and more mature audience much like RTE Radio 1 does for listeners on the wireless.

"Nighthawks" with Shay Healy & Co. was such a brave new concept way before it's time. One episode involved an interview with a former politician whose revelations led to the subsequent fall of a former Taoiseach and leader of Fianna Fáil at the time. Tanya and Boris were characters in the Nighthawks café with celebrity guests/music/entertainment and you could not forget stand-up comedian Kevin McAleer with his hilarious sketches! Anything could happen on Nighthawks as it was unpredictable which was it's appeal.

"The End" late night continuity at the wkds. probably launched the professional careers for Sean Moncrieff and Barry Murphy.

"Later on 2" initially went out three nights a week (i.e.) Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday with different concepts & presenters on each night. Best refer to Wikipedia for full explanation here:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Later_On_2

"A Scare at Bedtime" was the original title for the show featuring Podge & Rodge.

"Don't Feed The Gondolas" was popular too in it's day and people like Brendan O'Connor, Dara O'Briain and Sean Moncrieff were able to proceed with their tv careers from projects like this.

"The Blizzard of Odd" was not something I watched a whole lot of but I glanced at YouTube clip and it does ring a bell alright. I have not seem Colin Murphy on tv for ages. I think he contributed to another show called "The Panel" fronted by Dara O'Briain in subsequent years. Of course Dara later went on to Mock the Week on BBC.

Drama such as:

"Love is the Drug"
    http://www.iftn.ie/?act1=record&only=1&aid=73&rid=867&tpl=archnews&force=1

"Pure Mule"
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0477939/

"Bachelors Walk" (comedy-drama series)
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0296307/

Other dramas on RTÉ TV such as "The Clinic", "RAW", "Love/Hate", "Taken Down" etc; would premier on RTÉ One tv.

Anyone recall RTÉ 2 (probably before it's first major relaunch to NETWORK 2) used re-broadcast "WOGAN" the BBC TV chat show hosted by the late Terry Wogan in a late night slot for a while. I reckon those viewers who had access to BBC 1 TV in those years would have opted to watch the show going out earlier on BBC 1 at 7:00pm Monday, Wednesday & Friday.

I understand that WOGAN as shown originally on BBC 1 TV was usually broadcast live from the BBC Television Theatre in Shepherd's Bush, London although; there were some exceptions.

RTÉ 2 in it's first 10 years showed quite a lot of BBC/ITV output.

Terry Wogan was a master at handling some difficult or awkward guests such as this one with Bette Davis on "WOGAN" in 1987!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_AFHcBeNoM

Another memorable interview was with David Icke, an interview which Terry later came to regret subsequently.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NapHiWsoFXI

Wogan invites David Icke back for interview again on "WOGAN Now & Then" following their original controversial interview.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtfTrF4AEhA

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

mt usa and vincent hanley. great tv on a sunday afternoon. a chance to see music videos. it was actually a good show and he was a good presenter.

rte on the other hand - a waste of money imho.

RT2 in it's first 10 years showed quite a lot of BBC/ITV output.

It was originally set up largely as a means for non-cabled viewers to access the most popular British TV shows; for nationalistic reasons, RTE(1) had traditionally been home-grown programmes combined with a large dose of American dross.

It was originally set up largely as a means for non-cabled viewers to access the most popular British TV shows; for nationalistic reasons, RTE(1) had traditionally been home-grown programmes combined with a large dose of American dross.

Also that Coro St would have aired on RTÉ2 at the same time, sorry I thought Wogan aired at 7:30.

Also that Coro St would have aired on RTÉ2 at the same time, sorry I thought Wogan aired at 7:30.

Coronation Street storylines broadcast on RTE2 were for many years behind ITV in the UK and it often broadcast in Republic of Ireland at different times and more nights in the week in order to play catch-up. In those days the show was only going out about two times a week in 30 minute slots (including adverts). I'm sure it went out on RTE2 at 7:00pm in that channel's early days and I think there may have been another time slot of 6:30pm for a while before it eventually settled on it's 7:30pm time slot - of course the double episodes now involve the additional 8:30pm slot.

Emmerdale Farm (later renamed Emmerdale) which was originally set in Beckingdale was also behind with it's storylines on RTÉ1 and I think it went out after Live at 3 in the afternoons at one stage. When Emmerdale Farm was renamed Emmerdale, the village of Beckingdale was also changed to Emmerdale!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwMBay3leYI

Emmerdale was behind on RTÉ but RTÉ were showing it 5days a week and catching up by the summer time, until Emmers went 5 nights in the late 1990s. They were 3-6 months behind when it when to TV3.

• Advertisement
Advertisement