Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bonkers pricing

Options
  • 21-10-2018 8:31am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭

So,
    As I'm a fan of Outrun 2006, I was doing a spot of googling and came across a title in series I wasn't aware of before.
    Apparently Outrun 2006 Coast2Coast had a Japanese only progenitor in the form of Outrun 2 SP, on the PS2.
    It's essentially a conversion of the arcade game, and came with a soundtrack CD on release.
    So, says the little Ciderman at the controls inside my head, I'll be having that....
    The cheapest one is $200!!
    https://www.ebay.ie/itm/142846347330
    Whaaat?

Any more examples out there I wonder??
    More games on the PS2 or elsewhere that have wobbled off into nuts territory?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,098 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Rule of Rose for Playstation 2, not even that good just a weird game. $200 pal version is even higher

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I got it once upon a time from Amazon.
    At the time it was a happy combination of the seller not knowing what it was and they were also a bulk seller based in the Channel Islands.
    As a result it cost less than €100.
    Patience is often very helpful, just wait and most games will pop up for okay money

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭geotrig

What's the difference re so and coast2coast I always assumed c2c was just the console version of sp

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The PSP version of C2C never came out in Japan, so they changed the code so you no longer need the line up to unlock stuff.
    There is also some costume "changes" that make one of the companion outfits more revealing... make of it what you will.
    Other than that it all seems broadly the same.
    I had hoped for something like the initial Xbox release of Outrun 2, with Scudrace tracks as unlockables, but it was not to be :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

I've wanted that game for years but it's been expensive for as long as I can remember. Do you have the Sega Ages 2500 Outrun game for the PS2?

• Advertisement

buy the arcade cab its nearly cheaper !:pac:

I've wanted that game for years but it's been expensive for as long as I can remember. Do you have the Sega Ages 2500 Outrun game for the PS2?

I do, I have it as part of the PAL Sega Ages collection, it's.... okaaay... I guess...

Not a patch on either the arcade original or Outrun 2/SP/C2C though.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I do, I have it as part of the PAL Sega Ages collection, it's.... okaaay... I guess...

Not a patch on either the arcade original or Outrun 2/SP/C2C though.

You're right there, I don't think anything beats the Saturn game in fairness, it's amazing for a home conversion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,206 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Not sure if I'm losing my memory or if we already had a pricing thread on OutRun...

I was expecting a bit more from the Master System version, but I suppose it is an 8bit system. I haven't seen it on the Mega Drive, apart from Turbo OuRun etc and the Saturn version is Japanese only. Seems like it wasn't really released much on Sega consoles?

I think I'll stick with the Xbox 360 version. C2C is great on PSP though.

That was me as well!
    It was about the mental price of Outrun 2006 on the Xbox!
    But this thread was supposed to be a more general look at the trajectory of retro game prices.

• Advertisement

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Not sure if I'm losing my memory or if we already had a pricing thread on OutRun...

I was expecting a bit more from the Master System version, but I suppose it is an 8bit system. I haven't seen it on the Mega Drive, apart from Turbo OuRun etc and the Saturn version is Japanese only. Seems like it wasn't really released much on Sega consoles?

Outrun was released on the Saturn in Europe and US as part of the Sega Ages series. It was also released on the Dreamcast in Japan as part of a compilation but the Saturn game is still the best.

41405324_290558901542989_1791236997358425322_n.jpg?se=7&ig_cache_key=MTg3NDIzMjE0MzE1MDMxNTQ0MA%3D%3D.2

For some reason I thought Sega Ages was a Mega Drive compilation a la Sonic Jam! D'oh! Guess I'll add it to the list :)

What are the prices like of the other Outrun titles, like on the Master System and Megadrive.
    Turbo Outrun, Outrunners and I think there were a few others, no?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,928 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I heard people are actually charging money for Legend of Dragoon and people are willing to pay for it.

Legend of Dragoon was good, there I said it...

So what time will the Spanish Inquisition be coming to get me

We're already outside....

With the fluffy cushion....

For some reason I thought Sega Ages was a Mega Drive compilation a la Sonic Jam! D'oh! Guess I'll add it to the list :)

You should, it really is one of the best games on the Saturn.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭Doge

Anyone ever play the C64 port of Turbo Outrun?
    It's a bit of a masterpiece from the in game graphics to the menu animations and soundtrack by Jeroen Tel / Maniacs Of Noise.

Only con is that it's pretty short but certainly sweet.

In fact it seems to blow away ports on other systems with the exception of the mega drive:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

I think at one point, while I was trying to rebuy certain Saturn games, they were going up in price in real time before my eyes. Just crazy.

Maybe crazier, I haven't played them in years. I can only imagine what prices are like now.

For whatever weird reason, I've ended up with a bunch of odd deep fear discs (like 3 disc 1's and 2 disc 2's, but those are just the loose ones)

If I was to try pinpoint the exponential rise in game prices, it was approximately 3 years ago, maybe 4, worldwide. Why? I don't know!

beejee wrote: »
    I think at one point, while I was trying to rebuy certain Saturn games, they were going up in price in real time before my eyes. Just crazy.

Maybe crazier, I haven't played them in years. I can only imagine what prices are like now.

For whatever weird reason, I've ended up with a bunch of odd deep fear discs (like 3 disc 1's and 2 disc 2's, but those are just the loose ones)

If I was to try pinpoint the exponential rise in game prices, it was approximately 3 years ago, maybe 4, worldwide. Why? I don't know!

I have a load of theories as to why but prices definitely start to rise way before that ,the boom years and recession played big on this I think, as well as nostalgia. During the boom years money was "cheap" and very readily available too all ,everything was disposable and this was worldwide .when the money dried so did the disposablness of all we owned. If anything something items during those times where well undervalued.

I think some sellers saw the market and pretty much ruled /ruined it.

• Advertisement

Everything old is new again.
    Perhaps it was the low prices of yesterday that were the aberration, when the real cost of good older games was always going to be more.
    Decent and genuinely rare titles were always going to attract a premium.
    On a brighter note you can probably buy Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe and Transformers for the PS2 for less than a tenner for the pair, so there's still some gold out there for lead prices!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,928 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Knock knock.

It's the good taste police.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Knock knock.

It's the good taste police.

Knock knock

It's the girls from Frozen

LET IT GO

And do you wanna build an everdrive for the playstation mini
    so we can all play some sweet sweet dragoon
    AND Tombi lets put some Tombi on there.

Could be a regular here, but is €165 for Burning Rangers a tad steep, or is it the going rate??
    https://www.adverts.ie/arcade-retro/sega-saturn-games/14478492

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Could be a regular here, but is €165 for Burning Rangers a tad steep, or is it the going rate??
    https://www.adverts.ie/arcade-retro/sega-saturn-games/14478492

I think the only accurate-ish way to judge going prices is eBay sold listings. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if it's up there now, nothing makes sense in Saturn land!

Sometimes I don't know what to think of some game prices. Japanese only titles like Ikaruga or DonPachi are expensive but something that was mail order only like Vampire Chronicle can be had for €30 while at the same time PAL Street Fighter games on the Dreamcast are a bit pricey.

House of the Dead is €65-80 depending on the weather but there's been so many of them listed I'm asking myself if it's even worth it because apparently it's not that hard to get.

I thought the Dreamcast did worse than the Saturn but it seems any shooter or fighting game I look at on Saturn is expensive, even Japanese versions. The Saturn as a whole seems a bit rarer than the Dreamcast. I have very few Saturn games and I don't find myself window shopping per se. Plenty of cheap games on the Dreamcast you can take a punt on.

Could just be me too, depends on the games you're looking at and maybe part of it is that I don't know the Saturn as well as the Mega Drive or Dreamcast.

It's more to do with demand than anything. Look at Radiant Silvergun and Earthbound. Plenty of copies and not rare but the demand is there.

The Saturn has always had more demand from collectors than the dreamcast. Also a lot of the best Saturn games only had a Japanese release which makes them harder to come by unlike the Dreamcast which only has a few games that didn't make it to PAL or US and are playable with no Japanese.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,592 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Radiant Silvergun is a really interesting one as it doesn't seem to have risen in price at the same ratio as other games over the last few years.

I bought that and Panzer Dragoon Saga about 7-8 years ago.

PDS was €80 and Silvergun was closer to €100 (so Silvergun was the more expensive game at the time)

Now Silvergun seems to go for about €130, so not much of an increase, whereas PDS is in the region of €250-300.

I think the Dreamcast and PS1 shooters are catching up quickly with the Saturn ones. Saying that there's still some great games available on both consoles for reasonable money.

• Advertisement

I wonder if a Japanese copy of Under Defeat has gained in value......

Advertisement