Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2018/2019 Off-Season Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

White Sox and Nationals both saying they are out on Harper. Which of course means he’ll sign with one of them.

Nats gave money to Corbin. It does appear as if the team is moving on but I wouldlove to see him come back. I think if he does it will be for 330 on 10 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

White Sox and Nationals both saying they are out on Harper. Which of course means he’ll sign with one of them.

Nats gave money to Corbin. It does appear as if the team is moving on but I wouldlove to see him come back. I think if he does it will be for 330 on 10 years.

Does anybody else think giving a ten year contract to any player is slightly ludicrous

Good to be watching games again, even if they are meaningless with players you’ve never heard of before.

ShyMets wrote: »
    Does anybody else think giving a ten year contract to any player is slightly ludicrous

Probably but it’s the only way the you’ll get the big names to sign with you. Teams probably say to themselves if we can get 6-7 good years out of them then anything else is a bonus. Especially if they’re able to defer some of the money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Sounds like the Phillies are the favourites for Harper now.

Sounds like the Phillies are the favourites for Harper now.

Dodgers back in play according to ‘sources’.

Will this ever end?

Dodgers back in play according to ‘sources’.

Will this ever end?

I'd be shocked if they were. Sounds more like agent talk to drive up the price.
    I'd love if he ended up forced to take $250 over 10years.

I'd be shocked if they were. Sounds more like agent talk to drive up the price.
    I'd love if he ended up forced to take $250 over 10years.

Yeah, that’s probably true. I reckon he’d sit out as opposed to taking less than Stanton’s $325.

Just read more on the Dodgers/Harper story. Apparently the source is someone who spotted Dave Roberts and some Dodger executives in Las Vegas. FFS, they could have been up to anything there. That’s all it takes to start a rumour it seems.

• Advertisement

Just read more on the Dodgers/Harper story. Apparently the source is someone who spotted Dave Roberts and some Dodger executives in Las Vegas. FFS, they could have been up to anything there. That’s all it takes to start a rumour it seems.

Its probably a nothing story. Still from a Mets perspective, I like the idea of Harper in LA

If the Dodgers actually do sign him, I hope its a shorter deal. 10 years is ridiculous.

If the Dodgers actually do sign him, I hope its a shorter deal. 10 years is ridiculous.

Apparently it is. The rumour is they’re only offering a short term deal which he has said he won’t sign. But that was a few weeks back and if Philadelphia is the only side offering 10 years and he’s not too keen on playing there, maybe he’ll change his mind.

Well to be fair Harper does live in Vegas and why would Dave Roberts be there in the middle of spring training?

Well to be fair Harper does live in Vegas and why would Dave Roberts be there in the middle of spring training?

It seems they did indeed meet and it went well according to Roberts, whatever that means.

Igotadose wrote: »
    60 day DL in 3...2...1... Just kidding!

On the good side of this, that good looking rookie from last year, McNeil, probably is back to playing the infield. Wasn't sure why they acquired Lowrie (for a lot of $$ btw, like $10m/year for 2 years), with McNeil looking serviceable at least.

And, of course, there's no diagnosis yet so the sky hasn't fallen so far.

And now Frazier. 2 down already.

Latest Harper rumour: Phillies have offered him more than $300 million guaranteed.

No pitch clock until 2022.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/26089271/mlb-prepared-ditch-clock-2022

That'll keep the grumpy veteran pitchers happy anyway. But I’m not a fan of the 3 batter minimum for pitchers that is also proposed.

I'll just leave this here. First stupid injury of the season

https://twitter.com/NYPost_Mets/status/1100870104781344768

• Advertisement

And in today's obligatory Bryce Harper, seems he's back talking to the Giants on a 10 year deal.

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/giants/sources-bryce-harper-giants-have-discussed-10-year-contract

Scott Boras is a genius, getting more teams involved just as the Phillies almost had a deal.

And in today's obligatory Bryce Harper, seems he's back talking to the Giants on a 10 year deal.

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/giants/sources-bryce-harper-giants-have-discussed-10-year-contract

Scott Boras is a genius, getting more teams involved just as the Phillies almost had a deal.

Indeed, would make zero sense for Giants to sign him for 10 years.

Indeed, would make zero sense for Giants to sign him for 10 years.

Would it be so bad if Harper took a five year deal for lets say 150/160 million. He'd be a Free Agent again at 31 and still looking at another big payday.

Harper to the Phillies sounds like it is done.
    Boras used the Dodgers and Giants, no doubt

13years for 330m

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Harper to the Phillies sounds like it is done.
    Boras used the Dodgers and Giants, no doubt

13years for 330m

Wow, no opt-outs, full no-trade protection and heavily front loaded deal. Still doesn't beat Greinke for highest AAV but does beat Stanton for highest total (by $5 million).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

It's finally over! I'm very surprised there is no opt outs considering the amount of money that might be out there down the road. Phillies will be a real force this season...

Coeus wrote: »
    It's finally over! I'm very surprised there is no opt outs considering the amount of money that might be out there down the road. Phillies will be a real force this season...

Indeed. Thank god it’s over.

No opt outs, no trade clause and 13 years is a bit mad dobtvyiu think?

Boras working his magic by involved by the other teams. Genius.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

No opt outs, no trade clause and 13 years is a bit mad dobtvyiu think?

Boras working his magic by involved by the other teams. Genius.
    Maybe but its less AAV than Manny got which is also surprising. It looks like the deal was design to beat Stanton's deal and maybe allow the Phillies to add more talent this season and the years ahead.

Advertisement