Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luas Surfing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Greyfox wrote: »
    People who share this opinion are horrble people who ruin society. If I decide to stick a screwdriver in my eye should we blame the people who make the screwdriver. Disgusting payout!

Part o life like them or not , health and safety is here to stay and will get a lot more strict.
    For me health and safety was introduced to save lives,but sadly now most implementation is to reduce ingury clams.
    And if they don't have all possible risk assessments ect.
    Pay outs will be big

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭na1

ZX7R wrote: »
    Most posters here don't realise that she admitted liability for her actions.
    The awarded payment is in relation to health and safety failure's and no risk assessment been carried out before this indecent.
    All Luis trams now haw cameras over door due to this.

If you put your head on the ground behind the back wheel of the reversing truck - this is not a health and safety failure its rather a mental health and instinct of self-preservation failure.

But the payment was given in relation to health and safety reasons
    How the payment to this private person can improve the health and safety?

Greyfox wrote: »
    People who share this opinion are horrble people who ruin society. If I decide to stick a screwdriver in my eye should we blame the people who make the screwdriver. Disgusting payout!

Each screwdriver should be equipped with an anti eye sticking guard. Or you can sue them!

Part o life like them or not , health and safety is here to stay and will get a lot more strict.
    For me health and safety was introduced to save lives,but sadly now most implementation is to reduce ingury clams.
    And if they don't have all possible risk assessments ect.
    Pay outs will be big

Current implementation is: find the richest company and try to sue them for anything.
    When the travellers started a sulky racing on the national road they put the lives of tens of drives at serious risk. Wonder how much of compensation did the drivers get from any of the racers?
    If any state company like Irish Rail would introduce similar level of a danger to the many drivers they will be paying many millions in claims.

Its not the "save the lives" it is "sue the richest"

• Advertisement

na1 wrote: »
    How the payment to this private person can improve the health and safety?

Probably make companies implement there proseigures
    Better.
    I don't know ?

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭claiomh solais

C'mon lads lets just find the closest Bus Éireann bus and jump in front of it! Only way we'll get a house in this market

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭McCrack

I always get a giggle at these threads at all the bitter cnuts who I know would be straight down themselves to a solicitor if they suffered an injury

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,712 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

The company was aware children were hanging onto the outside of trams while in motion for 5 years prior to this incident and did nothing to prevent it.

It took a child to get brain damage for them to address the issue. When they did address it, all it took was a bit of metal over the gap in the doors.

It was a stupid thing for the child to do but children do not appreciate risks and do stupid things all the time. It doesn't usually take 5 years and a brain injury to a child for responsible adults to implement a very simple safety precaution when they become aware of a risk of serious injury or death.

I think that's maybe why they thought they'd end up on the hook.

Better.
    I don't know ?
    So giving $550k to some lowlife scumbag makes the safety better than spending the same amount of money (by court order) on installing the new safety equipment?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

So giving $550k to some lowlife scumbag makes the safety better than spending the same amount of money (by court order) on installing the new safety equipment?

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

The company was aware children were hanging onto the outside of trams while in motion for 5 years prior to this incident and did nothing to prevent it.
    Imagine you have a car outside the house each night, and every week for 5 years some "children" cut you tyres, and you do nothing to prevent it. At one night they cut off their fingers with a sharp knife while trying to cut your tyre - because there were no lights in the area (you didn't repair the outdoor lights). And they sue you for a health and safety issue.

Money was paid because the company messed up big time,the company did not do a proper risk assessment and did not implement proper health and safety protocol,in full knowledge that there was privous instance of the action taken place.
    If they did there job properly, they would not have to pay out anything.
    The girl was given a settlement due to negligence.
    Not because she was looking for compo

• Registered Users Posts: 18,132 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

It took a child to get brain damage for them to address the issue. When they did address it, all it took was a bit of metal over the gap in the doors.

It was a stupid thing for the child to do but children do not appreciate risks and do stupid things all the time. It doesn't usually take 5 years and a brain injury to a child for responsible adults to implement a very simple safety precaution when they become aware of a risk of serious injury or death.

Wasn't the brain injury before the incident?

After all, nobody with a functioning brain thinks its a good idea to hang from a moving train.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,293 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Ah get away out of it, at 13 she should have known it was a stupid thing to do and what happened is her own fault.

Her sister was giving it large on the comments section on FB earlier, she was abusing everyone there and couldn't string a sentence together to save her life.

Skangers is all they are.

The girl was given a settlement due to negligence.
    Not because she was looking for compo

You're changing your mind:

So the money were given due to negligence or to implement new H&S measures?

Imagine you have a car outside the house each night, and every week for 5 years some "children" cut you tyres, and you do nothing to prevent it. At one night they cut off their fingers with a sharp knife while trying to cut your tyre - because there were no lights in the area (you didn't repair the outdoor lights). And they sue you for a health and safety issue.

Car is on private property , your argument doesn't relate in any way to business health and safety of the original post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Its not as simple as adding a bit metal. There have been similar issues in the UK.

The Luas can not go adding bits to the trams here and there. While they may own them, Alstolm are responsible for modifications etc as the trams are still under warranty.

The bit metal would need to be designed, tested and get certification before it could be fitted. It may have required a new door design. That is Alstolms responsibility not the NTA/Luas.

But kids and adults need to start taking responsibility for their actions. Its always somebody elses fault when something happens.

You're changing your mind:

So the money were given due to negligence or to implement new H&S measures?

If you read my original post properly,
    I said she got the payment due to health and safety reasons.

Health and safety procedures where not carried out thats negligence.

So payment that was made did in a way interduce new h/a measures, the one's that should have been in place , where interduced

Car is on private property , your argument doesn't relate in any way to business health and safety of the original post

You said the target is to "save the lives".

So people can be killed by neglect on a private property for no cost, if the property owner is a bankrupt?

• Advertisement

You said the target is to "save the lives".

So people can be killed by neglect on a private property for no cost, if the property owner is a bankrupt?

No I said in my view health and safety is to save lives.

A person could die on private property due to negligence and owner be held accountable, but that's not a health and safety matter, that would be a civil matter

If you read my original post properly,
    I said she got the payment due to health and safety reasons.

Health and safety procedures where not carried out thats negligence.

So payment that was made did in a way interduce new h/a measures, the one's that should have been in place , where interduced

Again how exactly payments to that person can force the new measures to be introduced?
    The could pay the same amount to the state or any other person - this will make no difference.
    What exactly this means:"she got the payment due to health and safety reasons."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,542 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

A person could die on private property due to negligence and owner be held accountable, but that's not a health and safety matter, that would be a civil matter

That would be an ecumenical matter

So does the private person violates the health and safety regulations or not?
    Or private person's property is excluded from the health and safety?

So does the private person violates the health and safety regulations or not?
    Or private person's property is excluded from the health and safety?

Private person property is excluded from health and safety
    Normally but if you have a person /company enter your house property to do work then technically you are classified as an employer and then you are.
    But that is a grey area of cross overs and a different kettle of fish

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Topdolla

Did you ever see anyone do it or did you ever do it yourself??

You must of seen me surfing while it was stopping at the museum earlier :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,681 ✭✭✭buried

lol This country is F**ked man. Skangers and lowlives keeping the law racket in plenty of the greasy cash money, while everybody else, the majority of the country, the ones who abide by the f**king rules, they're treated like the suspicious ones out to do no good.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

Right I'm off to the airport to surf on the wings of the aircraft taking off.

A fall off of one of them must be worth at least 10 million :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,228 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Of course it was the red line. Some serious scum on the red line.

Source: I live on the red line

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Cienciano wrote: »
    Of course it was the red line. Some serious scum on the red line.

Source: I live on the red line

Pondlife

Advertisement