Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This forum and lack of fresh radio discussion

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭tinytobe

I think this has more to do with rural country life, stronger bonds between individuals, etc.

Also the UK always had a bad choice of community radio. Licenses in this field were very limited, if at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Chun the Unavoidable

the UK RAJAR results are showing that digital radio is doing very well over there, BBC Sounds has 5 million listeners. Its a pity RTE didn't bite the bullet on that when they had the ability to do it.

Even over in the UK I hardly noticed anybody listening or watching any kind of linear media anymore.

A lot of sports is on pay per view these days anyway.

I think even radio is also going down there, most younger listen to music via app on their smartphones.

DAB offers an ever greater choice in the UK, even the BBC want to add new music channels. DAB is making radio a bit more interesting in a time of apps on smartphones.

Ireland, the RTE and all the independent local radios sadly went a different direction, blaming DAB for their misery, whilst causing it, as FM listenership is dwindling more and more as well.

Without DAB Irish radio will die a slow death and stubbornness as well as resistance to change is fueling this.

Indeed, DAB additions to all of the main BBC Radio Stations have been announced. DAB would have been a handy solution to RTE's surplus of presenters and the odd way the Radio Schedule has been allowed to develop - Game On should be on RTE Radio 1 for example, the 9,12, and 3pm shows should be on a version of BBC R2 instead of RTE Radio 1 and then there the very odd "standards" on Mooney going wild for some reason on Monday evenings and the GAA Championship preview at 10pm of a Friday both of which would get better numbers if on at realistic times but they are there because, well, they've been there for years.

The problem is as long as DAB is badmouthed, and dismissed with "the ship has sailed" and "now it's too late", radio will never have any form of innovation and freshness in Ireland. FM is simply too limiting, to costly for expansion, to ever offer something fresh.

DAB is low cost in operation, considering the transmission power and how many channels one can offer. Way more than FM ever could.

I think BBC will offer a fresher version of Radio 2 with different music, and there are more radio channels coming as well giving more choice.

• Advertisement

"FM is simply too limiting, to costly for expansion, to ever offer something fresh" - Yes and I think that this is deliberate. the FM scene in ireland is on the face of it competitive but in reality it isnt and the existing licensees will lobby like hell to ensure that the BAI doesnt allow any new licenses of any meaningful efforts get allowed, and killing off a cheaper and easier way of doing just that through DAB is a simple way. Its not like we cant get DAB radios fairly easily either - every radio that Lidl/Aldi sell has DAB functionality. The token efforts that some of the existing licensees (I think the Bauer stations) make with alternative digital content shows that they know there is a audience out there.

Advertisement