Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Margaret Cash steals €300 worth of clothes from Penneys and aftermath/etc!

Options

Comments

I told you she claimed the government was robbing her blind despite all her income is derived from the state. Another poster linked the radio interview to where she made this claim which I see you ignored so you can claim ignorance. So maybe scoot back a few posts and listen to the interview. You did ask for a hard question, so again can you explain Mags logic as to how the state is robbing her blind considering all her income is given to her by the state.
    I'm asking you a simple question - what's the quote you're asking me to respond to?

I've listened to the interview, and didn't hear the quote you raised. Can you quote her words back to me, which you'd like me to respond to?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

I'm asking you a simple question - what's the quote you're asking me to respond to?

I've listened to the interview, and didn't hear the quote you raised. Can you quote her words back to me, which you'd like me to respond to?

What was the quote?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

The internet is wonderful, isn't it?

All sorts of head-bangers can make all sorts of statements, and never have to back them up.

I'll just leave one of your quotes of stats (that you repeatedly used, even after it was debunked) here.
    If I were a traveller, and half the adults in my community were dying before the age of 40, and I had been bullied out of school at an early age, and one in every ten babies born in my community was dying before the age of two, I honestly don't think I'd give a flying **** about the settled community.

"half the adults in my community were dying before the age of 40"
    "one in every ten babies born in my community was dying before the age of two"

Bollocks!

Gen.Zhukov wrote: »
    I'll just leave one of your quotes of stats (that you repeatedly used, even after it was debunked) here.

"half the adults in my community were dying before the age of 40"
    "one in every ten babies born in my community was dying before the age of two"

Bollocks!
    Those stats are indeed hard to believe, but i am quoting directly from the available research.

Traveller health and life expectancy is the greatest human rights crisis in modern Ireland - we don't recognise it now, but future generations will judge us harshly for our apathy.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,235 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Those stats are indeed hard to believe, but i am quoting directly from the available research.

Traveller health and life expectancy is the greatest human rights crisis in modern Ireland - we don't recognise it now, but future generations will judge us harshly for our apathy.

How do you mean we don't recognise it now?
    I'm always hearing Pavee Point and John Connors say that the government and people in Ireland aren't doing enough for them..
    Take the situation in Thurles. The council built nice bungalows for members of the travelling community.(Modern, insulated houses)(They'd benefit a lot of elderly people who are living in older colder houses it would improve your life expectancy.) and the travellers refused to move into them because they were no stables on site.
    They almost seems to be this belief within the community that you have a right to own a horse because it's benefits your mental health.
    Lot's of people like keeping animals but they can only do it when the situation allows them to care for the animal correctly and they can afford it. They are even talks about some areas banning trotting. This is popular with in the travelling community. Will future generations look down on us if we banned it?
    There's also the situation of a high school drop out rate. The government has provided various things in the last few decades to encourage people to stay in school longer. This includes L.C.A, Youth Reach and various PLC courses not to mention the availability of grants. These are positive great things.
    However they still seems to be an issue with school drop out rates in the travelling community.
    So, what should be done? Take the children/teenagers into care for poor attendance or fine the parents/cut social welfare. Would these measures go down well now or is there a nicer approach they could take.I know we can provide classes/courses that may interest people but it is important you can get employment from them. (This goes for all society who may have difficulty staying in education)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Is traveller health and life expectancy not a result of their actions rather than them being denied their human rights?

While I have no proof of this, it's my belief that education plays a big part in the reduction of traveller life expectancy. But unfortunately most travellers appear to shun education. Travellers are allowed to go to school and learn. They are actually legally obliged to go but often choose to leave education at an early age. How is that a human rights issue? They have equality of opportunity when it comes to education.

Travellers are allowed to eat healthy foods. They choose not to. A long term diet of fast food and red bull can't be good for you in the long run. How is that a human rights issue?

Most travellers have medical cards and aren't denied access to medical treatment. How is that a human rights issue?

Travellers aren't legally required to get married at a young age but they choose to run to Northern Ireland and get married at 16 years of age. Again, they are not forced by the system to do that. How is that a human rights issue?

Seriously, 99% of the problems of travellers are related to their culture and not to human rights issues.

You said we will be judged harshly for our apathy. What are we supposed to do? It's a no-win situation for us. The only way to increase their life expectancy is to destroy their culture and make them live more like us. And they don't want that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

We had them camp at the front gate to our farm once upon a time. Lovely people, wonderful horsemanship, very enviable. Even managed to sell them a pony. No regrets.

That must be the same farm they send all the old, sick dogs to. I bet the f*ckin pony regretted it shortly after. How could anyone in their right mind sell an animal to a traveller.
    I don't really get it somebody lands into the thread every few weeks and states their disgust in people talking about somebody in the media/homelessness/our welfare system/criminality/how these things can be changed/etc.
    They then seem to say they don't care and don't know why people are posting in the thread.
    I don't like certain things/have no interest in discussing them. I don't land into the threads tough call the posters names and call for the threads to be closed.

Its unreal. All its doing is detracting from the discussion and giving the likes of Tyrant and the everlasting BB Fan high blood pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Travellers have the same resources the rest of us have when it comes to health, the government can only do so much. Again where does personal responsibility come into this?

One thing that is an issue is the exceptionally high suicide rate in the traveller community but again that has more to do with their own attitudes and the stereotypes they embrace rather than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

How do all these employers even know these people applying for jobs are travellers?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

I genuinely dont know where they get the money. Travellers bought a house close to me for 330k.
    At the start i thought the council provided bought it privately for them. However it was renovated straight away the council normally leave them idle until they have the money
    2 161 vehicles in the driveway aswel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I genuinely dont know where they get the money. Travellers bought a house close to me for 330k.
    At the start i thought the council provided bought it privately for them. However it was renovated straight away the council normally leave them idle until they have the money
    2 161 vehicles in the driveway aswel

Scams, theft, drugs, re selling stuff stolen...... Etc etc.

Dodgy driveway and cleaning services also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

na1 wrote: »
    Poor little angels!

10 convictions a year, (if he started getting convicted at the age of 16)

If that’s his conviction rate, imagine what he’s getting away with!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Yes, those stats are indeed hard to believe mainly because they are not accurate. This was pointed out to you before as seen below, but you continue to use/believe them and throw them out as facts.

Originally Posted by A Tyrant Named Miltiades!
    It comes from a major survey, published about 10 years ago, called Travellers' Last Rights: Responding to Death in a Cultural Context
    Vox Nihill:
    Thanks. I just looked it up.
    Vox Nihill:
    The findings are contained in a new book, 'Travellers' Last Rights: Responding to Death in a Cultural Context', compiled by the Parish of the Travelling People from data related to 255 people and collated between 1995 and 2004 in the Dublin area.
    I'd note that the Parish of the Travelling People is a religious group, and so I'd wonder about their qualifications to compile mortality statistics? Also, the conclusions are based on data on just 255 people? And the data were collated between 1995 and 2004, so some of the data is over 20 years old?

The All-Ireland Traveller Health Study, released in 2010, does show that travellers have lower life expectancy and higher infant mortality than the settled population. Life expectancy for travellers is estimated to be 61.7 for men and 70.1 for women, while infant mortality in the traveller population is estimated at 14.1 per 1,000 live births. But I find it hard to reconcile these stats with the claim that half of all travellers die before age 40 or that 10 percent of traveller children die before age 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Ooooh. I'll have sleepless nights worrying about what future generations think of us

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

eviltwin wrote: »
    Travellers have the same resources the rest of us have when it comes to health.

I'd argue that they have more than some.

We had them camp at the front gate to our farm once upon a time. Lovely people, wonderful horsemanship, very enviable. Even managed to sell them a pony. No regrets.
    I'm sure all the local I.F.A. members will agree with you. Just wait till you are visited one night by some of their extended family. Gob****es like you deserve what you get

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭ShaneC93

Off on a quick mid-term city break!

27a18d4c1b6226a271597e953d5a96ac.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

That can't be cheap for her and the seven angles

Yet as soon as people get your 'Evidence', read it, question it and point out it doesn't back up your claims; you disappear?
    I'm on my phone. It's a nightmare trying to multi quote using the mobile app. I have read all the replies, will reply when I'm back at my desk. Chill, petal.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

You deserve a break

Wonder what the answer is when you ask the people typing that why she deserves a break.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,175 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

inforfun wrote: »
    Wonder what the answer is when you ask the people typing that why she deserves a break.

and a break from what exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,589 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Shoplifting.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

john4321 wrote: »
    Shoplifting.

Ah hear, that's an awful thing to say. There are plenty of shops in England.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Also a good question.

ShaneC93 wrote: »
    Off on a quick mid-term city break!

27a18d4c1b6226a271597e953d5a96ac.png
    Anywhere in particular we should avoid

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    That can't be cheap for her and the seven angles

She never said that she’s poor. Just homeless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

they don't even give the young kids a chance!

most traveller families do not take up the free preschool place that are FREE for their children. ITS FREE!!! you just have to bring them there 5 days a week. maybe thats the issue - no free transport.
    where the kids might learn a few basic skills to help them - washing hands, social skills, proper language and vocabulary, counting, letters, how to play etc
    any difficulties might be picked up on - speech and language, sight etc that could be treated while the child is young

they land into primary school at 5.
    usually with no uniform, books or anything.
    Then go running to the local social welfare officer to look for more money for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    they don't even give the young kids a chance!

most traveller families do not take up the free preschool place that are FREE for their children. ITS FREE!!! you just have to bring them there 5 days a week. maybe thats the issue - no free transport.
    where the kids might learn a few basic skills to help them - washing hands, social skills, proper language and vocabulary, counting, letters, how to play etc
    any difficulties might be picked up on - speech and language, sight etc that could be treated while the child is young

they land into primary school at 5.
    usually with no uniform, books or anything.
    Then go running to the local social welfare officer to look for more money for that.

Eh..... They do get free travel buses and mini buses are put on for them to pick them up.

It's actually shocking how much is provided it would make those working and actually doing everything to get their kids to school at cost cry.....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

She never said that she’s poor. Just homeless.

True...yet she still feels the need to steal...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    True...yet she still feels the need to steal...

Steal the hearts of the Irish people? You know, the ones telling her to enjoy her deserved break.

Going to Galway for a night next month and I thought I was living it up. This whole work situation really gets in the way.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement