Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Regular Season & Playoffs 2018-19 Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Hitch2222

You’re right that it’s absolutely ridiculous. It’s absolutely ridiculous you think what LA/Klutch/LeBron/Paul did is even in the same league as those comments.

I think what the group you mentioned did was worse, whatever smokescreen exists between the three, Klutch should be reprimanded for unsettling a team and attempting to manipulate a negotiation if in fact that is against league rules.

However, if you view Magic's comments from a while back when he was fined as something which warrants a fine and upon seeing these comments from the Bucks as not warranting a fine, then there is a clear dispensation here.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Hitch2222 wrote: »
    I think what the group you mentioned did was worse, whatever smokescreen exists between the three, Klutch should be reprimanded for unsettling a team and attempting to manipulate a negotiation if in fact that is against league rules.

However, if you view Magic's comments from a while back when he was fined as something which warrants a fine and upon seeing these comments from the Bucks as not warranting a fine, then there is a clear dispensation here.

Magic was at it again yesterday with his crazy comments.....more nonsense, not tampering-related but how the Pelicans "didn't act in good faith". I'm walking the dogs but I'll try and post the exact thing later.

Ah, why should they? The absolute arrogance to think they have to play fair after what you (LA/Paul/Klutch/LeBron) did. Someone said it's like breaking into someone's house and then expecting the owner to just let you take whatever you want and take back your crap instead.

ZERO SYMPATHY for the Lakers.

I see a distinct difference in that Magic was openly joking/boasting about getting a particular player (George in that case) and a hypothetical comment from the Milwaukee person.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,520 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Magic was at it again yesterday with his crazy comments.....more nonsense, not tampering-related but how the Pelicans "didn't act in good faith". I'm walking the dogs but I'll try and post the exact thing later.

Ah, why should they? The absolute arrogance to think they have to play fair after what you (LA/Paul/Klutch/LeBron) did. Someone said it's like breaking into someone's house and then expecting the owner to just let you take whatever you want and take back your crap instead.

ZERO SYMPATHY for the Lakers.

I see a distinct difference in that Magic was openly joking/boasting about getting a particular player (George in that case) and a hypothetical comment from the Milwaukee person.

Sorry I wasn't referring to those comments, I should have been more specific. For sure, they're a different animal which resulted in a 500k fine.
    I was referring to the Giannis comments which the Bucks used as clickbait on Twitter.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/22347434/los-angeles-lakers-fined-50000-magic-johnson-violates-league-anti-tampering-rule

They are equally as benign as Bucks GM. In isolation I think both deserve similar punishment tbh but I could get onboard with Silver being especially harsh given the preceding larger fine.

That seems a completely fair result imo

• Advertisement

Just finished the Windhorst pod. He, Jackie MacMullan and Tim MacMahon trash Magic for the AD Trade, the presser where he disses New Orleans (forgetting he may/will likely have to engage with them again this summer), telling the players to buck up, and the Simmons comments. I think Magic operates in some parallel universe where he thinks he can just smile his way out of anything.

I've said it before that he's not as smart or as shrewd as he's given credit for, or likely thinks he is himself.

Harden gets his 30th straight 30+ game.

Russ breaks NBA record for most consecutive triple doubles....in the same game PG has a 47point triple double.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭jonok28

Just finished the Windhorst pod. He, Jackie MacMullan and Tim MacMahon trash Magic for the AD Trade, the presser where he disses New Orleans (forgetting he may/will likely have to engage with them again this summer), telling the players to buck up, and the Simmons comments. I think Magic operates in some parallel universe where he thinks he can just smile his way out of anything.

I've said it before that he's not as smart or as shrewd as he's given credit for, or likely thinks he is himself.

Magic is a typical Superstar, thinking that rules don't apply to him, he is also a natural showman who wants to give the people what they want so has to be open with the public. The Lakers badly need a Front Office consultant to bridge the lack of knowledge and front office savvy that Magic and Pelinka lack. Someone who has been there and done that. I would bring in David Griffin or even Sam Hinkie.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,237 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Harden beyond real at this point.

• Advertisement

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Harden beyond real at this point.

Surefire MVP if they finish 6th though? I'm not convinced he is 1/3 shot with 30% of season left.

jonok28 wrote: »
    Magic is a typical Superstar, thinking that rules don't apply to him, he is also a natural showman who wants to give the people what they want so has to be open with the public. The Lakers badly need a Front Office consultant to bridge the lack of knowledge and front office savvy that Magic and Pelinka lack. Someone who has been there and done that. I would bring in David Griffin or even Sam Hinkie.

You’re being very kind there.

If his name wasn’t Magic Johnson he’d have been fired by now.

You’re being very kind there.

If his name wasn’t Magic Johnson he’d have been fired by now.

Not really, he did basically deliver Lebron James, something the previous front office couldn't do since the times of Shaq, yes they were able to pull trades off but this is the first time we have been able to land a sizeable free agent in a long long time. The fact is that he is Magic Johnson, he does have name recognition and he did deliver Lebron, so he has a few more years to get the other stars, but he does need to cop on , bring someone in with experience to help and by doing that he will develop as a Executive.

Surefire MVP if they finish 6th though? I'm not convinced he is 1/3 shot with 30% of season left.

I thought I was going a tad mad but if Giannis is PG13's primary competitor to rival Harden, he has a solid case since December, if he keeps this up:

PG13 Value G GS MP FG FGA 3P 3PA FT FTA ORB TRB AST STL BLK TOV PF PTS FG% 3P% FT% TS% USG% ORtg DRtg +/- MP PTS TRB AST
    December 14 14 503 146 296 51 118 88 104 25 125 54 32 4 35 37 431 0.493 0.432 0.846 0.631 30.1 124 101 12.7 36 30.8 8.9 3.9
    January 14 14 529 133 295 57 129 91 112 21 107 53 36 2 29 32 414 0.451 0.442 0.813 0.601 29.2 121 111 11 37.8 29.6 7.6 3.8
    February 6 6 227 68 140 41 87 61 70 4 47 29 13 1 17 20 238 0.486 0.471 0.871 0.697 33.9 134 107 15.8 37.8 39.7 7.8 4

Giannis December 13 13 444 120 199 6 27 87 121 32 163 80 15 25 57 49 333 0.603 0.222 0.719 0.66 29.8 119 99 3.6 34.2 25.6 12.5 6.2
    January 14 14 438 129 239 11 36 91 125 25 169 78 25 17 39 52 360 0.54 0.306 0.728 0.612 32.8 120 97 17.3 31.3 25.7 12.1 5.6
    February 5 5 161 61 92 6 14 40 52 9 64 28 4 7 21 16 168 0.663 0.429 0.769 0.731 35.3 130 99 22.3 32.3 33.6 12.8 5

Not really, he did basically deliver Lebron James, something the previous front office couldn't do since the times of Shaq, yes they were able to pull trades off but this is the first time we have been able to land a sizeable free agent in a long long time. The fact is that he is Magic Johnson, he does have name recognition and he did deliver Lebron, so he has a few more years to get the other stars, but he does need to cop on , bring someone in with experience to help and by doing that he will develop as a Executive.

He had very little to do with LBJ going to the Lakers - that was a LeBron move. LeBron would have gone to the Lakers if I was the GM. The whole Lakers thing is about being in LA and maximising "opportunities" around that in Business, Hollywood etc. LeBron said as recently as this month everything from this point on is gravy, that he's achieved everything on a basketball court. But just ignore all of that.

Leonard? Failed to land him.
    George? Failed to land him.
    AD? Failed to land him.

He had very little to do with LBJ going to the Lakers - that was a LeBron move. LeBron would have gone to the Lakers if I was the GM. The whole Lakers thing is about being in LA and maximising "opportunities" around that in Business, Hollywood etc. LeBron said as recently as this month everything from this point on is gravy, that he's achieved everything on a basketball court. But just ignore all of that.

Leonard? Failed to land him.
    George? Failed to land him.
    AD? Failed to land him.

Leonard wasn't a free agent and was traded and had already made it known he wants his own team rather than being second to Lebron. Also he is a Free Agent this season so don't count your chickens yet. The Lakers tried to land Leonard but the Spurs wouldn't even entertain them because of past history.

OKC took a shot with George and traded for him and he re signed. George was pissed off that the Lakers didn't trade for him when he was available.

Davis still ongoing. I wouldn't rule out him being traded or signing with the Lakers especially if Kyrie goes to the Knicks, if that happens the Celtics have zero chance of landing Davis.

Leonard wasn't a free agent and was traded and had already made it known he wants his own team rather than being second to Lebron. Also he is a Free Agent this season so don't count your chickens yet. The Lakers tried to land Leonard but the Spurs wouldn't even entertain them because of past history.

OKC took a shot with George and traded for him and he re signed. George was pissed off that the Lakers didn't trade for him when he was available.

Davis still ongoing. I wouldn't rule out him being traded or signing with the Lakers especially if Kyrie goes to the Knicks, if that happens the Celtics have zero chance of landing Davis.

An excuse for everything.......he's failed on every single one so far and you know it. And he's a ticking timebomb re. tampering and allegations of tampering with his big mouth. He can't help himself. This despite the fact that Jeannie Buss sent a Memo to all Lakers staff saying they had to be absolutely vigilant and squeaky clean about saying or doing anything that could be construed as tampering. And yet he continues to put his big foot into it and doesn't think the rules apply to him. It's this arrogance that has most teams in the League laughing when they mess up - and they will mess up again.

Imagine if they had Jerry West now instead of Magic pulling the strings? Look at what he's doing with the Clippers, and did with the Warriors. As a Boston fan I hope LA keep Magic and Rob forever.

An excuse for everything.......he's failed on every single one so far and you know it. And he's a ticking timebomb re. tampering and allegations of tampering with his big mouth. He can't help himself. This despite the fact that Jeannie Buss sent a Memo to all Lakers staff saying they had to be absolutely vigilant and squeaky clean about saying or doing anything that could be construed as tampering. And yet he continues to put his big foot into it and doesn't think the rules apply to him. It's this arrogance that has most teams in the League laughing when they mess up - and they will mess up again.

Imagine if they had Jerry West now instead of Magic pulling the strings? Look at what he's doing with the Clippers, and did with the Warriors. As a Boston fan I hope LA keep Magic and Rob forever.

But you can't say he has failed at every attempt when he landed Lebron James!. That is the trump card, that is his get out of jail free card and that is going to buy him a few more years with the Lakers.

I would have loved Jerry West with the Lakers and that was a big mistake on Magic's part (One of many) but at this moment in time I have to give him benefit of the doubt until atleast after Free Agency. If he strikes out in Free Agency and doesn't land AD via trade then we can start pointing fingers, but since he got Lebron I think he has bought himself 12 months of patience from Laker fans.

Also Magic said if he can't land a second Superstar for the Lakers then he is not fit for the job and will step down.

But you can't say he has failed at every attempt when he landed Lebron James!. That is the trump card, that is his get out of jail free card and that is going to buy him a few more years with the Lakers.

I would have loved Jerry West with the Lakers and that was a big mistake on Magic's part (One of many) but at this moment in time I have to give him benefit of the doubt until atleast after Free Agency. If he strikes out in Free Agency and doesn't land AD via trade then we can start pointing fingers, but since he got Lebron I think he has bought himself 12 months of patience from Laker fans.

Also Magic said if he can't land a second Superstar for the Lakers then he is not fit for the job and will step down.

He landed LeBron? Ok sure. If you really believe that I have some magic beans I’ve been trying to offload for a while, I’ll give you a good price on them.

LeBron was going to LA if I was the GM. Why can’t you see that? Do you honestly believe Magic was the difference between LeBron signing for LA and anyone else?

He landed LeBron? Ok sure. If you really believe that I have some magic beans I’ve been trying to offload for a while, I’ll give you a good price on them.

LeBron was going to LA if I was the GM. Why can’t you see that? Do you honestly believe Magic was the difference between LeBron signing for LA and anyone else?
    You're not getting this, It doesn't matter whether you, me, Dustin the Turkey or Magic Johnson landed Lebron James, the fact that Magic was in charge when it happened gives him a pass for the vast majority of fans and it doesn't matter what anyone says, he delivered on a promise. In the eyes of the only person who truly matters in all this Jeanie Buss, Magic Johnson has come good on his promise. Don't get me wrong this does not give Magic a unlimited pass and he has been chastised by alot of Lakers fans for a number of moves beginning with Trading Lou Williams to Houston, moving D'Angelo Russell to the Nets and most recently trading Zubac and Svi. So no one is giving Magic a pass and alot of us agree that he is a unproven Exec but he has done what

We can speculate all day and say he would have signed with the Lakers regardless but no one, not even you can say for a certainty that he would of because only Lebron and his people know. All I know is before Magic arrived, I never heard whispers of Lebron to the Lakers, Magic arrives and I hear whispers of Lebron to the Lakers. He will not get a pass if the Lakers miss out on Davis or a Free Agent, he will be under pressure and will be crushed by alot of Lakers fans.

• Advertisement

I don't think he was the deciding factor at all. LBJ made up his mind a long time ago, this decision was one that was heavily influenced by legacy, future earnings, family & lifestyle.

However, I do think that if the GM was completely inept, say Phil Jackson at the Knicks, he may not have went there but the person would have had to be particularly useless for him not to go.

That said, given LBJ arrived on his watch, he will garner some credit by default and I think that's fair enough.

He's one of, if not the most beloved Laker in history, he's a successful businessman and a charismatic character so I think he has substantial time left in the hotseat if he wants it.

He's done little wrong outside of not endearing himself to opposing fans/GM's and who really cares about that because no GM is prepared to cut off their nose to spite their face in order to get one over on Magic.

You're not getting this, It doesn't matter whether you, me, Dustin the Turkey or Magic Johnson landed Lebron James, the fact that Magic was in charge when it happened gives him a pass for the vast majority of fans and it doesn't matter what anyone says, he delivered on a promise. In the eyes of the only person who truly matters in all this Jeanie Buss, Magic Johnson has come good on his promise. Don't get me wrong this does not give Magic a unlimited pass and he has been chastised by alot of Lakers fans for a number of moves beginning with Trading Lou Williams to Houston, moving D'Angelo Russell to the Nets and most recently trading Zubac and Svi. So no one is giving Magic a pass and alot of us agree that he is a unproven Exec but he has done what

We can speculate all day and say he would have signed with the Lakers regardless but no one, not even you can say for a certainty that he would of because only Lebron and his people know. All I know is before Magic arrived, I never heard whispers of Lebron to the Lakers, Magic arrives and I hear whispers of Lebron to the Lakers. He will not get a pass if the Lakers miss out on Davis or a Free Agent, he will be under pressure and will be crushed by alot of Lakers fans.

On today's Open Floor they discuss how badly Magic has handled things in his tenure as GM, how badly he's handled the Simmons quotes, how the young players are not happy with how they've been treated and the recent "toughen up" comments, how FAs are looking at the Lakers and how Magic is conducting himself and asking themselves do they want this for themselves, the disastrous AD no trade, and how Magic is running out of time and "the bill will need to be cashed soon" (quote) or he's gone...and other Magic things.

So now they're covering it and Windhorst & Co. covered it yesterday - all haters no doubt?

On today's Open Floor they discuss how badly Magic has handled things in his tenure as GM, how badly he's handled the Simmons quotes, how the young players are not happy with how they've been treated and the recent "toughen up" comments, how FAs are looking at the Lakers and how Magic is conducting himself and asking themselves do they want this for themselves, the disastrous AD no trade, and how Magic is running out of time and "the bill will need to be cashed soon" (quote) or he's gone...and other Magic things.

So now they're covering it and Windhorst & Co. covered it yesterday - all haters no doubt?

SMH, very clearly Magic messed up during the Davis negotiations, he undermined the young players and made them feel like they were all expendable and he basically told them to grow up and he has time and time again tampered but still JEANIE BUSS IS THE ONLY PERSON WHO HE NEEDS TO IMPRESS and she is happy with him so Magic is going nowhere.

I never said Magic hasn't messed up numerous times as a Exec, he has been very very hit in miss in many regards and he really made himself look stupid with this Davis debacle but at the end of the day his job is safe no matter what Windhorst says. He will be given time to execute his vision and if he fails I think he will step away and go back to being part owner of the Dodgers, an exceedingly successful business man and I'm fairly sure his $500m will help him sleep at night.

SMH, very clearly Magic messed up during the Davis negotiations, he undermined the young players and made them feel like they were all expendable and he basically told them to grow up and he has time and time again tampered but still JEANIE BUSS IS THE ONLY PERSON WHO HE NEEDS TO IMPRESS and she is happy with him so Magic is going nowhere.

I never said Magic hasn't messed up numerous times as a Exec, he has been very very hit in miss in many regards and he really made himself look stupid with this Davis debacle but at the end of the day his job is safe no matter what Windhorst says. He will be given time to execute his vision and if he fails I think he will step away and go back to being part owner of the Dodgers, an exceedingly successful business man and I'm fairly sure his $500m will help him sleep at night.

Great arguments in bold. :rolleyes:

As for Jeannie Buss - how do you know she is happy with him? I don't, but neither do you. She could be (and I suspect is) fuming right now. The Lakers "brand" has been damaged in the last few weeks and even you can see that surely?

Great arguments in bold. :rolleyes:

As for Jeannie Buss - how do you know she is happy with him? I don't, but neither do you. She could be (and I suspect is) fuming right now. The Lakers "brand" has been damaged in the last few weeks and even you can see that surely?

She was on Zach Lowe's podcast not long ago and praised him for bringing back the Lakers to where they should be. They are still the second most valuable franchise in the NBA so not that badly damaged. I will say Magic and Pelinka's reputation has been slightly tarnished from the Davis Trade discussions and it would not surprise me if Jeanie Buss was angry but she hired them rather than the decision being made for her with her brother Jim Buss being installed as such many years ago by her father, she will give them time and will allow them to fulfill their vision. IF Magic and Pelinka do not land a star this Off Season or Next Magic is gone, it's as simple as that, he made that known to Jeanie Buss in his press conference and has reiterated it on numerous occasions, So you won't have to deal with him much longer if he doesn't live up to his word.

She was on Zach Lowe's podcast not long ago and praised him for bringing back the Lakers to where they should be. They are still the second most valuable franchise in the NBA so not that badly damaged. I will say Magic and Pelinka's reputation has been slightly tarnished from the Davis Trade discussions and it would not surprise me if Jeanie Buss was angry but she hired them rather than the decision being made for her with her brother Jim Buss being installed as such many years ago by her father, she will give them time and will allow them to fulfill their vision. IF Magic and Pelinka do not land a star this Off Season or Next Magic is gone, it's as simple as that, he made that known to Jeanie Buss in his press conference and has reiterated it on numerous occasions, So you won't have to deal with him much longer if he doesn't live up to his word.

Yes, she was on the Lowe Post a few weeks ago - before this latest Magic embarrassment. She may not feel the same way now. Yes, I'm speculating; but so are you.

Yes, she was on the Lowe Post a few weeks ago - before this latest Magic embarrassment. She may not feel the same way now. Yes, I'm speculating; but so are you.

She may not but she trusts Magic and will give him the time to get another star.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Even GarPax could have landed LeBron if they were in charge at the Lakers.

I admittedly personally didn’t think he’d go to the West, but it seems almost every relevant, well-placed pundit and analyst did.

I wouldn’t be giving Magic too much, if any, credit for the Lakers signing LeBron.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,612 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Lakers lose to the Hawks tonight with LeBron playing 44 minutes, they're now below .500 going into the All Star Break.

Pelicans got blown out by Orlando and based on the stats I'd almost suggest AD is pulling a Vince Carter. 24 minutes played and he finished with 3 points.

• Advertisement

Lakers lose to the Hawks tonight with LeBron playing 44 minutes, they're now below .500 going into the All Star Break.

Pelicans got blown out by Orlando and based on the stats I'd almost suggest AD is pulling a Vince Carter. 24 minutes played and he finished with 3 points.

I saw one place yesterday before Hawks game that had them <10% chance of making playoffs.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement