Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sexual Assault Victims are now "Survivors"

Options
  • 15-10-2018 9:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭

Like the Jews in the Nazi concentration camps I guess?

This term is loaded but it's used routinely now in US media to describe victims of sex assault since #metoo. This tactic was taken up here with the Catholic Church as well. Victims were "survivors" or something like they were going to be killed.

I know it's a cruel and deeply hurtful, damaging thing but "survivor"???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Oh hey, we absolutely need yet another thread full of the usual victim blaming, shaming and name-calling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Yes, survivor is better than victim. Can you imagine trying to live your life, or survive, when you’ve been completely violated?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Oh hey, we absolutely need yet another thread full of the usual victim blaming, shaming and name-calling.

Survivor blaming, shaming and name calling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Godwin'd your own thread in the OP, nice work.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,172 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

You're right OP

Not all of them are survivors.

Some of them died

Not sure why you have issue with that though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

This term is loaded but it's used routinely now in US media to describe victims of sex assault since #metoo. This tactic was taken up here with the Catholic Church as well. Victims were "survivors" or something like they were going to be killed.

Yes. Sexual assualt damages deeply and many never get over it. Suicide rates ae high and those who live often live depleted and damaged lives,

Please do not downplay this as that is deeply insulting and insenstive. So yes, survivors is the right word.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Sonics2k wrote: »

I think bull**** should be called out to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Christ of all the things to get annoyed about on a Monday morning.

You hear that people who have lived through cancer are calling themselves survivors too? The pricks.

Nice to see the whole thing Godwin'ed in six words though.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,172 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

As with most of the world's problems, we must blame Beyonce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

Sure, sexual, physical or mental abuse are all basically bullying abuse in serious form.
    The victims can feel oppressed, depressed and worthless, anyone who comes through and out of those situations are survivors.
    There can be worse things than dying in peoples lives.
    The world is full of survivors of one thing or another, even their own personal abuse as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

So do I.

You're talking bullshít Kermit!

Graces7 wrote: »
    Yes. Sexual assualt damages deeply and many never get over it. Suicide rates ae high and those who live often live depleted and damaged lives,

Please do not downplay this as that is deeply insulting and insenstive. So yes, survivors is the right word.

Ok.

If I accidentally or purposely touch a woman's knee is she a "survivor" because the latter is sexual assault today and the former can be said to be assault?

How is she a "survivor"?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Ok.

If I accidentally or purposely touch a woman's knee is she a "survivor" because the latter is sexual assault today and the former can be said to be assault.

How is she a "survivor"?

Seriously man, you should just step away from the keyboard for a few minutes and have a word with yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You're obsessed with this topic Kermit.

Did you know that a man is more likely to be a victim of rape than a victim of a false allegation?

Seriously man, you should just step away from the keyboard for a few minutes and have a word with yourself.

Can't answer the question? That's ok. You have verified my point for me.

Clearly the person has not "survived" the experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

I think OP maybe your problem is what is deemed sexual assault.

Whether or not the #metoo movement is good or bad, there is real victims of serious sexual assaults going through their lives every day living with that experience, and yes, they're surviving. There has been others or decided life wasn't worth living.

Don't be such a dick.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

The term was used a long time before metoo, or the Catholic Church abuse in the 90’s, or even before the Concentration camps? :confused:

I don’t particularly care one way or the other for either term myself. I find them equally patronising as each other.

seamus wrote: »

Did you know that a man is more likely to be a victim of rape than a victim of a false allegation?

Irrelevant even if true. Thread is not about that.

The thread is about the use of the term "survivor".

Heavy-handed, and insensitive comparison. You're only attempting to stir the pot.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

That's pure supposition S. The stats on both are opaque to say the least.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Have you been drinking all night or what?

No, Kermit - survivior might be a bit strong for a lady who's knee you accidentally brushed off!

Heavy-handed, and insensitive comparison. You're only attempting to stir the pot.

No. The term is used on purpose to give false equivalence in left wing media.

Call a spade a spade. They know exactly what they are doing when the term "survivor" is used and they don't care about the context or factual nature of the term. It's for the emotional impact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

You're talking about something that has not happened though.
    If a sexual or physical assault hasn't happened, then regardless of the judgement on it, that person is not a survivor of course, but the accused then becomes the victim of a type of abuse themselves. They can then become a survivor of that.
    But anyone who has at anytime ever been abused in any form is a survivor.
    If you want to talk of false allegations and how they can affect the accused then that's different.
    But don't demean the survivors of abuse by trying to bring them down in some way to prove a point that actually has nothing to do with actual survivors.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Edward M wrote: »
    There can be worse things than dying in peoples lives.

Completely agree..

Walk into any spinal unit or stroke ward and you’ll see it..

OP - I understand your point and I fluckin hate the bull**** we all have to listen to today but I think you picked the wrong battle here..

I think you need to explain what you mean by this comment . Before ...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

Source please.

Yaaaawn.. yep so obvious not worth reading.. bye! PS yes a survivor here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

No. The term is used on purpose to give false equivalence in left wing media.

Call a spade a spade. They know exactly what they are doing when the term "survivor" is used and they don't care about the context or factual nature of the term. It's for the emotional impact.

You are the one who brought the survivors of abuse by the catholic church into the debate, nobody else. Many of these people who suffered abuse refer to themselves as 'survivors'.

Let's make it clear to you and your little gang. Nobody cares about you lads getting riled up by some youtuber telling you how terrible women are and how there are no such thing as "survivors" when it comes to abuse. People have every right to mock you and challenge you.

For whatever reason, today you decided you were so angry with survivors of clerical abuse that you'd embarrass yourself by creating a thread about it on boards.

dav3 wrote: »
    You are the one who brought the survivors of abuse by the catholic church into the debate

How many were at risk of imminent death? Facts and statistics please.

I'm not saying they did not experience horrible violation and all that comes after that.

I take issue with the misuse and abuse of the term "survivor" following the #metoo movement.

It is not an accurate term.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,152 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Ok.

If I accidentally or purposely touch a woman's knee is she a "survivor" because the latter is sexual assault today and the former can be said to be assault?

How is she a "survivor"?

Whilst I agree that there can be a lot of lunacy now where some eejits nearly equate someones knee being felt or someones ass being pinched in a nightclub to the much much worse violations and attacks.
    I think it demeans the awful assaults.

But I think there is no more apt word to describe someone like the former inmates of the magdalene laundries, the boys that went through the abuse in the likes of Artane, the women who have managed to escape being sold into sexual slavery throughout the world, the women who have been brutally raped and beaten.

All of these have to live with the torment and not alone the physical scars, but the mental scars for the rest of their lives.

And it is especially sad when it has been a child whose innocence has been stolen from them in the most brutal evil fashion.
    They have to learn to survive and sadly some don't manage it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement