Advertisement
Boards are fundraising to help the people of Ukraine via the Red Cross at this horrific time. Please donate and share if you can, you will find the link here. Many thanks.

Qualified Financial Advisor (QFA)

• 14-10-2018 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,069 ✭✭✭ johndaman66

Hi All,

I attained my Bachelors degree in Accounting and Finance in 2003 and have being working in Fund Administration since. Primarily Fund Accounting for the first 10 years and in a support role to Fund Accounting for the last 4 which is my current role.

Long story short I hate my current job. The job spec has changed drastically since I took it 4 years ago and really and truly it is just not for me anymore. As and aside I wouldn't have seen myself as working in Fund Administration forever. A lot of colleagues I would have started with and even who started after me have left the industry.That is all a bit besides the point anyway.

I have a keen interest in potentially working in pensions and investments. I believe the best stepping stone would be QFA and granted it has being a considerable few years since I have being out of education.

Would anybody be able to provide me with more information on how I would put the wheels in motion. Information online seems to be a little scat but I see that UCD is the awarding body. Can I partake in this course in any colleges closer to home being Limerick? Also the course fees are high @ €6,600. I cant really see myself working in my current job and being able to study at the same time. If I gave up work to study would there be any financial assistance available to me for the course?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 jambodub

Hi johndaman66,

Just completed the last of the QFA exams last month, like yourself coming from a BA in Accounting and Finance a long time ago and working in a different field since. You can sit the 6 QFA Modules with LIA.ie . Membership is €150 for the year and each module costs €325 (€1950 + €150 member). You can do them over the course of 1-2 years. I did 2 exams each semester and completed them in one year and it went well. Study is by distance learning (you basically get a manual for each of the 5 subjects to learn cover to cover) and these 5 exams are multiple choice. The final financial planning exam is a written exam encompassing content for the 5 previous subjects involving case studies etc..

There is online help with subjects and one lecture day per module (optional, which I found useful). Exams are held in Dublin or Cork every 4 months. If you want to do really well you would need to put in 100 hours study per subject, if you just want to pass you would get away with less. Next exams are January 2019. You may still be able to enrol and as it's distance learning you woudn't be at a disadvantage at this stage. Anyway go to the LIA website and it's fairly straightforward.

BTW, start with Regulation module as it applies to all the other modules.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭ poker--addict

100 hours per subject is a useful reference, would others agree? has anyone done this on a full-time basis recently and how did they find doing it that way?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭ completedit

I have managed to pass two of these exams with minimal study; I was really interested in the Investments course but just with time of year and general Covid lethargy, didn't give them that much work. I'll definitely be consulting the books in my own time because it's useful stuff imo.

Advertisement