Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does Ireland appreciate U2?

Options
  • 13-10-2018 7:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭

I know we all hate Bono but guys his band had something special going on at one point.

They were legitimately the biggest band in the world.

Their hits are timeless, somewhat like a latter day Beatles imo.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

I know we all hate Bono but guys his band had something special going on at one point.

They were legitimately the biggest the band in the world.

I find the whole I hate Bono thing rather tiring at this stage.

They kinda lost me a bit from/after Zooropa though. I miss the days when they were more rock than pop.

Also, Rattle and Hum! Why is that album not as popular? Dayum there’s some good stuff in there!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,058 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I appreciate them as a band, and the fact they made some great hits, and helped shine a light on some of Ireland’s darker issues.

I don’t appreciate the fact they recently tried to build an absolute monstrosity of a vanity project to themselves on the quays.

Maybe leave that for 10 years after your all dead.

I also don’t appreciate them moving their business to Holland to avail of better tax arrangements so as to put an extra few quid in their pockets. its not like they’re short of a few euro. Dublin/Ireland has been very good to U2, yet when money was involved (small change in their grand scheme of things), they upped and f**ked off elsewhere like any big corporate entity would do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

FOAD2U2

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Krispie

As above, after Zooropa they changed style too much or me. Used to have albums with few fillers now I scan the album and listen to the 2 or 3 good tracks.

Wait for the posts re tax etc. They are more than a band, they are a business and brand. There is not a successful Irish company who pays good money to accountants that would advise client to pay all duties here. Madness. We would all do same in this position. Look at JP last week, pays feck all tax but all of a sudden gives money to GAA per club and last years charity donations revealed and he's a grand lad, doing good for the country. He's a business getting relief on all donations ffs. My hat goes off to him too.

They have always highlighted good causes, but Bono did go overboard but at same time he got the column inches for whatever the cause. Brings tourists by the busload here, look at windmill lane/Vico Road/Cedarwood etc.

I actually named my kid Joshua after the masterpiece that is.... "The Tree":D

Younger boardies will look and say U-Who??:o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,040 ✭✭✭Odhinn

They don't appeal to me at all. Neither did the beatles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,090 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Back 30 years ago, yea they were very much appreciated, but it has waned over the years.

Think it has something to do with Ireland coming on in the world culturally and economically since then.

We don't have to rely on U2 anymore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

The best thing Bono and The Edge ever did was to write this.

i have a few U2 CDs but haven't felt compelled to listen to them in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

The best thing Bono and The Edge ever did was to write this.

Great song but only 1 persons opinion and that's all it will be taken for.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 36 Shower Doctor

U2 are as annoying as Eoin Macdermott.

Oink wrote: »

Also, Rattle and Hum! Why is that album not as popular? Dayum there’s some good stuff in there!

I always felt that album was a mixed bag- and it probably is because it’s a soundtrack rather than a studio album. A lot of people felt at the time that the just weren’t breaking any new ground. They were simply imitating and indeering themselves with the blues and rock greats that went before them. So some saw it as a cynical ploy of self promotion rather than anything ground breaking
    I like some of the sounds but it’s not a classic album by any means

• Advertisement

Up to Achtung Baby, before Bono disappeared up his own arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,040 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Up to Achtung Baby, before Bono disappeared up his own arse.

I was indifferent to them until joshua tree, thereafter I couldn't stand the sound of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I appreciate how ****e they are - does that count?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,319 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

4 sold out nights in the Point and two in Belfast would indicate they're very much well appreciated nearly 40 years after the release of their first album. And I'd imagine they could easily double that.

I wouldn't compare them to the Beatles, they didn't break any real new ground to the extent the Beatles did, but by any objective measure they're a very good band who have written some wonderful songs (and some duds too). I wouldn't say Bono is the greatest singer in the world but he utilises his (still-above-average) vocal abilities very well. Also I think his heart is in the right place most of the time, though he does often engage his mouth more than his brain and doesn't do himself many favours by coming across as somewhat sanctimonious. Can't say anything too bad about the other lads in the band.

With regards the tax thing, my understanding is that they still do pay a lot of tax in Ireland (as in income tax), it's more the business end of the U2 brand that relocated to the Netherlands. I wouldn't criticise them too much for that, bearing in mind that our own economy currently depends a lot on businesses coming here to avail of our low corporate tax rate.

Does Ireland appreciate U2?

Why should it? They are just another business, and another business which avoids paying taxes to this state for that matter. As such, they are about as worthy of respect as Anthony O'Reilly, Denis O'Brien, Mick Smurfit, John Magnier, Dermot Desmond and all the rest of the tax dodgers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

They're a great band that some people love to hate.
    I've seen them live a few times and they always put on a great show. That'll do me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

My favorite

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

I appreciate Echo and the Bunnymen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭piplip87

Why should it? They are just another business, and another business which avoids paying taxes to this state for that matter. As such, they are about as worthy of respect as Anthony O'Reilly, Denis O'Brien, Mick Smurfit, John Magnier, Dermot Desmond and all the rest of the tax dodgers.

It's funny they don't pay tax on the U2 revenue which a tiny tiny percentage is raised in Ireland. Bono probably pays more income tax here in a year then you will.pay for.your life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

The three behind Bono are under appreciated. Especially the edge. For their music they should be as lauded in Dublin, as the Beatles are in Liverpool. Some day they will be fully recognised as they have 4 times the longevity of the Beatles, even though they couldn't break new ground like the Beatles did 66-70.

Probably the two greatest bands in music history (for their entire body of work) and they come from this same small part of the world.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,058 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

piplip87 wrote: »
    It's funny they don't pay tax on the U2 revenue which a tiny tiny percentage is raised in Ireland. Bono probably pays more income tax here in a year then you will.pay for.your life.

Bono and the boys are probably only on a modest salary (sub 100k), and they’d pay their tax on that.
    The Dutch company (which holds all the wealth & profits) probably buys their flights, pays for their hotels and lavish lifestyle, even down to petrol for their cars. Any personal expenses would be tax deductible, so the modest tax they pay on their sub 100k salary would be reduced even further.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

The three behind Bono are under appreciated. Especially the edge. For their music they should be as lauded in Dublin, as the Beatles are in Liverpool. Some day they will be fully recognised as they have 4 times the longevity of the Beatles, even though they couldn't break new ground like the Beatles did 66-70.

Probably the two greatest bands in music history (for their entire body of work) and they come from this same small part of the world.

^^^This... Your right because I don't think people do appreciate the sheer volume of work that U2 have put out.
    Compared to alot of other greats they have consistantly been making music for 40 years. Bands like the Stones haven't wrote material in donkeys.
    What I like about U2 also is that they made a pact that the money is evenly split between them and because of this mutual respect they seem to be still good friends to this day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

They should really call it a day at this stage TBH. Creatively they've been a spent force for years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭FFred

It is very cool to say you hate U2. Fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Like some of their stuff, not enough to to go see them live but enough to compile a Spotify playlist. As to their tax arrangements, it's no different to what most wealthy people opt to do. Unfortunately Bono does come across as a sanctimonious pain in the neck who seems to believe his own hype.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,317 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Erm I think there was one U2 tune I liked back in there day and I can't even remember what that one was now right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

no.8 wrote: »
    Great song but only 1 persons opinion and that's all it will be taken for.

*The opinion expressed by Irish Guitarist regarding the best thing Bono and The Edge ever did is not endorsed by Boards.ie or any other company.

No person or entity associated with this post received payment or anything of value, or entered into any agreement, in connection with the depiction of tobacco products.

No animal was hurt in the making of this post.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,449 ✭✭✭touts

I used to like them when they were Irish but then they decided they were Dutch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,056 ✭✭✭✭Esel

It's Bo-no to his real fans.

"The name is Vox. Bono Vox."

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement