Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

simply paying with contactless in LIDL

Options
  • 08-10-2018 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,731 ✭✭✭✭

Popped into local LIDL store yesterday , it was heaving. Only really wanted one thing on that particular trip which cost 20euro picked it up from the shelf and looked in horror at all the tills choked up with customers with torlley loads of stuff and thought, in this day and age all I should be able to do is tap my cotactless card on the product whilst its on the shelf, pay for it .. walk out of shop without barrier beeping .. as simple as that! - of course I had to line up at tills and wait my turn - I think there were self serve tills I cannot remember, but even with them you have to queue up and wait your turn.

Mind you one way they did have me was that as I were waiting at till I picked up a pack of chewing gums as well - so they got me with their retailing marketing scam there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

Oh the humanity!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,731 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Snotty wrote: »
    Oh the humanity!!!

.. and humility - theres everyone with trolleyloads of stuff and theres me with my one 20euro item :)

bet they love customers like me

• Registered Users Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭Odhinn

I blame the gay marriage thing.

Odhinn wrote: »
    I blame the gay marriage thing.

I dont .. I think Brexit is to blame :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭Allinall

I’ve been that soldier on a few occasions.

Each time I unashamedly approached the queue and asked if they would mind letting me skip through.

Never had anyone say no.

Nice people are nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,410 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Wasn't there a staffless store a while back? Everything was debited from your card when you picked it up.
    How's that working?

Allinall wrote: »

Each time I unashamedly approached the queue and asked if they would mind letting me skip through.

Never had anyone say no.

Nice people are nice.

I never tried that ... yeah must try it next time. I normally wait until someone says "here you go ahead"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Mookie Blaylock

kneemos wrote: »
    Wasn't there a staffless store a while back? Everything was debited from your card when you picked it up.
    How's that working?

It's stockless

How's that working?

I didnt hear about that personally. sounds alright though

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Andy, Lidl are what's known as a budget store, their whole business model revolves around the concept of them buying in bulk, and selling on at (presumably) small margins, on a no thrills basis.

If they were to start installing such a technological advanced automated system such as the one you have suggested, the upfront costs and ongoing maintenance of same would soon start eating in to their bottom line.

To increase the bottom line, they'd have to increase the price of a load of their stuff, which might make them no cheaper really than their competitors.

You see where Lidl might be against your idea?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

If everywhere smells like shít, time to check your own shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Mind you one way they did have me was that as I were waiting at till I picked up a pack of chewing gums as well - so they got me with their retailing marketing scam there.

Sneaky German bastards. Who'd have thought that they of all the European peoples would be so dishonest?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Never had anyone say no.

Nice people are nice.

I always offer the one behind to go before me if he has just a few and they do the same for me... My walking aid helps of course :) But yes people are nice

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭ShaneC93

in this day and age all I should be able to do is tap my cotactless card on the product whilst its on the shelf, pay for it .. walk out of shop without barrier beeping

That's not really something that would be easily possible. It would be so expensive to implement something along those lines that it wouldn't be worth it for the stores to do.

Look up "Amazon Go" though, it's a concept by Amazon with a few stores in the US where they track what customers pick up / add to their basket using a ton of cameras and sensors on the ceiling and they just charge the customer's Amazon account when they walk straight out the door. Walmart has been testing something similar.

They're still working out the many problems that come with that concept though like the system losing track of objects or people putting back items but in the wrong place or what to do when someone hands someone else an item.

In China & Korea they have something similar too whereby the customer scans they app to enter the store and then they only have to drop all their items onto the scanner for it to add everything to their basket and charge their card, if they don't pay, the doors don't open to let them leave.. I feel like this could be great for use in rural towns where a staffed store may not be financially viable.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭joe stodge

if this is was the worst thing to happen you over the weekend I think you have it too good.

ShaneC93 wrote: »
    That's not really something that would be easily possible. It would be so expensive to implement something along those lines that it wouldn't be worth it for the stores to do.

Look up "Amazon Go" though, it's a concept by Amazon with a few stores in the US where they track what customers pick up / add to their basket using a ton of cameras and sensors on the ceiling and they just charge the customer's Amazon account when they walk straight out the door. Walmart has been testing something similar.

They're still working out the many problems that come with that concept though like the system losing track of objects or people putting back items but in the wrong place or what to do when someone hands someone else an item.

In China & Korea they have something similar too whereby the customer scans they app to enter the store and then they only have to drop all their items onto the scanner for it to add everything to their basket and charge their card, if they don't pay, the doors don't open to let them leave.. I feel like this could be great for use in rural towns where a staffed store may not be financially viable.

Tesco are trialling one as well. It would be so handy.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/jun/28/tesco-shop-and-go-app-till-free-store

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Never had anyone say no.

Nice people are nice.

I do that at 9:55 pm when have a bottle of wine

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

How's that working?

Thats an Amazon thing, its still working...started with 1 store in January, they now have 5 with 6th opening soon

https://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=16008589011

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

To be fair Andy you chose to go to the new Lidl store in Sligo didn't you? On the first weekend it opened. Queues are to be expected.

You could easily have gone across town to their other store, which would have been empty, thereby avoiding the queues and this thread.

To be fair Andy you chose to go to the new Lidl store in Sligo didn't you? On the first weekend it opened. Queues are to be expected.

You could easily have gone across town to their other store, which would have been empty, thereby avoiding the queues and this thread.

you cant say that - they are always busy and have queues , granted maybe more busier this weekend. still think it a good idea to tap the contactless card onto the product itself and then just walk out. yeah i think it a good idea ... its the future :)

• Advertisement

come to think of it, i think the item i picked up might have been a new store opening special offer because i cannot see it in the weekly special offers leaflet :P

• Registered Users Posts: 30,271 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Andy you need to move out of the big town of Sligo and go to a little town where you won't have all these queues!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

At least you didn't have to deal with the Elvis checkouts in Dealz.

Wheety wrote: »
    At least you didn't have to deal with the Elvis checkouts in Dealz.

Funny for ten seconds.

https://www.thesun.ie/money/3225557/dealz-ireland-elvis-presley-checkouts/

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

you cant say that - they are always busy and have queues , granted maybe more busier this weekend. still think it a good idea to tap the contactless card onto the product itself and then just walk out. yeah i think it a good idea ... its the future :)
    Like most of your ideas though it falls down on the slightest analysis. It'd push the price of the item up so much you wouldn't have been buying it in the first place. I guess most of the people wouldnt be shopping there either so yeah it'd drastically cut down the size of the queues.

Shop online if you don't want to stand in a line, or go at any time other than the first weekend the shop opens perhaps. It'll literally never be busier than the time you chose.

Popped into local LIDL store yesterday , it was heaving. Only really wanted one thing on that particular trip which cost 20euro picked it up from the shelf and looked in horror at all the tills choked up with customers with torlley loads of stuff and thought, in this day and age all I should be able to do is tap my cotactless card on the product whilst its on the shelf, pay for it .. walk out of shop without barrier beeping .. as simple as that! - of course I had to line up at tills and wait my turn - I think there were self serve tills I cannot remember, but even with them you have to queue up and wait your turn.

Enact a ban on the elderly to cater for your whim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

How's that working?

That was fortunestown, dont think they used a debit card, think it was a digger

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Your man can say that though, you could not even get into the car park on opening day.

Tesco in Enniskillen has handheld devices at the enterance, which you use to do your shop to avoid the tills. Not sure how they work, scan as you go around I think, but the future could already be here. Just wait till they go self aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Your man can say that though, you could not even get into the car park on opening day.

Tesco in Enniskillen has handheld devices at the enterance, which you use to do your shop to avoid the tills. Not sure how they work, scan as you go around I think, but the future could already be here. Just wait till they go self aware.

Didn't Superquinn bring that in 20 years ago? I think there's a few Tesco's and SuperValus about with those, but no-one ever uses them

• Advertisement

They could do it Argos style. Just send in your order and they'll have have it waiting at a time you specify.

Advertisement