Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A 'No' Campaign in the Upcoming Blasphemy Referendum?

Options
  • 06-10-2018 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

After taking a quick look online, I noticed a fair amount of groups (particularly 'Atheist Ireland') campaigning for a 'Yes' vote in the upcoming referendum to repeal the blasphemy law.
    I didn't however find any groups campaigning for a 'No' vote.

I'd therefore like to ask; is there any organised group (local or national) that's campaigning in favour of a 'No' vote?
    If not, is there anybody who would be interested in creating one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,541 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Maybe if you explain first why you wish for it to be retained?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Cant see any NO group making much of a difference anyway. Its another nail in the coffin for archaic Catholic laws which are being rightfully taken out of our constitution.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 NewIrish01

o1s1n wrote: »

Being a Christian myself, I personally feel that the current blasphemy laws allow fair and constructive criticism of religion and religious groups without giving justification to persecution or to slanderous and/or hateful statements that lack advantages or utility in our society. In my eyes, a repeal of the laws would only enable hateful and violent people to express themselves without repercussions.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

NewIrish01 wrote: »
    Being a Christian myself, I personally feel that the current blasphemy laws allow fair and constructive criticism of religion and religious groups without giving justification to slanderous or hateful statements that lack advantages or utility in our society. In my eyes, a repeal of the laws would only enable hateful and violent people to express themselves without repercussions.

Our blasphemy law is used as an excuse be countries that are far more hateful and violent than most Irish people to repress religious freedom. So by keeping it you allow others to suffer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,803 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

To which the obvious follow-up would naturally be when DOES fair and constructive criticism become a slanderous and hateful statement? After all, Tommy Tiernan's crucifixion sketch on the Late Late many years ago could be regarded as blasphemous, but if that didn't breach any legislation at the time, it's hard to see what would do so. Better to repeal and have all religions treated in an equal manner, rather than anachronistic legislation that has never been invoked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭uptherebels

NewIrish01 wrote: »
    Being a Christian, I personally feel that the current blasphemy laws allow fair and constructive criticism of religion without giving justification to slanderous or hateful statements that lack advantages or utility in our society. In my eyes, a repeal of the laws would only enable hateful and violent people to express themselves without repercussions.

Ireland already has incitement of hatred legislation.
    while blasphemy could encompass any criticism.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

I'm an agnostic myself.
    But I think the likes of Michael Nugent and his ilk are just looking for an excuse to get noticed and are making a big deal about religion and how it effects himself and his loyal followers.

The current law doesn't effect anyone here.

Actually the current situation show's how relaxed and laid back we are here with blasphemy.

The law isn't taken seriously.

Just another bunch of snowflakes looking for any excuse to be noticed and trying to justify bashing religion and religious people but yet these Atheist Ireland guy's are saying everything should be equal.

Give me a break....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Any press release from those lovely people of the Iona Institute?

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

Id reckon the likes of Iona etc are skint after the abortion ref.
    Tho 1 person who might represent the No side would be that muslim professor from Trinity.

Id also think the turn out could be low due to election fatigue, people content with Miggledy or not caring less for any of them, or the topic on hand

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Should never have been enacted. What idiot of a minister introduced it in the first place and why?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

Should never have been enacted. What idiot of a minister introduced it in the first place and why?

yeah how exactly did it get into the constitution in the 1st place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

yeah how exactly did it get into the constitution in the 1st place?

The same way the ‘special position’ of the ‘Holy Roman Catholic and Apostolic Church’, provisions against divorce and the primacy of women’s place in the home did - via DeValera and McQuaid’s unholy alliance.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,248 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

It will be interesting to see will any Islamic groups in Ireland join with the extreme elements of the Catholic Church in opposing this referendum.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Edgarfrndly

nthclare wrote: »

So let's get rid of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,861 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I'm sure Senator Ronan Mullins will use this as his time to shine.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭colmufc

Its crazy it was introduced in the first place ,there is no need for any reference to any religion in the constitution of Ireland and questions should be asked of why it was put in in the first place I remember when it was introduced and can't help but feel it was simply used to drag attention away from the economic turndown

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

The main argument I've seen against the referendum is along the lines of "it's doing no harm, why waste money repealing it". I haven't seen any arguments in favour of the law itself.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

The Catholic Church actually seems to be calling for a yes as it doesn't agree with the constitutional provision anyway.

I can't reach see any grouping other than perhaps very right wing Christians or Islamic groups coming out in favour of a No.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,477 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Posts deleted. Please do not respond to the troll.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 33,133 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Could anyone give an example of something you might say or do that would get you prosecuted under the existing law.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭touts

I expect John Walters is outraged at the suggestion of [insert random constitutional issue here] and will demand equal air time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,487 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

flazio wrote: »
    I'm sure Senator Ronan Mullins will use this as his time to shine.

He's already out of the traps: https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/proposed-blasphemy-referendum-hypocritical-says-ronan-mullen-870437.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

He's already out of the traps:

I know it's below the standards of the forum, but seriously you have to ask yourself is this lad for real?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I'm an agnostic myself.
    But I think the likes of Michael Nugent and his ilk are just looking for an excuse to get noticed and are making a big deal about religion and how it effects himself and his loyal followers.

Actually the current situation show's how relaxed and laid back we are here with blasphemy.

Just another bunch of snowflakes looking for any excuse to be noticed and trying to justify bashing religion and religious people but yet these Atheist Ireland guy's are saying everything should be equal.

Give me a break....

As I said earlier the blasphemy law here is used by way more active governments to cover their miss treatment of others religious beliefs, because Saudi Arabia use us as an excuse for their actions it should be removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

surely tormenting groups like 'Atheist Ireland' is reason enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,293 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Fecken liberal elite up to their old tricks again eh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Mancomb Seepgood

I'm an agnostic myself.

Give me a break....

Well, I'm a Christian myself.I still think it needs to go.God doesn't need the protection of the Irish state.

You say that the current law doesn't effect anyone and isn't taken seriously.That in itself should be reason enough to do away with it.Archaic laws are regularly removed from the statute book.We need a referendum in the case of blasphemy as the constitution requires such a law.

The only argument I've seen people make in favour of keeping it is that they don't like the people arguing in favour of doing away with it (Atheist Ireland/Michael Nugent etc).Spite shouldn't enter into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

I think the Iona institute are making a conscious decision to take a break, they're not prepared to be on the losing side of another referendum campaign in a row, the second in a year

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Robert McGrath

touts wrote: »
    I expect John Walters is outraged at the suggestion of [insert random constitutional issue here] and will demand equal air time.

I know he fell out with Roy Keane but is his anger now directed at the constitution too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,413 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

touts wrote:

Did he not promise to move to Spain if the abortion referendum passed?

Advertisement