Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dole threads, yea or nay?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

If Margaret Cash had been born on the other side of the tracks she could have made a fortune as a PR executive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

It's only the freeloaders

I'd say the people giving out about dole threads are the freeloaders.

It's been repeatedly said by most people here, that the genuine social welfare recipients are not the problem. Nobody has issues with the sick, disabled, carers, injured and cant work, just lost their job or have been trying to get one for 2 years....or people who have massively contributed to the pot over many years of working.

Its the minority, the lazy, schemers, drawing multiple welfare payments, taking, taking, taking, never legally worked who have been coached by friends of family about what "yu ar intiled too luv"....these fcukers are why our taxes are so high.

We work to fund their chosen lifestyle. This messing has to stop.

It's the genuine social welfare recipients by default that end up getting lumped in with these fcuktards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭nim1bdeh38l2cw

Blast Margaret Cash with piss, the scrounging lowlife

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

I'd like this dole thing, how do I get it?

If Margaret Cash had been born on the other side of the tracks she could have made a fortune as a PR executive.

If only her parents had the foresight to move the caravan...

• Advertisement

Kivaro wrote: »
    So you want us to ignore the likes of Margaret Cash and Erica Fleming. Maybe pretend that they don't exist.
    You do understand that working people also use After Hours, right?

They’re not on the dole. One is on back to education and the other lone parents allowances.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Blast Margaret Cash with piss, the scrounging lowlife

D'ya know what...I used to agree with that argument.

It really is the system which is in place thats at fault. I'm no expert on the system and admit to knowing fup all about it.

However, a system which rewards people who contribute nothing and accumulates to over €40,000 - €50,000 of assistance payments a year has to be questioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Some people are lucky enough never to have had to use the dole before.

i hope their good luck continues forever.

For those of us who have had to cope with redundancy and unemployment it was a welcome stop gap on the path to recovery.

There will always be those who are unwilling to work or incapable of working. Cutting the dole off doesnt stop that problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

They’re not on the dole. One is on back to education and the other lone parents allowances.

Is there a magic tree for these payments or are the workers picking up the tab? And what about their housing payments? Tax payers are also paying for this. And the numerous other "entitlements" that they are receiving ............. tax payers again? Erica wants better windows in her forever home; who pays for that? Yep, the tax payer.

Is there a magic tree for these payments or are the workers picking up the tab? And what about their housing payments? Tax payers are also paying for this. And the numerous other "entitlements" that they are receiving ............. tax payers again? Erica wants better windows in her forever home; who pays for that? Yep, the tax payer.

I was being pedantic and tongue in cheek!

In Erica’s case, there is a possibility that she will one day earn her own living. Possibly in politics.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

There will always be those who are unwilling to work or incapable of working. Cutting the dole off doesnt stop that problem.

Only that it would.

But the cure would be worse than the illness.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Well it's not bad if you don't have the following -

Mortgage
    Travel costs
    Childcare costs
    Medical expenses
    Prescription costs
    Property tax
    PAYE
    PRSI
    USC
    And some stuff I am sure I have forgotten.

It is (apart from a small contribution to HAP) a disposable income that many a worker would be thrilled with.

Add to that that the €198 quoted is the base payment.
    This doesn't include travel passes, medical cards, etc.

CruelCoin wrote: »
    Add to that that the €198 quoted is the base payment.
    This doesn't include travel passes, medical cards, etc.

You don’t get a travel pass when on the dole. Medical cards are means tested but most welfare recipients should qualify.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Chewbacca wrote: »
    It's been repeatedly said by most people here, that the genuine social welfare recipients are not the problem. Nobody has issues with the sick, disabled, carers, injured and cant work, just lost their job or have been trying to get one for 2 years....or people who have massively contributed to the pot over many years of working.

But the problem with dole threads on here is that there’s little room for nuance and every single dole recipient gets lumped into the one and it becomes a competition between posters on who can say the most outrageous and degrading thing about those on welfare.
    People like Margaret Cash don’t help the situation. I’ve avoided all conversation about her so far, but people like her give off the impression that all on welfare are standing with the hand out asking for more. I know myself I was extremely thankful for all the state assistance I got when I needed it and I would be mortified to state publicly that I felt the government was robbing me. Her attitude does genuine cases a massive disservice.

Life on welfare is miserable. I was on it myself for a year in order to apply for BTEA to go back to college. I’ve never known my confidence to plummet as much as it did in that year. Not only was I stone broke, but I was actively avoiding people and conversations about work because I was so ashamed of my circumstances. Not everyone is living the high life. I wish people on here would speak more about their time on welfare and how shlte it was because all we tend to hear are the sensationalised stories that get everyone’s backs up. The threads on here are usually so extreme that I don’t blame most people for not even clicking into them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,090 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

After Hours is so full of absolute **** at this stage its almost impossible to read the vast majority of the threads started in here.

The amount of self riotous pricks with there heads so far up there arses posting in here. They seem to think there above everyone else in society and that there opinions are the only ones that stand up and matter!

Having a job which causes you to be a miserable bastard crying about every bill and tax you have to pay doesn't make you better then anyone else...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

But the problem with dole threads on here is that there’s little room for nuance and every single dole recipient gets lumped into the one and it becomes a competition between posters on who can say the most outrageous and degrading thing about those on welfare.
    People like Margaret Cash don’t help the situation. I’ve avoided all conversation about her so far, but people like her give off the impression that all on welfare are standing with the hand out asking for more. I know myself I was extremely thankful for all the state assistance I got when I needed it and I would be mortified to state publicly that I felt the government was robbing me.

Life on welfare is miserable. I was on it myself for a year in order to apply for BTEA to go back to college. I’ve never known my confidence to plummet as much as it did in that year. Not only was I stone broke, but I was actively avoiding people and conversations about work because I was so ashamed of my circumstances. Not everyone is living the high life. I wish people on here would speak more about their time on welfare and how shlte it was because all we tend to hear are the sensationalised stories that get everyone’s backs up. The threads on here are usually so extreme that I don’t blame most people for not even clicking into them.

Well said, you're dead right there.

I've been on Boards about a year now and I must have seen at least twenty dole threads, it's like a national obsession, a bit like the weather for some.

Do some people screw the system? absolutely, but they really tend to be in the minority. NOBODY is living the high life on the dole. You get enough to put some food in the cupboard, pay rent and that's about it. Personally I don't know anybody who was on the dole and thought "yeah that's the way to go forward in life", it's a safety mechanism for people to stay alive and get back on their feet.

Anytime I had to be on the dole, through no fault of my own, I never claimed extra expenses like rent allowance, fuel allowance etc. I know some have to, especially those genuine families that just have to claim in order to survive, but my take was that I get what I get to get by, I'm not going to grab everything in sight because I thought that immoral.

I reckon a lot of the people that start dole threads have never actually been on it, so haven't a clue what it's really like for most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

I've been on Boards about a year now and I must have seen at least twenty dole threads, it's like a national obsession, a bit like the weather for some.

I've been on Boards for over a decade and 'dole threads' (i.e. threads where people complain about social welfare recipients) only really became a regular thing on here during the recession. Which implies that there was/is a cohort of people on this site who were lucky enough (or 'brilliant' enough, if that's what they want to tell themselves) to have jobs during the recession, and rather than being grateful, decided to lash out at the large (and very visible - I still remember the queues going out the door of SW offices and down the streets) number of people less fortunate brilliant than themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,992 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

The number of threads and number of posts indicate that people have a serious issue in this country with the way the social welfare system is structured.

it's mainly all coming from a few posters though.
    Its the minority, the lazy, schemers, drawing multiple welfare payments, taking, taking, taking, never legally worked who have been coached by friends of family about what "yu ar intiled too luv"....these fcukers are why our taxes are so high.

are they why our taxes are so high? can this be verified, or is it just another belief? would we get a tax reduction if these people either didn't exist or weren't claiming wellfare? i'd be shocked if we would. would taxes still go up on the other hand? most likely.
    I'd say the people giving out about dole threads are the freeloaders.

We work to fund their chosen lifestyle. This messing has to stop.

It's the genuine social welfare recipients by default that end up getting lumped in with these fcuktards.

and who lumps the genuine in with the "fcuktards" . i don't, many others don't. from what i can see it's mostly a sector of the people who spend their lives ranting about wellfare who are doing it.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

So you want us to ignore the likes of Margaret Cash and Erica Fleming. Maybe pretend that they don't exist.
    You do understand that working people also use After Hours, right?

Well yes, as it is none of your/our business. None of these threads achieve anything. The system allows this; of course individuals are going to try to abuse it.

We know what is going on but rattling on as is done here damages you not them.

Maybe focus on reporting welfare abuse?

I've been on Boards for over a decade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

After Hours is so full of absolute **** at this stage its almost impossible to read the vast majority of the threads started in here.

The amount of self riotous pricks with there heads so far up there arses posting in here. They seem to think there above everyone else in society and that there opinions are the only ones that stand up and matter!

Having a job which causes you to be a miserable bastard crying about every bill and tax you have to pay doesn't make you better then anyone else...

The best laugh I got all week was reading that one of the most prolific dole - social housing bashing posters in various dole bashing threads was in receipt of SW/and social housing themselves.

I literally spat out my tea when I read it. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

I literally spat out my tea when I read it.

This is too good, any chance you can say who it is?

I'm Boards for several years, but for personal reasons I had to close my old account last year.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

This is the best page of posts I've seen on boards for a while, nice to be reminded every now and again not everyone here is a grumpy old tool

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    This is too good, any chance you can say who it is?

I read it on the help forum, and true enough the poster had indeed (possibly still) been on the rock and roll and had themselves secured a house from the social.

They must have been a bit upset at being exposed as the self righteous hypocrite they appeared on the site, as the post that outed him has since been deleted.

Some level of stupidity all the same.

Some level of stupidity all the same.

You can't fix stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

• Registered Users Posts: 30,276 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I actually don't get jealous of people on social welfare at all really. In my experience there lives don't seem to be as glamorous as some make them out to be. Now there are people who really abuse the system but often these people squander the money on rubbish. The thing that pisses me off is that people and other services may not get the money when they need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,090 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

I actually don't get jealous of people on social welfare at all really. In my experience there lives don't seem to be as glamorous as some make them out to be. Now there are people who really abuse the system but often these people squander the money on the great rubbish ever. The ting that pisses me off is that people and other services may not get the money when they need it.

Exactly that's my main issue with system fact you could be working all your life and when you really need hand they will ride you for it! Then you get ****ers who never worked day in there life and don't want to who get everything with little issues.

My father's worked since he was teenager he ****ed his wrist up in work accident couple years ago and hasn't been cleared medically yet to go back needed operation s and all.

The social welfare wouldnt pay him at the start and when he finally got illness they kicked him off after a while and he's obviously not allowed jobseekers.

That's my issue with system and that's a different matter to moaning about every little thing people are getting!

• Advertisement

The social welfare wouldnt pay him at the start and when he finally got illness they kicked him off after a while and he's obviously not allowed jobseekers.

This doesn't add up.

Advertisement