Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

selling a van low on donedeal. got 30 calls one guy. wants address. scam?

Options
  • 05-10-2018 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I am selling a good van cvrt ran out. I initially asked 500.

Immediately I got a call from an African man who wanted to buy for his sister.
    He wanted to look Saturday but wanted the address now.
    I told him the area and I will text the address Saturday. I told him 300 is the bottom price. I can get same if i take off some good parts and bring the rest to the scrap.

Then I got 30 calls from 4 other different numbers one UK 3 west-African. They were all from his brother who told me he wanted to export it and had tow ready and boat trip ordered for Saturday. He wanted the address now. Then a text offering 250 would I take it and text him my address.

Then the Irish number again and they guy told me he wanted the address and when I told him Saturday he hung up.

This borders on harassment.

Are they trying some scam?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

Probably looking for your address to steal it before Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭mathie

If its George Agdgdgwngo then you're good to deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭xabi

a7 wrote: »

I told him the area and I will text the address Saturday. I told him 300 is the bottom price. I can get same if i take off some good parts and bring the rest to the scrap.

Then I got 30 calls from 4 other different numbers one UK 3 west-African. They were all from his brother who told me he wanted to export it and had tow ready and boat trip ordered for Saturday. He wanted the address now. Then a text offering 250 would I take it and text him my address.

Then the Irish number again and they guy told me he wanted the address and when I told him Saturday he hung up.

Harassment? You put your number on DoneDeal

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Anything revolving Africans who want you to deliver it somewhere or have it picked up by someone is 99% a scam.

I'm sorry.

I bet you he wants to pay by cheque.

Hopefully I am wrong and he will help me regain my trust in Africans who reply to online adverts asking for things to be delivered...

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Exporting a €300 van? Why would you bother. Sounds very dodgy.

Always think you should pick up a burner sim-card for stuff like that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Interested in a swap for a PlayStation 3 and Fiat Punto?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I can check this out for you if you want. PM me your address and I'll look into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

What colour is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

Of course it's a scam. Exporting a 500 euro van?

But yeah this is the risk you take putting contact details online.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 a7

They do export 500 euro vans. https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056066942
    But why 5 numbers and why call so many times?
    I will ask them to bring cash only from now on. Thanks for the tip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,227 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    Anything revolving Africans who want you to deliver it somewhere or have it picked up by someone is 99% a scam.

I'm sorry.

I bet you he wants to pay by cheque.

Hopefully I am wrong and he will help me regain my trust in Africans who reply to online adverts asking for things to be delivered...

They just want freedom!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Birneybau wrote: »
    They just want freedom!

Haha yeah I noticed that typo but I hate that "edited" footer too much to fix it...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

No, cars and vans we'd consider shítheaps over here can sell for a considerable bit more in west Africa. I'm surprised it's not done more tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭ShaneC93

There's so many scammers on Adverts & DoneDeal it's unbelievable.

I'd advise only giving out your number after some back and forth in messages or not at all and never, 100% never accept anyone asking to pay you via PayPal. (2 in 3 times it's a scammer who collects the item then does a chargeback and unless you've concrete proof of them collecting it PayPal always awards the chargeback against the seller).

Also be really careful about meeting at your house, letting people inside your house and discussing anything like working hours, holidays etc. Those websites are prime grounds for those looking to target / case a place.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭incentsitive

Don't EVER EVER EVER meet anybody when selling a car at your house. You don't want them coming back to you if something goes wrong. Meet them at a neutral location, preferably a petrol station or somewhere with CCTV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Don't EVER EVER EVER meet anybody when selling a car at your house. You don't want them coming back to you if something goes wrong. Meet them at a neutral location, preferably a petrol station or somewhere with CCTV.

On a similar note, don't EVER EVER EVER meet anybody at a neutral location while buying a car. You want to have somewhere to go back to if something goes wrong. Meet them at their house.

He wants to export he is not coming back and nothing can go wrong it is buying a van as is for a low price.
    Hm come to think of it Yerda Sellsavon is that not an Afrikan name? ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭incentsitive

On a similar note, don't EVER EVER EVER meet anybody at a neutral location while buying a car. You want to have somewhere to go back to if something goes wrong. Meet them at their house.

I'd never expect anybody to agree to meet me at their house? Sure a car is sold as seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Did you tell them to f--k off?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

some hassle for a few hundred quid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,358 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Interested in a swap for a PlayStation 3 and Fiat Punto?

Would you be interested in a bottle of Fanta limited edition and a sky remote control for the Punto ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Op, can you post a link to your ad please?

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

I think I will scrap the thing.
    The same one called me another 10 times on different phones and I had told him to take a hike after the advise I got here.
    He is still trying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

I think I will scrap the thing.
    The same one called me another 10 times on different phones and I had told him to take a hike after the advise I got here.
    He is still trying.

Tell him that if he sends the money with western union you can have the car delivered to the docks

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

My name is Captain Obrer Forango of the West Nigerian Freedom Corp. If you give me your bank account details I will immediately transfer 5000 dollars for your van which will be used in our freedom struggle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

I see a gap in the market here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

Exporting a €300 van? Why would you bother. Sounds very dodgy.
    Always think you should pick up a burner sim-card for stuff like that.

Burner sim for sure, well, not a main number anyway, but I sold a fridge recently for very little, and they were shipping it off in a container load of other stuff, so yes, people do export it. New stuff probably costs a lot more there relative to secondhand here which is mostly probably quite good condition.

No, maybe, but you cant expect to sell or even give away secondhand stuff sometimes without a bit of hassle. I got rid of a suite, someone wanted it, its not in landfill, plus they moved it, I didnt have to pay to get rid of it, move it or dump it.

I would expect to maybe meet someone nearby on initial viewing, as Ive done when selling, but Id have no problem showing them to the house if they agreed to buy and I saw they had the money, confirms for them you are the registered owner and that the paperwork tallies up, Id expect no less when buying.
    No matter the cost, Id never let anyone drive unless they have a policy that says they can drive, maybe have handed over the money as a deposit in case they crash and have signed something to say they are using their insurance, its just not worth ruining your insurance.

I'd never expect anybody to agree to meet me at their house? Sure a car is sold as seen.

Yes, but you need to know they own it and can confirm that, no point buying a sold as seen and have it turn out to be stolen or simply not owned by the seller.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,295 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Take yourself over to Motors section.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭FFred

I am job..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,007 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I require your van for my work on the oil rig ships.

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement