Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exports

Options
  • 20-10-2010 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭

I'm hearing alot about 4x4 exports going to Africa anybody care to enlighten me about this process

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭dunsandin

A really smart African guy down the road does it(obviously not all of it, but its his job) He buys older Hiaces, Mazda, mitsubishi and Hyundai vans, crams them full of used parts and engines for spares, and ships the lot over with the doors welded shut to prevent things going missing. The African mechanics the far end fix them up and sell em. They also buy older 4*4's, mostly pajeros,fourtraks and cruisers and do the same. Ditto for honda generators. They know whats good and will last in the rigors of the bush, and funnily enough, he don't wanna buy any Ducatos or Traffics etc. Its gotta be Jap scrap. Rescourceful guys them Africans.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

Are they buying any particular age of vehicle or mostly the older models:confused: Bet ya won't find them with landrovers either:D

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Conor_M1990

How do you actually find a buyer off there this is the bit I cant seem to work out for love nor money

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

Friend of mine sold a mid 90's Mitsubishi van last year to one of those lads. Yer man arrived, gave it a good looking at and trailered it away. The buyer saw it advertised on Donedeal. He said the guy came across as a complete chancer, but paid up in cash and in full.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 casm23

I'm hearing alot about 4x4 exports going to Africa anybody care to enlighten me about this process

I'm on the other side of the planet right now, but I can tell you it's not just 4x4s.

Moved to Los Angeles in 1998. Peugeot left the US market in 1992, and the resale values of their cars dropped through the floor accordingly. The Peugeot 505 was a popular export choice for Africa as a result - the US-model cars were cheap on the secondhand market, highly-specced (couldn't get A/C, the V6, and power everything in Africa, evidently), and in good shape from the climate and relatively easy use.

Other popular export models were pick-ups (American and Japanese), Toyota Camrys, and Honda Accords. Apparently the port at Long Beach was sending out a couple hundred of each every month to Nigeria and Ghana.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭_Conrad_

kay 9 wrote: »
    Are they buying any particular age of vehicle or mostly the older models:confused: Bet ya won't find them with landrovers either:D

old school japanese, the tough, simple old stuff, that's what they like, and what they can fix easily. The only things that killed off the likes of old landcruisers, hiluxes, troopers here etc were rust (and people being unprepared to fix it), and vehicle age snobbery. they're still really reliable robust vehicles if maintained. Plus rust isnt such an issue in many hot dusty parts of africa. I've seen 3 isuzu MU's and a trooper at one stage that were exported to india!

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭oflynno

here is the science bit,i am told

the vehicle lands over there
    toyota or whoever,in order to compete in the african market,have to supply spare parts at a price that is affordable to toyota owners in africa,otherwise they wont sell anything.

so basically the spares needed are below dirt cheap,labour is for nothing and there is a market for these vehicles

toyotas,nissans,isuzus,vw transporters,mercs. also.they are all being exported as they can get parts cheap for them,toyota carina 11 petrols were all the rage recently.

they go for easily fixed cars upto mid 90's so they dont need too much diagnostics done on them.

original poster-what are you looking to shift?i like big toyota stuff and the older the better

the carina e petrol was also being bought and sent away.
    i sold a 2wd hilux to a lad and he said he was going to weld sides on it and fill the back with toyota engines and ship it that way
    i have aslo seen the lot lined up for the boat-3 or 4 vehicles stacked into each other,mad

only downside with exporting is the 2nd hand parts market here gets expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭kincaid

Hi

i got a fourtrak jeep 1994 and 1989 landcruiser both going great but probably need too much for test..ie body needs plated etc due to rust..
    are they worth much as i know the guys round our area would give buttons for them and then sell them off for a very good price...

also got a 1989 beavertail merc 814 lorry and 1996 carina both going very well?

kincaid wrote: »
    Hi

i got a fourtrak jeep 1994 and 1989 landcruiser both going great but probably need too much for test..ie body needs plated etc due to rust..
    are they worth much as i know the guys round our area would give buttons for them and then sell them off for a very good price...

also got a 1989 beavertail merc 814 lorry and 1996 carina both going very well?

does the landcruiser have a 2.4 or 2.4 turbo engine?
    the fourtrak has a 2.8 engine and if turbo should make 500 euros unless its a right bucket
    the carina should also be what they are looking for if it is petrol

pop up a few pics of whatya got
    i am not involved in the export trade at all but have sold a few bits to them and gleaned as much info as possible

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

I think ltdslipdiff is looking for a cheap fourtrak or similar over in the wanted section.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

oflynno wrote: »
    does the landcruiser have a 2.4 or 2.4 turbo engine?
    the fourtrak has a 2.8 engine and if turbo should make 500 euros unless its a right bucket
    the carina should also be what they are looking for if it is petrol

pop up a few pics of whatya got
    i am not involved in the export trade at all but have sold a few bits to them and gleaned as much info as possible

But how much would the exporter make from it? A LOT more than that I'd say!

landcruiser is 2.4

fourtrak 2.8 turbo i figured would be worth at least €850
    as for carina €400-450

as for the merc 814 they say they are getting between €1300 and €1600 for fair condition one with good engines and gearboxs
    (can anyone confirm this)
    i hear they just need mostly the engines and gearboxes

yes i wonder what the exporters themselves sell them at - at least double their money

landcruiser is 2.4

fourtrak 2.8 turbo i figured would be worth at least €850
    as for carina €400-450

as for the merc 814 they say they are getting between €1300 and €1600 for fair condition one with good engines and gearboxs
    (can anyone confirm this)
    i hear they just need mostly the engines and gearboxes

yes i wonder what the exporters themselves sell them at - at least double their money

your valuations are about right but they are quite tight fisted,the merc would probably be filled up with engines for the trip so it would save them some money

if you stick up an ad in donedeal they will come and look at what you have but they start low

hi they wont fill this 814 up as its chassis & cab.. lol!
    may put them on donedeal

thanks

never say never
    overload1.JPG

you never know .....

should get €1300 for the 814 as taking up too much room and need it gone

you never know .....

should get €1300 for the 814 as taking up too much room and need it gone