Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stories of landlord deposits being kept

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

all makes me very very happy tht after nine private rentals I now reside in a council place...sweet relief

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Wheres Me Jumper?

as a LL i often ask for 3 months rent. i find this avoids issues arising.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Moved into an absolute dump in Ranelagh during the Celtic Tiger and lived there for around two years. Despite being model tenants, the landlord tried to withhold part of the deposit for two things. Firstly, the grill pan was well worn. This was a cheap grill pan we had bought ourselves as the one that was in the place when we moved in was unusable. Secondly, he complained about the mould in the bathroom. We had spent two years warning him that the ceiling was leaking from the apartment above, so much so that the damp was visible in other rooms in our apartment. Only so many times that you can clean mould without taking down the wall and everything else it has grown into. That ceiling eventually caved in after we moved out because of the structural damage done to his house

Then a few years ago lived in a really nice apartment block for years. It was all good until a new management company took over who were absolute ****s. When I eventually moved out, they wouldn't give me my deposit back as it was a 'non-refundable' deposit. Load of absolute bullsh!t, but the lease was vague enough that they could get away with it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,074 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I got screwed over by a landlady at one point, not in Ireland though.

I moved out at the end of my lease and she happened to be away for a few months at the time and told me she'd settle up the deposit once the last round of bills came in. She had a new guy taking over my room (who I met btw, important for later on). No word from her for a few months. I tried texting and ringing, no response. I eventually got in touch with my ex-flatmate who told me that she came round a few months after I left and found the bed in my old room was broken. She reckoned it was my fault and withheld my deposit because of it.

Now, the guy who'd moved in to my room was probably about 130kg whereas I weighed about 90kg at the time. The bed was perfectly fine before I left. It wouldn't surprise me that the added weight in the meantime would have destroyed it. Again, she refused to get in touch. It was a private contract so I had no legal means of going about making a deal. Cow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Wheres Me Jumper?

Graces7 wrote: »
    :confused:

well from my experience tenants tend to treat your property very well, when you are holding 3 months rent as a deposit. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭uncommon_name

3 months rent, that is crazy money for somebody to try and come up with, especially with kids.
    I suppose you get away with it so why not!!

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭notsoyoungwan

Back when I was young and naive, I had a landlord claim that the lamp I had broken (which I admitted breaking, didn’t try conceal it) was an antique worth €200 and he withheld that from my deposit. I wasn’t assertive/tough enough to fight it and ended up having to suck it up. This was despite the letting agency messing up hugely throughout the year long tenancy, including giving me the key to move in before the previous tenant had moved out, sending the forms to the bank without putting their account details in so when the rent didn’t go in I got a threatening call from them, them not dealing with the complaint I made about the landlord letting himself in unannounced ‘to collect post’ whether or not I was there etc etc etc.

Thankfully I’m no longer a tenant but I’m older and wiser now, and wouldn’t tolerate the above 5hit.

Advertisement