Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Walking Dead | Season 9 | Episode 1 | A New Beginning [AMC] [SPOILERS]

Options
  • 03-10-2018 12:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭

the-walking-dead-season-9-key-art-1120379.jpeg

:: The Walking Dead - Season 9 Premiere ::

Episode 1 - "A New Beginning"

Airdate - October 7th on AMC at 9/8c | October 8th on FOX UK at 9PM

Rick and his group make a risky run to D.C. in search of tools they need to build a new world.

* This is an extended 86 minute episode (including commercials)

Season Promo

Episode Promo

How did you rate this episode? 59 votes

0%
    3%
    ArmaniJeanssLiamalone 2 votes
    0%
    13%
    Mr ELionelNashefritzelly8mvKnineebbsydownesyMike Tobacco 8 votes
    27%
    TinCoolWashoutgeeceeirlirishkevdellydori_dormerFreudianSlipperswillowthewispjohnnybmacuncleoswaldw/s/p/c/Big mac and friessabhailOkonjrkb2 Scoops 16 votes
    22%
    storkerJimmy BottleheadNUTZZclaivamojesiusdark crystalbrianregan09Terence Rattigandavo2001[Deleted User]Bret HartKeplar240BWalter E GO 13 votes
    18%
    knipexduridianYakultDarth MelkorParkman77thefishoneForeign SportsMac BGwynplaineunreg999engiweirdo 11 votes
    5%
    terryduff12Alfred Bordencrustybla 3 votes
    3%
    johnmolloy554charlietheminxx 2 votes
    6%
    machiavellianmeArdennes1944Banjaxed82DellyBelly 4 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

Season 9 Episode 1 | Opening scene

Early reviews
    Early critical reception for the ninth season of The Walking Dead has been generally positive, with critics noting its improvement over the two previous seasons, but remain cautious if the series can maintain its improved quality for the entire season. On Metacritic, the season has a score of 72 out of 100 based on 4 critics, indicating "generally favorable reviews". Reviewing the season premiere, Sarah Moran of Screen Rant wrote the episode "feels like the fresh start the series so desperately needs, trading grim wartime for a more peaceful period of growth and reflection" and praised the changes made by new showrunner Angela Kang. Erik Kain of Forbes called the first episode "the best episode since season 6 and better than many in that season as well."

Brandon Davis of Comicbook.com wrote a highly positive review based on the first three episodes, praising the more character-driven narrative. In another review from Comicbook.com, Cameron Bonomolo also praised the first three episodes of the season, writing, "The Walking Dead is now a political drama viewed through the lens of a zombie apocalypse, turning greater focus to more complex character-driven conflict that is at its strongest since the Frank Darabont-led first season." Bonomolo also called the third episode "jaw-dropping" and that it "delivers some of the finest mystery and drama the show has ever seen in its eight-year run." Jeff Stone of IndieWire wrote a positive review based on the first three episodes and gave them an "A-" grade. He called season 9 a "huge step up for the show" and that the episodes "are as strong as anything the show's done since the heyday of Season 4.

The new opening credits for Season 9!

• Registered Users Posts: 60,297 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

It's out there in the wild.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

its an okay opener - some over the top set pieces but some grand work laid for conflicts between the main characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

It's out there in the wild.

Fo shur?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭jonon9

Its that time of year again, Heres hoping its gonna be a good season.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭thefishone

ED E wrote: »
    Fo shur?

just watching it.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,297 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

ED E wrote: »
    Fo shur?

Ye watched it this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭MaxyJazz

Ye watched it this morning.

Where did you watch it ! Pm if you can’t put up the link here please

• Registered Users Posts: 17,255 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Well hello Maggie! We are Maggie. This is gonna be interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭jonon9

Lets see it wasnt a great opener but it was ok the Maggie plot should be interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Was only OK but to be fair, yards better than any of the crap that was the previous season. Thank god, seems to be a renewed focus on the walker threat. Please god don't let it fizzle out into more petty internal politics no one gives a crap about.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,794 ✭✭✭✭unkel

You're all a bunch of masochists :)

I watched and enjoyed the first season. Then I watched the first ep of the second season. Twice - just to make sure. I just had to conclude that the same thing was happening over and over again.

Is there any reason why I should start watching it again?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

unkel wrote: »
    You're all a bunch of masochists :)

I watched and enjoyed the first season. Then I watched the first ep of the second season. Twice - just to make sure. I just had to conclude that the same thing was happening over and over again.

Is there any reason why I should start watching it again?
    Because the same thing will happen again, and you liked it?

• Registered Users Posts: 64,794 ✭✭✭✭unkel

That's why I stopped watching after I struggled through the start of the second season. It was the same as the first season. So is there any compelling reason to keep at it, or are all 9 seasons just the same thing happening over and over again?

Poll added

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Spoilers inbound , So pathetic that it took this long to kill Gregory such a threat to them , delighted he was finally , also I know this seems silly but why wasn't sanctuary shut down if its such a drain on resources and put them all to work , seems the obvious thing to do, there just doing the same thing now but under no threat (ie feeding the saviors at a cost to themselves)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭2 Scoops

Dialogue was a bit better, Daryl actually had complete sentences! Think there's a new producer

• Registered Users Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Can anybody explain the need to take the farming tools from the museum? OK, maybe I can accept the plough even though there must be plenty lying around abandoned including more modern ones. But why the unnecessary risk with the wagon?

Actually no. I can't even get my head around the plough.

Nice little twist at the end which could bode well for the future but I'm only watching to see how it ends at this stage. The reviews in an earlier post do give me some hope but I'm not sure I care any more whether it improves. I just want to see a resolution.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Collie D wrote: »
    Can anybody explain the need to take the farming tools from the museum? OK, maybe I can accept the plough even though there must be plenty lying around abandoned including more modern ones. But why the unnecessary risk with the wagon?

Actually no. I can't even get my head around the plough.

Nice little twist at the end which could bode well for the future but I'm only watching to see how it ends at this stage. The reviews in an earlier post do give me some hope but I'm not sure I care any more whether it improves. I just want to see a resolution.

I think we will all be looking like walking dead rotten corpses before this show ends. AMC are quite bullish this show is in their long term planning

• Advertisement

Because farm machinery needs diesel and they don't have..oh wait...nope no reason but adds some suspense to the first episode
    Thought the exact same thing about the wagon - why??? Unless I missed something about petrol/diesel degradation being mentioned which would be very real by now.
    Actually the more I think about it that is the way they are going, by now petrol would be pretty much useless ergo the horses which have never really been used before now.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,122 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'd say there were not too many old style horse drawn ploughs or wagons knocking around, hence why they raided the museum. Season 9 is set about 2 years after season 8 and as said, resources such as, gasoline and diesel that run modern machines have become scarce or none existent. Vehicles break down or seize and the ability to repair them becomes harder as time goes on. Power is gone because there is no fuel to generate it, technology from the last 100 years or so is either degraded/broken or useless. They are going back to basics around surviving and being self sustaining by using the likes of horses for transport, windmills, etc. Necessity is the mother of invention.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭w/s/p/c/

7/10 for me, solid start with a bit of promise.

About time that snake Gregory got what was coming to him. Great to see Daryl get more dialogue as someone previously mentioned. You just knew that the kid was going to die when he was saying he wanted to be taken on as an apprentice.

Would love to see more of it set in Washington, but that maybe the only time we see them in the urban setting. Knowing what we know about Rick (anyone see the ad Fox ran before the show? Would totally ruin it if you were not in the know about AL departing) and Maggie and what's coming down the line for their characters, really eager to see where they go after Maggie showing her ruthless streak at the end of the episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

That ridiculous wagon... should have just left it and brought the plough.
    Honestly hated the episode. Hate the King and Carol together. Hate Michonne and Rick. Hate the noob red shirts.
    Just can't understand why the sanctuary people weren't dispersed and integrated into the other communities.
    I'm not sure what I was expecting tbh but it wasn't this.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The kids death wasn't done well at all,a big panic over a dozen or so walkers that the group are dab hands at dispatching with ease,4 of them got rid of all the walkers when they were trying to save Ken as he lay on the ground.
    Nice to see the end of that weasel on Hilltop though.
    The upcoming row over the bridge looks to be a pointless plot device, judging by the building work going on in the settlements they seem to have people that are capable of repairs on it using timber so well planed that they must have a fecking sawmill.
    I still keep watching despite these obvious annoyances.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,319 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

The kids death wasn't done well at all,a big panic over a dozen or so walkers that the group are dab hands at dispatching with ease,4 of them got rid of all the walkers when they were trying to save Ken as he lay on the ground.

Wasn't a bad episode compared to some in the last couple seasons but that part did annoy me. A mad panic over what looked like about 15 walkers out in the open. With the amount of them there they should have been able to dispatch them all with ease. Instead they freak out and abandon some of their stuff and the kid goes back to free the horse.

Ezekiel and Carol together was a bit weird. I can only imagine this means one of them is going to be killed later in the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Can someone explain to me was the season premiere brought forward a week and why? ? It was originally meant to air on the 14th?

EDIT, ah I see, it premiered at Comic Con.

Was that a surprise airing?

Never seen a big show do that before

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Scraggs wrote: »
    That ridiculous wagon... should have just left it and brought the plough.
    Honestly hated the episode. Hate the King and Carol together. Hate Michonne and Rick. Hate the noob red shirts.
    Just can't understand why the sanctuary people weren't dispersed and integrated into the other communities.
    I'm not sure what I was expecting tbh but it wasn't this.

see you next week!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭ebbsy

I thought it was a good episode.

That Negan arc should have been played out over one season, not 2 though.

• Advertisement

Can someone explain to me was the season premiere brought forward a week and why? ? It was originally meant to air on the 14th?

All promos for it said the 7th

Advertisement