Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Murphy's Ice Cream

Options
  • 30-09-2018 12:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭

I love the stuff. So many great flavours and I love that there's a shop now in Galway but......

wtf is with the staff?! Seem like decent people but they're acting like Yanks.

You walk in the door to be greeted by "So what are up to today? What was that like? when is that on? I was thinking of going to that but I wasn't sure, what do you think?"

I am here to get some delicious ice cream not to make new friends or play 20 questions. People may think i'm being a grumpy b**tard but anyone who has been to the Galway shop is sure know what I mean. It's questions asked in a way akin to the fake type of questions you get from service staff in America.

I think fair enough if they need to Plámás the tourists/yanks but when I walk in with an Irish accent please just give me the f***in' ice cream and don't make me go through this rigmarole every time :confused:

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 386 ✭✭Jimmy.

Thanks Tom Murphy, say hi to Agnes for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,481 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Enda-sm.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,302 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Never has a man looked more awkward with an icecream.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Nothing special except the price

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Enda-sm.jpg

Cnut

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭trixiebust

I love the stuff. So many great flavours and I love that there's a shop now in Galway but......

wtf is with the staff?! Seem like decent people but their acting like Yanks.

You walk in the door to be greeted by "So what are up to today? What was that like? when is that on? I was thinking of going to that but I wasn't sure, what do you think?"

I am here to get some delicious ice cream not to make new friends or play 20 questions. People may think i'm being a grumpy b**tard but anyone who has been to the Galway shop is sure know what I mean. It's questions asked in a way akin to the fake type of questions you get from service staff in America.

I think fair enough if they need to Plámás the tourists/yanks but when I walk in with an Irish accent please just give me the f***in' ice cream and don't make me go through this rigmarole every time :confused:

They were the same the last time I went to the Killarney shop two years ago. Headwrecking.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭skD13

Walked out of the Killarney store recently, without buying anything, because of it. I find it extremely off-putting. Maybe I'm just a miserable git though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Genuine customer service is easy to spot and doesn't involve faux bonhomie from a teenager about how your day is going and what have you been up to. I usually just answer in one word replies as best I can to this sort of stuff get what I need and get out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

skD13 wrote: »
    Walked out of the Killarney store recently, without buying anything, because of it. I find it extremely off-putting. Maybe I'm just a miserable git though.

Your not. I like to be left alone whilst shopping as do a lot of people. Really despise obvious false friendly customer service. If i have a query, i will ask.

I just walked out of an empty store whilst shopping for sunglasses after not one but 3 staff did the same within sight of one another. My budget was 300$ as I need a good pair as spending long hours driving in Australia and the falseness made them lose out.

Fcuk off and leave me alone. :-)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Murphy owned a nail manufacturing factory. He decided to give things a boost, so he called in an advertising agency to make an ad for TV.

Three weeks later the agency rang saying his new ad would get its first showing on the following Wednesday night before the Angelus.

The ad came on and the camera zoomed in on a grassy field and there was lovely background music. The camera then moved over the grass and up the side of a hill. At the top of the hill it came to the bottom of a cross. It slowly moved up the cross... to reveal Jesus on the cross. It moved out to his hands to show the nails driven through the hands. A voice then said, "If you want a job done right use Murphy's nails".

Murphy rang the advertising agency in despair and asked them to change the ad. Three weeks later they rang saying there would be a new ad the following night. The ad came on as before, the camera focused on the grass, same background music.

The camera went up the hill and came to a cross, moving up this time there was no one on the cross. The camera looked off into the distance.... and there was Jesus legging it across the fields. A voice rang out, "They should have used Murphy's nails!"

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭Muscles Schultz

Murphy owned a nail manufacturing factory. He decided to give things a boost, so he called in an advertising agency to make an ad for TV.

Three weeks later the agency rang saying his new ad would get its first showing on the following Wednesday night before the Angelus.

The ad came on and the camera zoomed in on a grassy field and there was lovely background music. The camera then moved over the grass and up the side of a hill. At the top of the hill it came to the bottom of a cross. It slowly moved up the cross... to reveal Jesus on the cross. It moved out to his hands to show the nails driven through the hands. A voice then said, "If you want a job done right use Murphy's nails".

Murphy rang the advertising agency in despair and asked them to change the ad. Three weeks later they rang saying there would be a new ad the following night. The ad came on as before, the camera focused on the grass, same background music.

The camera went up the hill and came to a cross, moving up this time there was no one on the cross. The camera looked off into the distance.... and there was Jesus legging it across the fields. A voice rang out, "They should have used Murphy's nails!"

Hal Roach is that you?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Never tried their ice-cream. Maybe i'm missing out. Always assumed only sentimental yanks with large wallets actually go into those shops when in places like Dingle and Killarney.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

The ice cream parlour craze has come very very late to Ireland- the USA and Italy had these places 50+ years ago. Most here are horribly overpriced but I do love an occasional lemon sorbet from an Italian style gelateria. :)

From holidaying in Italy a good bit over the years - it seems like gelatria there are like pubs here - every small town has at least one.

...and here was me thinking this thread was about ice cream flavored after a well known Cork stout.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

JupiterKid wrote: »
    The ice cream parlour craze has come very very late to Ireland- the USA and Italy had these places 50+ years ago. Most here are horribly overpriced but I do love an occasional lemon sorbet from an Italian style gelateria. :)

From holidaying in Italy a good bit over the years - it seems like gelatria there are like pubs here - every small town has at least one.

...and here was me thinking this thread was about ice cream flavored after a well known Cork stout.:pac:

I could see them trying that as a flavour lol. Last time I was there I got a brown soda flavoured ice cream and some chocolate cake ice cream. And it was fucking delicious.

I truly welcome the ice cream craze. I think the donut craze was/is stupid, each place has the exact same base that they buy in, and then it is loaded up with sweets on top. There not even that nice, and are simply not worth the calories.

But gelato style homemade ice cream with all the different flavours is tremendous. I almost weep with happiness from how yummy they can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

They’re the exact same in the Kilkenny one. All happy happy bollix. It’s definitely the training and the personality (fake) types that they go for. They don’t seem
    to alter their fake rubbish for Irish people!
    And yes it’s very expensive for pretty average ice cream. Much prefer Scrum Diddlys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ANDREWMUFC

Went in the last day to get a cone just to see what they were like

Anyway this young lad behind the asked a dozen questions where was I going, what did I buy.

I had to tell him to get lost in the end.

Cnuts

ANDREWMUFC wrote: »
    Went in the last day to get a cone just to see what they were like

Anyway this young lad behind the asked a dozen questions where was I going, what did I buy.

I had to tell him to get lost in the end.

Cnuts

Did you buy an ice cream?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ANDREWMUFC

road_high wrote: »
    Did you buy an ice cream?

Nope. It was for the young lad but left after I got bombarded with questions

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

just pretend to be deaf, problem solved

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭d8491prj5boyvg

Next time one of you goes into a shop and asked how are you doing today, stay silent. After a brief pause, take out your phone, scroll to this thread and hand to your server.

That'll shut the prick up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭Wompa1

It would be really funny if it's not a management imposed thing and it's one guy who's just trying to be nice and everybody hates him for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,698 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Wompa1 wrote: »
    It would be really funny if it's not a management imposed thing and it's one guy who's just trying to be nice and everybody hates him for it.

Yeah, he works in all the shops simultaneously.

Most of the staff are just regular people doing a job to pay the rent. I doubt they enjoy it any more than you do. And most of the time they deal with real tourists.

If you really want to wreck their day say something like "I'm going up to the hospice to sit with my dying granny for the afternoon " or suchlike.

Wompa1 wrote: »

No it sounds like it’s the same fakery in all their stores...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

There is nothing worse than that fake customer service bull**** that you can tell the poor kids working there are FORCED to do by some c*nt of a manager.

And again, I love genuine good customer service - like when I go into Conns cameras and they have knowledgeable staff and they are genuinely interested in giving you good advice on lenses/cameras etc.

I remember in the Disney store once (yeah this would be the worst possible place for this kind of sh1te) and I was just getting a toy for my kid, and the server was asking me "Do you know there is actually another SW film coming out next year?" - it was around the time of the Force Awakens release and a lot of people didn't know about Rogue one - and then he would give a little promo of what the new film is about etc ... jesus wept ... just give me the toy!!
    You could tell he was memorizing a script and probably didn't give 2 sh1ts about SW - the poor kid HAD to do this with EVERY customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

I'm mad for some stout flavoured iced cream right now :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭skD13

Remembered what the conversation was now actually, happy happy girl rocks up (sees a bag from a shoe shop in my hand), "so, did you get the shoes you were after, are they nice etc. etc." "Errm" confused, "they are for my kids", bewildered, what's all this about, I just want an ice-cream FFS... left.

It's weird, this type of fake customer service approach. And I know the staff are made do it, but why, does it actually work? Everyone hates chugging but apparently it works.

Remembered what the conversation was now actually, happy happy girl rocks up (sees a bag from a shoe shop in my hand), "so, did you get the shoes you were after, are they nice etc. etc." "Errm" confused, "they are for my kids", bewildered, what's all this about, I just want an ice-cream FFS... left.

It's weird, this type of fake customer service approach. And I know the staff are made do it, but why, does it actually work? Everyone hates chugging but apparently it works.

That's far too personal. Looking at your bag and interrogating about your purchases! That would drive most of us berserk!

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭tmh106

I've bought ice-cream in their Galway store on a few occasions. It is expensive, but it is very very good - in my opinion, and in this case it really does come down to matter of personal taste I guess. so I'm prepared to pay the price because I treat it as rare indulgence.

As for the service, while it is definitely on the friendly side, I didn't find it overbearingly so. Somewhat surprised at the level of annoyance it obviously causes to some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

tmh106 wrote: »
    As for the service, while it is definitely on the friendly side, I didn't find it overbearingly so. Somewhat surprised at the level of annoyance it obviously causes to some people.

so am i tbh,

don't see anything wrong or weird with a staff member striking up a conversation with you? aren't we a nation of talkers after all?

wouldn't it be far worse if they were in a huff and ignored you???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

That sounds horrific. I am a glad I have never darkened their door, and now know not to even consider it.
    Still in mourning for the loss of Cestelli Ranieri myself. The last time that good ice cream was available in Ireland.

Advertisement