Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where are the Nutters?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

Nitrogan wrote: »
    I'd be in trouble if that were true.

What's your issue?

Just raging against the machine or have a gripe with modern lefty society?

What gives you the idea I'm either? Perhaps I simply think that it isn't good for society if those who question the popular view are dismissed as nutters?

Nearly all on the left. There’s no public support for far right wing groups. Yet boards is fairly right wing.

Note the difference you cite yourself.

There is a common tactic by the left to label anyone who isn't completely in line with whatever this week's viewpoint is as "far right" when in fact, they are usually centrist, or centre-right.

Note the common tactic (very noticeable here on boards) of accusing anyone with any concerns whatsoever about mass immigration etc as being nazis, bigots etc. etc. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,070 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Ah, an AH thread tossing around wild generalisations on all sides. I'll leave ye to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Nitrogan

Gravelly wrote: »
    What gives you the idea I'm either? Perhaps I simply think that it isn't good for society if those who question the popular view are dismissed as nutters?

Depends what questions they put though doesn't it?

Give us an example of something.

Depends what questions they put though doesn't it?

Give us an example of something.

Why should I, you are the one that started a thread labelling anyone who doesn't have the same political views as you as nutters. Perhaps you should expand on why, in a democracy, anybody who doesn't agree with you is mentally ill.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭Dick Swiveller

Basically, anyone who doesn't follow fashionable opinion is consider (a) a nutter or (b) an extremist. Most political parties are stuffed full of people who hold fashionable opinions, so it's very hard for an independent minded person to ever get a chance of being elected - save on the odd occasion.

Why should I, you are the one that started a thread labelling anyone who doesn't have the same political views as you as nutters. Perhaps you should expand on why, in a democracy, anybody who doesn't agree with you is mentally ill.

'Romanians are welfare scroungers who cost us money'.

I've heard that in many forms, and I'd describe anyone who said it as a nutter.

Maybe not mentally ill, perhaps just a bad person or not very smart.

So yes then. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep

I think there are three main reason's why extreme views in politics haven't taken hold here:

1. Standard of education. We have a pretty decent education system which covers a lot of different subjects. Most people who go through our education system have at least some knowledge of history and critical thinking.

2. History of immigration. Many Irish people have lived in other countries and have experienced different cultures first hand.

3. The north. The majority of people in the country lived through the troubles and while only few of us ever were directly affected, we've seen up close the human cost of political extremism.

• Site Banned Posts: 272 ✭✭Loves_lorries

20Cent wrote: »
    The Iona institute.

Iona are a Catholic activist outfit, there is no evidence they are right wing on economic matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,507 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

looksee wrote: »
    Ah, an AH thread tossing around wild generalisations on all sides. I'll leave ye to it.

The Irish are very good at that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

I'm intolerant of nutters. They're welcome to argue their case with me. :)

If youre intolerant of them why would you want to argue with them?

'Romanians are welfare scroungers who cost us money'.

I've heard that in many forms, and I'd describe anyone who said it as a nutter.

Maybe not mentally ill, perhaps just a bad person or not very smart.

So yes then. :)

That’s a very dishonest post. Your OP listed, among many others, “Brexiters and Trumpists” as nutters. Plenty of people who support either or both have perfectly acceptable political views. The majority of those who voted in the UK brexit referendum voted for Brexit. Now you are pretending you were referring to people with extreme views about Romanians.
    Have you changed your position, or are you using “Romanian dole scroungers” as a strawman to cover for your realisation that your OP was silly?

That’s a very dishonest post. Your OP listed, among many others, “Brexiters and Trumpists” as nutters. Plenty of people who support either or both have perfectly acceptable political views. The majority of those who voted in the UK brexit referendum voted for Brexit. Now you are pretending you were referring to people with extreme views about Romanians.
    Have you changed your position, or are you using “Romanian dole scroungers” as a strawman to cover for your realisation that your OP was silly?

I haven't described you as a nutter have I?

What views are you sensitive about?

I haven't described you as a nutter have I?

What views are you sensitive about?

Another dishonest post.

Are you going to defend your OP or are you admitting it was silly?

Another dishonest post.

Are you going to defend your OP or are you admitting it was silly?

Raging against the machine.

If you come up with a controversial opinion we'll have a chat.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

Why are people who hold opposing political views to you called nutters?

People are not necessarily intolerant if they disagree with you as long as they have a valid reason for voting the way they do? And even of they dont, why do they have to justify themselves to you?

Someone once said that housing should not be an economic commodity. This is a nut idea in my opinion.
    Felt like buying them a ticket to Cuba to show them what happens in states like that. But who am I to judge.....

Again with the dishonesty. To deflect from your inability to come up with an argument in defence of you OP, you try to make it about me.
    Very poor stuff indeed. Your opinions are worthless if you can make no effort to defend them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Note the difference you cite yourself.

There is a common tactic by the left to label anyone who isn't completely in line with whatever this week's viewpoint is as "far right" when in fact, they are usually centrist, or centre-right.

Note the common tactic (very noticeable here on boards) of accusing anyone with any concerns whatsoever about mass immigration etc as being nazis, bigots etc. etc. etc.

I’m partly an immigration skeptic myself, but my point still stands - boards is to the right of most public ideology in Ireland.

I’m partly an immigration skeptic myself, but my point still stands - boards is to the right of most public ideology in Ireland.

I didn't actually mean that towards yourself - I meant on boards in general.
    I think the balance of opinion on Boards (which is similar to most online fora in Ireland) reflects true public opinion very well, it is just that this opinion is not represented by mainstream media, therefore doesn't get heard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Iona are a Catholic activist outfit, there is no evidence they are right wing on economic matters.

Their founder (David Quinn) is right-wing on economic matters, and also on immigration - tried to blame immigrants for the housing crisis this week. Big fan of Israel too, which is always a good litmus test for wingnuttery.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Their founder (David Quinn) is right-wing on economic matters, and also on immigration - tried to blame immigrants for the housing crisis this week. Big fan of Israel too, which is always a good litmus test for wingnuttery.

The first and last point is true in Ireland. As for blaming immigrants, he was probably blaming immigration

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

You drank the MSM kool-aid that has the dictum that trumpers and brexiters are "nutters". Now having been called out on it you are refusing to admit it.

Having a negative opinion of them is fine. Dismissing them as "nutters" shows a great lack of understanding of the modern world.

It is quite ironic that you would use the term "raging against the machine" sarcastically when it's in fact you who are stirring **** and trying to cause an inflammatory reaction with this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

As for blaming immigrants, he was probably blaming immigration

You can't have one without the other. Either way, it's not very Christian of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,938 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I think the UK are doing the right thing with Brexit

It'll make everyone in the UK poorer, but yeah :rolleyes:
    but I really dont like when Ireland votes on something regardless of if it is right or wrong the EU can tell us they dont like our vote and to do it again

That never happened.
    and the fact the non-elected EU officials can create laws

That doesn't happen, either.
    You have to look at the good and the bad.

With Trump there is no good, unless you're a multi-millionaire availing of tax cuts.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

MadYaker wrote: »
    There is an irexit party as far as I know but I don't think it's really caught on here. That sort of toxic nationalism that Trump and Brexit capitalised on doesn't really exist here thankfully.

they are 1 meeting about a month - 6 weeks ago , bit harsh to say they haven't caught on.

Anyway I'm here OP - definitely pro Brexit and mostly a Trump fan..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Enough of all this talk about the elected Brexit (via democratic vote), and Trump (via demoratic system).
    Lets just do away with democracy altogether, isn't a nice reliable Dictator the ideal alternative.

Maybe one with a big hat, female bodyguards, en vougue beard, random chest pin awards, cool sunglasses, gold teeth and all essential trained tame lion on a lease for show.

NQ76XuI.png

• Site Banned Posts: 272 ✭✭Loves_lorries

Don't recall quinn making any economic points ever.

He posed the question could we ask if immigration was a contributing factor to the housing crisis, only a simpleton would believe that immigration is not one factor, many on the right believe asking such questions should not involve ducking while you ask, that this is how it is is due to the fact that the left control discourse and decide what is and isn't up for discussion, the arrogance on their part for appointing themselves this role of arbiter of what is acceptable is breathtaking.

On Israel, I don't have any time for their carry on but its telling you are willing to write someone off for holding a pro Israel position.

Enough of all this talk about the elected Brexit (via democratic vote), and Trump (via demoratic system).
    Lets just do away with democracy altogether, isn't a nice reliable Dictator the ideal alternative.

Maybe one with a big hat, female bodyguards, en vougue beard, random chest pin awards, cool sunglasses, gold teeth and all essential trained tame lion on a lease for show.

NQ76XuI.png

In the case of Brexit why not go for best of three. The Brexiteers never accepted the democratic vote of the 1970's, in which the Remainers had a much bigger majority than the Leavers in 2016. And you can be certain that if it was 52% Remain in 2016, the Brexiteers would have demanded further votes.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Deiselurker

Anyone who thinks immigration is not affecting the housing crisis is deluding themselves but it seems like it's not allowed to be discussed. I saw in the Examiner this week a 3rd of homeless people in Dublin receiving support from the council are foreign nationals and many are from non EU countries. Some have not claimed asylum. Eoin Murphy says he will talk to Charlie Flanagan about it.

• Advertisement

Anyone who thinks immigration is not affecting the housing crisis is deluding themselves but it seems like it's not allowed to be discussed. I saw in the Examiner this week a 3rd of homeless people in Dublin receiving support from the council are foreign nationals and many are from non EU countries. Some have not claimed asylum. Eoin Murphy says he will talk to Charlie Flanagan about it.

If you saw it in the Examiner, it is being discussed.

Advertisement