Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rotterdam Marathon - 7th April 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

24 last Sunday (3WU/4x1m tempo / 10m Easy / 4x1m tempo / 3CD) - went very well.

Thinking of doing Balbriggan HM on Sunday as a MP run.

All going well so far - looking fwd to getting it over with.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭browne_rob5

24 last Sunday (3WU/4x1m tempo / 10m Easy / 4x1m tempo / 3CD) - went very well.

Thinking of doing Balbriggan HM on Sunday as a MP run.

All going well so far - looking fwd to getting it over with.

Is it possible to sign up for the Balbriggan half on the morning of the race? Or even sign up now and pick up the number out there.

Is it possible to sign up for the Balbriggan half on the morning of the race? Or even sign up now and pick up the number out there.

No Idea - I'm hoping that I can pick my number up out there as I signed up too late to have it posted.

No Idea - I'm hoping that I can pick my number up out there as I signed up too late to have it posted.

Cheers I've sent them an email and will let you know if I hear back.

Cheers I've sent them an email and will let you know if I hear back.

They said you can pick up the number on the morning but to be there early. Think I'll get out there early and do 10k or so easy and run the half marathon at MRP like yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Doing a 20 mile tomorrow and will be doing the Balbriggan 10km as a recovery run with one of my kids who has to do a 10km as part of some awards program in school.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

Nice. Down with a cold since Thursday. Perfectly timed if I can shift it this week

How are you guys treating the next 3 weeks or so?

Mileage for the last few weeks;
    76 (peak)
    67 (Week just gone - inc 2x18 mile sessions)
    61 (4x2m / 17 easy)
    49 (2 easy sessions / 10-13m 'long run')
    Race week

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

How are you guys treating the next 3 weeks or so?

Mileage for the last few weeks;
    76 (peak)
    67 (Week just gone - inc 2x18 mile sessions)
    61 (4x2m / 17 easy)
    49 (2 easy sessions / 10-13m 'long run')
    Race week

Last year was......
    100k (5 Mile Race + 20x400 session)
    81k (24k midweek + 3x2 Mile)
    Race week.....2mile/2MP/2Mile on the Wed.

I've been on 50 mile weeks for the last while
    I had peaked at 65 in mid Feb but was knackered for the next week. I swim and bike too so was pushing it too much
    I've also gotten mad busy in work so sneaking off for a midweek tempo session lasting more than an hour is off the table. I've broken the tempos into two sessions, long run Sunday and two days easy trotting
    Apart from last week where I had to drop the long run due to achy flu my taper is
    40 miles this week =
    - 2 x 6 mile tempos as 1easy, 2 x 2 mile tempo, 1 easy
    - 17 miles long with 12 miles M pace
    - Make up the rest on easy runs
    40 miles next week =
    - 11 miles total split over Tuesday/Thursday of alternating tempo and M pace
    - 15 miles long to include 9 miles easy sprinkled with 3 x 2 mile tempos
    - Make up the rest on easy runs
    Race week =
    31 miles pre race starting with 8 easy and dropping down daily to Saturday evening 3 miles

I'm feeling good though, a bit sniffly still, but the tempo run yesterday was very comfortable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Weather is starting to shape up nicely for ye at the minute folks here in Holland.

Can't believe no conversation about post race watering hole's yet!!

www.paddymurphys.nl

is the popular one with Irish runners, nice place from what i remember of it in 2016!!

If you like craft beer i cannot recommend this place enough:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=2ahUKEwj80uHvnp3hAhVLbFAKHZzMAJIQFjAAegQIBhAD&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.kaapsebrouwers.nl%2Fen%2Ffrontpage%2F&usg=AOvVaw1TM7Yg8aildvW2s90lNvrW

excellent beers and really cool place. I had hoped to make it up on the day to cheer but i'll be solo parenting that weekend with the other half away.

I will be in that Irish bar for the Liverpool match on the Friday night, very close to my hotel so handy.

OOnegative wrote: »
    Can't believe no conversation about post race watering hole's yet!!

www.paddymurphys.nl

is the popular one with Irish runners, nice place from what i remember of it in 2016!!

There are other bars in Rotterdam?

There are other bars in Rotterdam?

Yip sure are, only saying this was the popular one in 2016 when I ran the marathon.

Yip sure are, only saying this was the popular one in 2016 when I ran the marathon.

Sorry, I was being sarky. I forgot pink font doesn't show up if you're reading on a phone

I was there early in 2017 so missed the session but it was a memorable, freezing cold pint or two before I headed for the airport. Easy to find too and along the end of the route

Any bib numbers or prediction table?

Weather looks set to be perfect Sunday, one thing I will say, the humidity has picked up in last week here so get fluids in at every drinks table to keep rehydrated.

Name|BIB|PB Time|Predicted Time
    andstillrickyvilla|2305|3:07:41|3:03:00
    |||
    |||
    |||
    |||
    |||

Only adding this to enter into the fun of the table.
    The cold I laughingly spoke about a few weeks ago has only just started to lift. I was looking good for 3:03 at the beginning of the month but now I'm not so confident. I've been running a bit but not able to test the M pace like I would have liked.
    That said, I'll be happy to stay comfortable regardless of the time. Illness and then injury kind of ruined the last two trips

|||
    |||
    |||
    |||
    |||

Only adding this to enter into the fun of the table.
    The cold I laughingly spoke about a few weeks ago has only just started to lift. I was looking good for 3:03 at the beginning of the month but now I'm not so confident. I've been running a bit but not able to test the M pace like I would have liked.
    That said, I'll be happy to stay comfortable regardless of the time. Illness and then injury kind of ruined the last two trips

browne_rob5|1428|2:57:13|2:52:30
    |||
    |||
    |||
    |||

Training has gone very well. Thought I would miss quite a few sessions as we had our first baby 9 weeks ago but have hardly missed anything. I intended on racing bohermeen to get a good indication of where I'm at but wasn't able to so I'm a bit unsure of what time I can achieve. Time above might be a small bit on the optimistic side but I'm going to go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭AhhHere

Best of luck to everyone running on Sunday. Will it be available to watch online does anyone know?

• Advertisement

AhhHere wrote: »
    Best of luck to everyone running on Sunday. Will it be available to watch online does anyone know?

Eurosport normally show it, haven’t seen the listings for Sunday yet though. If not Watch Athletics has streams available.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭AhhHere

Eurosport normally show it, haven’t seen the listings for Sunday yet though. If not Watch Athletics has streams available.

Lovely, thanks

browne_rob5|1428|2:57:13|2:52:30
    AuldManKing|1715|2.58.01|2.52
    |||
    |||
    |||

Training has gone very well, but I've been here before - tip top shape, aiming for 2.50 only to run 3.17.

DCM 2018 - I was on target for 2.55/2.56 & lost about 4 mins to cramp, running 2.59.17

For this race - with no hills, more fitness & stronger hamstrings - I can gain 3-4 mins I reckon.

So 2.52 is the logical target :)

Running a 6 minute PB would be a fantastic performance.

OK - The dreaded topic - the weather.

BBC have it getting to 15-16 Celsius by 12pm/1pm.

Great. Super. just dandy.

Might change my target........

Accuweather has been devastatingly accurate in the past
    They are forecasting a cloudy 16C on Sunday
    They have it at 21 for the same day last year :eek:

That explains my p!ss poor performance. Nothing to do with being undertrained :D

Local Dutch weather has it sunny, light breeze with max of 12 degrees before midday. As I said already humidity has been upwards of 80% lately in the mornings & might catch some out.

Any restaurant suggestions...?

Dub13 wrote: »
    Any restaurant suggestions...?

http://www.gusto-rotterdam.nl/

Ate there on the Saturday last year. Pretty decent fare....dined al fresco in the 20 degree sunshine :o hopefully you'll all have to eat indoors ;)

Lads - is the course marked out in Miles and KMs or just KM's??

• Advertisement

Lads - is the course marked out in Miles and KMs or just KM's??

Just Kms as far as I remember....

Advertisement