Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The word "junkies"

Options
13»

Comments

Oh I thought you had personal experience because of the indignant tone of your posts.

Guess you don't know whether those marks on baby changing tables are from heroin so. I reckon it is true that they are.
    No, I'm lucky in that I don't have an addiction. But I'm not so deluded as to believe that was some choice on my behalf, nobody sets out in life wanting a crippling addiction that will probably result in an early death.

Most of us should be capable of realising it was a genetic/ social lottery that steered us away from a life of addiction, and should have enough cop-on to not be absolute cnuts towards people who didn't have the same headstarts we had.

I'm not suggesting we patronise them, they've made certain choices, they have to live with that. But next time we consider going on a rant about the 'junkie problem' try to consider that person is probably living with a lot more anguish than your discomfort at seeing them. And they will be dead soon, anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Why is that hilarious? You'd have to ask the people circulating the image.
    What did they say when you asked them?
    But my central question isn't about the image I was sent, I'd like to know why we use the word "junkie"?

Yes, junk is a slang term for heroin.
    You answered your own question there
    Is it time this term was consigned to the dustbin?
    No.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

YA JUNKIES JUNKIES BASTARD YA!!

WATCH YOUR STRONES!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Greyfox

..and should have enough cop-on to not be absolute cnuts towards people who didn't have the same headstarts we had...on a rant about the 'junkie problem' try to consider that person is probably living with a lot more anguish than your discomfort at seeing them. And they will be dead soon, anyway.

I will always call them junkies although the walking dead may be a better term. They have Dublins city centre and the luas red line ruined and there addiction means many will turn to crime. Some don't get a chance to avoid the path they took. The majority do get the chance to avoid the path or to go on a path to get clean and most CHOOSE to stay as junkies.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,497 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The word "junkie" is used because addicts in the US used to collect junk and sell it in order to pay for their next fix of heroin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Greyfox

The word "junkie" is used because addicts in the US used to collect junk and sell it in order to pay for their next fix of heroin.

Reminds me of bubbles, a superb and very accurate character from the wire

Greyfox wrote: »
    Reminds me of bubbles, a superb and very accurate character from the wire

'You married to the needle boy'

Greyfox wrote: »
    They have Dublins city centre and the luas red line ruined
    The Red Line is ruined!

Tell that to any of the thousands of commuters who still manage to take the Red Line each working hour of the day. How on Earth have a few people ruined the Red Line, let alone the city centre?

Maybe 'snowflakes' are real, if there are people in this society who cannot bear to be on the same tram vehicle with a person living with serious addiction. I almost feel more sorry for the snowflakes, who seem to be unable to engage with the realities of urban living, pretty much anywhere except Riyadh.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

You're reading way too much into this.

Junk = Heroin
    Junkie = Heroin user

Not a coincidence. It's a derivative. Nothing to do with "human garbage".

It's been pointed out to you at least twice by other posters. You even mentioned it in your OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I really dislike the term 'Junkies', and I'm speaking as someone with the benefit of experience on my side having worked on various doors of pubs and bars in Dublin's Templebar area and grown up in Ballymun in the 70's, 80's and very early 90's when smack was a scourge to the area.

Before lording it over addicts have a look at these clips on youtube dealing with addiction on the streets of Dublin.

Also bear in mind anyone who know's me that most of my views are pretty far right, but I have huge sympathies for these poor souls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Let's be realistic... Junkies will steal from you. Tell you every lie under the sun to get whatever they can out of you. Steal from other junkies. Share needles with other junkies knowing they have HIV etc. The list goes on. But somehow it's not alright to call them junkies?

I think people need to move out of their bubble more. Look i'm not saying there is anything wrong with showing compassion... even helping those who need help. But don't be naive at the same token.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

slang terms are rarely complementary and I don't know why one would expect the slang term for heroin addict to be positive in nature. Joe Duffy says "unwell people" but that doesn't roll off the tongue quite as well. When I think of the term junkie it is definitely in the context of someone I feel sorry for. A lot of us, at some stage in our youth, were probably about 2 months away from being homeless and or a junkie, so I don't look down on them. coulda been me.

Advertisement