Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you pay to watch a real life Battle Royale?

Options
  • 27-09-2018 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭

I know this will be a non-runner in real life, because too many people care about other people who they don't know to make this viable. At least not in this country (pretty sure North Korea could get away with it!). But, let's say that it was brought into law, and the Battle Royale fight to the death with 1 winner became a thing. The contestants are made up of voluntary death row inmates and any civilian willing to participate. Max 100, 3 days, very similar to the Battle Royale films.

Let's say Sky get the rights to it. It's €100 for the full event. Would you pay it? Is this something you would support or even like to see?

I think I would pay it. If time travel was a thing, visiting the Gladiatorial Arenas back in ancient Rome would be something I'd love to go see. Not because I like to see death, but it looks like good entertainment! We're ok with boxing, UFC and other contact sports which can result in death, but we draw the line at that, and don't condone fighting to the death.

A company from Singapore and another from Australia are trying to create a similar Gladiator Experience using carbon fibre bodysuits and dulled weapons, with sensors to detect if a hit was a kill or injury (see Unified Weapons Master).

So, would you be up for watching real people fighting to the death in a Battle Royale style, or even something akin to the Gladiatorial Arenas in Rome? Would the modern society even allow this at some stage, or even future societies? I would also like to see events like Death Race for the automotive aspect of it!

Would you watch a real life Battle Royale? 42 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    47% 20 votes
    Not sure
    42% 18 votes
    THIS IS SPARTA!!!
    9% 4 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,983 ✭✭✭Odhinn

I'd certainly watch armed combat - be interested to see German longsword and so on, without people being killed.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Watch people die? Eh no.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Grayson wrote: »
    Watch people die? Eh no.

That's putting it a bit too simple. You're technically watching someone survive! It's like survivor, but with no respawns.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Definitely not

• Registered Users Posts: 11,477 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

If it came with a guarantee of the untimely demise of James Corden, then I'd consider it....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

If it's all inmates then fire away, they're worthless anyway. They said, I'm not huge into reality TV.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,237 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Nah, hunger games was crap, can't see this being any better!

Nah, hunger games was crap, can't see this being any better!

Ah but Hunger Games was too long and the area was too big. Put 100 people into an area the size of, ah, Cobh. Nice and small so loads of action!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Yes, it's called MMA.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

If it was free? Sure. I ain’t paying no money to see retards kill each other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

I nominate Piers Morgan and for his weapon I choose........a daffodil

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

If it came with a guarantee of the untimely demise of James Corden, then I'd consider it....

Actually… I’d pay good money to see his little bitch face pummeled into moosh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,832 ✭✭✭s8n

You know it would be presented by James Corden !!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,416 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

People I want to see in it.

James Cordin
    Donald Trump
    Boris Johnson
    Piers Morgan
    Putin- probably win it
    Kim Jong
    Assad
    The people who came up with the idea of love island and big brother and all that other ****e.
    The kardashians
    Bruce or whatever he’s calling himself now Jenner.
    Connor McGregor

Christ there’s so many people I’d want to see in it.
    It would be a ratings winner..Celebrity Battle Royale etc.

^ Prime candidates for removal from the gene pool.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

Barry Scott to commentate

"Bang! and the dirt is gone!"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Odhinn wrote: »
    I'd certainly watch armed combat - be interested to see German longsword and so on, without people being killed.

You can already do that with youtube, there are a number of sparring videos out there that use old sword fighting techniques from the Middle Ages (I'm not referring to the armoured MMA with swords and shields you see going on in Eastern Europe)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Seems like Tyrone GAA are trying to do something similar at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

I've been proposing this for years as a solution to prison overcrowding and getting some economic use out of some of the islands.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

Blazer wrote: »
    People I want to see in it.

James Cordin
    Donald Trump
    Boris Johnson
    Piers Morgan
    Putin- probably win it
    Kim Jong
    Assad
    The people who came up with the idea of love island and big brother and all that other ****e.
    The kardashians
    Bruce or whatever he’s calling himself now Jenner.
    Connor McGregor

Christ there’s so many people I’d want to see in it.
    It would be a ratings winner..Celebrity Battle Royale etc.

Good list, just let me add one, a terminator.

• Advertisement

Well I have paid to watch a Royal Rumble, so I suppose I could be swayed...

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Celebrity Deathmatch was a great aul show in the last century

Your mother and myself used to settle down of an evening and watch it on the Mteevee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

That's putting it a bit too simple. You're technically watching someone survive! It's like survivor, but with no respawns.

When you look at back at history why do you see yourself as spectator in the colosseum? Why not emphasise with the fighters. Because were you there you’d be a fighter.

When you look at back at history why do you see yourself as spectator in the colosseum? Why not emphasise with the fighters. Because were you there you’d be a fighter.

I'd imagine I would be a Lanista!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Well I have paid to watch a Royal Rumble, so I suppose I could be swayed...

Rumble is usually more fun, although the opening chaos of a Battle Royale is grät craic if you can follow it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

I'd watch it on kodi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Presidential Race battle royale.

At 77 years old, 5'3 Higgins would surely be the first to bite the dust. Bitta foxy boxing between Freeman and Ní Riada to keep us happy. Would surely boil down to Casey or Gallagher?

To decide President of Ireland? Yeah, baby!

• Advertisement

Noveight wrote: »
    Presidential Race battle royale.

At 77 years old, 5'3 Higgins would surely be the first to bite the dust. Bitta foxy boxing between Freeman and Ní Riada to keep us happy. Would surely boil down to Casey or Gallagher?

Looks like my girl friend :o

Advertisement