Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl Jump-start Power Bank with Compressor - 69.99

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

unkel wrote: »
    both with a battery that is far from brand new / perfect.
    unkel - I thought you knew the worth of a decent battery!

• Registered Users Posts: 64,795 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Oh, I do! The lessons learnt the hard way (sometimes even going against more experienced people's advice) are the best lessons, aren't they? ;)

The batteries aren't 100% but they are still fine. But when the children play in the car and leave a light on and the car hasn't been started for several weeks anyway, hoping it will still start is just asking a little bit too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭torrevieja

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Purchased a battery pack a few months ago (link below) as the kids have left the door of the car or interior lights on a few times which has required the AA to call and start the car.

It's a great yolk. Started a 2.0l diesel car last week without issue.
    Bought through AddressPal as it won't ship to Ireland.
    Will be purchasing another for the parents soon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06Y62KHSS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_t1_cyNTBbEB19NWV

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Thammer

What's the jist of using these gadgets , without straying too far OT

• Advertisement

Thammer wrote: »
    What's the jist of using these gadgets , without straying too far OT

Battery dead, car won't start. Connect this gadget to the battery, and car should start :)

Battery dead, car won't start. Connect this gadget to the battery, and car should start :)

Yea ok can you elaborate slightly

It's like jump starting your car with jump cables connecting your car to another car. With this gadget you don't need the other car. You can jump start yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

Isn't there a variation that allows you to jump start car via your cigarette lighter socket? No need to connect to battery direct, I remember seeing them a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

wexfjord wrote: »
    Isn't there a variation that allows you to jump start car via your cigarette lighter socket? No need to connect to battery direct, I remember seeing them a few years ago.

The cigarette socket is protected by a 10/20A fuse, starters can draw anything between 200-800A depending on the size of the engine. You'd just blow the fuse and possibly melt some wiring.

What you're thinking of are devices that slowly recharge the battery and then you start your car normally using your own battery. They can take over 30 minutes to charge and rely on the battery being able to hold enough charge to start the engine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,629 ✭✭✭corks finest

It's like jump starting your car with jump cables connecting your car to another car. With this gadget you don't need the other car. You can jump start yourself.
    Imagine jumping yourself,,,,,new one

• Registered Users Posts: 22,004 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Higher power as in higher max amps? 400A is supposed to be sufficient for a 2.5l petrol car according to the specs

I'll be using it for 20 year old car with a 2.5l flat 6 engine and for a 32 year old car with a 2.6l straight 6 engine, both only occasionally driven and both with a battery that is far from brand new / perfect. If it ain't up to scratch, it'll go back. I reckon it will be ok, but I expect to charge it up fully after each successful jumpstart

What car / engine are you planning to use it for?

If buying, I would get something like an earlier one you linked but cheaper if possible :).
    Found it on Amazon UK as well. £59.99 for the 800A / 15Ah one with free shipping and that unbeatable Amazon warranty. Very tempted to pull the trigger

Linky

I like the idea of more power in reserve.

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
    I like the idea of more power in reserve.

Yeah so do I. But I don't like the idea of spending £60 when £20 will do the job just as well. If my yoke isn't up to scratch, it will go back to Amazon for a full refund and I'll buy the heavy duty one.

Battery jumper thing comes with red and black clips (like one end of jump leads).
    • Open your bonnet, hook the red to the + terminal of your battery, and the black one to the - bit.
    • Turn the battery pack on (there may be an indicator light to say it's connected right).
    • Start your car! Leave the engine running and just disconnect the starer thing.

Might be worthwhile checking you car to see where the battery is, an if you can access both terminals (+ and -).

My missis drives a Citroen and for her the battery might as well be in Narnia as trying to access it. I can just about get to the positive terminal, and apparently there's points in the engine bay that work as negative terminals. Messy, but as long as you know in advance you can be prepared.

Dades wrote: »
    Open your bonnet, hook the red to the + terminal of your battery, and the black one to the - bit.

That will work, but is not good practice. Connecting the black one to the - bit on the battery can cause a flammable gas leak (hydrogen) :eek:

You need to connect the black one to any metal preferably unpainted chassis point of the car

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

That will work, but is not good practice. Connecting the black one to the - bit on the battery can cause a flammable gas leak (hydrogen) :eek:

You need to connect the black one to any metal preferably unpainted chassis point of the car

It doesn't cause a leak, you just do that to move the spark away from the battery in case there already is a leak.

I'll probably get the 15Ah one from Amazon for £60

I'm presuming if you left this in the car over the winter you'd want to insulate it or would the case suffice

I'm fitting a new car battery so will keep the old one topped up as a backup for the winter as well

I think I'd sooner have a spare battery ready at the house than a power pack

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭ozmo

No use though if you get a flat battery after leaving car at airport for a couple weeks (which happened to me this year)

Having said that - the guys at the Airport had a free battery charging service going - so that was handy...

“Roll it back”

Yep always good to have a spare around
    ozmo wrote: »
    No use though if you get a flat battery after leaving car at airport for a couple weeks (which happened to me this year)

When the battery of one of my cars was going a bit dodgy, I kept a spare battery and jump leads in the boot :D

• Advertisement

I was unaware of this!

"Now for the black one..."

preview.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,629 ✭✭✭corks finest

Battery jumper thing comes with red and black clips (like one end of jump leads).
    • Open your bonnet, hook the red to the + terminal of your battery, and the black one to the - bit.
    • Turn the battery pack on (there may be an indicator light to say it's connected right).
    • Start your car! Leave the engine running and just disconnect the starer thing.

Might be worthwhile checking you car to see where the battery is, an if you can access both terminals (+ and -).

My missis drives a Citroen and for her the battery might as well be in Narnia as trying to access it. I can just about get to the positive terminal, and apparently there's points in the engine bay that work as negative terminals. Messy, but as long as you know in advance you can be prepared.
    Wish I could send my ex back to Narnia,and I'd padlock the shagging wardrobe

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Wouldn't mind picking up one of these to throw in the boot and forget about as peace of mind, but wonder how they take to being left for months if not more on end without any use.

Aliexpress is also full of them but for warranty Amazon is probably the best bet, although I've yet to see a specific model that's "the one" to have

5500 wrote: »
    Wouldn't mind picking up one of these to throw in the boot and forget about as peace of mind, but wonder how they take to being left for months if not more on end without any use.

Aliexpress is also full of them but for warranty Amazon is probably the best bet, although I've yet to see a specific model that's "the one" to have

I'd be protecting it from the cold anyhow

What's the best way to maintain these batteries?
    Just keep them charged I assume

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

5500 wrote: »

I'd be protecting it from the cold anyhow

What's the best way to maintain these batteries?
    Just keep them charged I assume
    Lithium ion is supposed to be stored cool at 41% charge but thats not much use as a power pack.

Lithium ion is supposed to be stored cool at 41% charge but thats not much use as a power pack.

Last time I checked li-ion was supposed to be stored at 75% charge,I could be wrong on that

What about these li-po?

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

Last time I checked li-ion was supposed to be stored at 75% charge,I could be wrong on that

What about these li-po?

Which one is supposed to have li-po cells? Li-po is theoretically supposed to be stored at 3.8v which is a little over 50%.

All that being said there is no science to the longevity of noname chinese cells especially when connected to unknown charging and balancing (if any) circuitry.

Hard to beat NiMh for longevity and abuse, there was a 12 year old nimh starter pack at the auld lads work that was still able to start the Hyster container handlers on the docks - the had a 6 cylinder 6.7l cummins engine. When if finally packed in they just replaced the cells.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭unreg999

I got this one from Amazon a few months ago- FLOUOREN 500A 18,000mAh Car... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B072TWZZ4S?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf
    It is BRILLIANT!!
    No compressor but I brought it to the Picnic and it kept 2 phones charged every day for 5 days.
    Used it to jump a 1.6l petrol car that was dead & it only went down 3%... my partner was VERY sceptical but couldn't believe it when it worked!
    Loads of gadgets & attachments, can use it to charge laptop too- 12, 16 or 29v and even had a cigarette lighter socket as well as a zip case to keep everything together!
    Total piece of mind :)

How do you charge a laptop with it? Just curious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Kat1170

How do you charge a laptop with it? Just curious.

Says it comes with these ……
    1x Laptop Adapter Cable
    1x 8-in-1 Laptop Adapter Connector

Advertisement