Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hosepipe ban has been lifted!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

The interior of my car is spotless, the exterior looks like Indiana Jones borrowed it for the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Just in time to fill the kiddy pools off Lidl for this "Indian Summer" ! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Be interesting to see if anyone gets fined for using their hose pipes during the ban. It would be a serious breach of Data Protection and households could easily sue.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

you can't beat a hoe's pipe

• Registered Users Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Be interesting to see if anyone gets fined for using their hose pipes during the ban. It would be a serious breach of Data Protection and households could easily sue.

LOL, litigious Ireland. Fine me for wasting precious water in a drought? I'll sue you a55!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

How so Father?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

I washed the exterior of a car once in my entire life. And that was because I had just driven from Galway to Dublin and the car was covered in dead insects. My mother, who was terminally ill at the time, saw the state of it and threatened to wash it herself if I didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,777 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

No need for water charges so.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Don't look at it as a fine - paying just €125 for unlimited use probably not too bad tbh ... ;)

How so Father?

I should have clarified, if information was passed on to IW that someone was using their hose pipe in private(eg back garden), IW would be in breach of Data Protection for accepting this information. They shouldn’t even solicit it. Someone takes a photo of you and sends it to IW and they contact you? Happy days, you’re in the money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

I should have clarified, if information was passed on to IW that someone was using their hose pipe in private(eg back garden), IW would be in breach of Data Protection for accepting this information. They shouldn’t even solicit it. Someone takes a photo of you and sends it to IW and they contact you? Happy days, you’re in the money.

Well if I'd known that I'd have got someone to take a picture of myself watering the moss on the roof and sent it in instead of waiting until night to do everything!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,467 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I presume this is also the case for the TV license, and that the courts are inundated with lawsuits from people who had their privacy invaded by an inspector. I'm sure you have those case details to hand in making such a concrete statement advising people on a public forum.

astrofool wrote: »
    I presume this is also the case for the TV license, and that the courts are inundated with lawsuits from people who had their privacy invaded by an inspector. I'm sure you have those case details to hand in making such a concrete statement advising people on a public forum.

That’s the reason why the An Post TV Inspectors can’t take someone’s name off a letter, Data Protection. They’re not supposed to take it off the Electoral Roll either, I’d imagine we’ll see a few cases around this now that GDPR has come in.

astrofool wrote: »

I assume you presume wrong. TV licence have inspectors that can "find out for themselves", they definitely don't accept info from that knob next door to you who was woken up last night when you dropped a plate, no siree :o

IW doesn't really have that on the same level. If they were open to information from ordinary joe-soaps it could be interesting indeed.

• Site Banned Posts: 386 ✭✭Jimmy.

Have a massive horn for gdpr father.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭nim1bdeh38l2cw

Nonsense.

Watering can has been stood down until further notice, now to top up the lake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

What now?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

gozunda wrote: »
    The hosepipe ban in 16 counties has been lifted after the significant rain last month filled reservoirs to normal levels.

https://www.buzz.ie/amp/news/hosepipe-ban-lifted-every-county-300880

Woo-hoo!

I wonder what reservoirs they were looking into, I drove by Blessington this morning and I have never seen the lake so low.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Eh?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

That’s the reason why the An Post TV Inspectors can’t take someone’s name off a letter, Data Protection. They’re not supposed to take it off the Electoral Roll either, I’d imagine we’ll see a few cases around this now that GDPR has come in.

Christ, this is the type of baloney that some eejits will actually believe

• Registered Users Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Odelay

Lol, how do you make that up? Comedy gold.

CeilingFly wrote: »

Just shut up and take the picture, I'm slipping..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

giphy.gif

CeilingFly wrote: »

Educate yourself :
    It is an offence under Section 13A(3) of the Electoral Act, 1992 (as amended by the Electoral (Amendment) Act, 2001) to use information on the Full Register for non-electoral or non-statutory purposes. Data controllers may only process the details of those persons published on the Edited Register for purposes other than an electoral or other statutory purpose.

Source: https://www.dataprotection.ie/docs/Guidance-Note-for-Data-Controllers-on-Keeping-Personal-Data-Obtained-From-the-Electoral-Register-Up-to-date/872.htm

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Clareman wrote: »
    Ahhh Father, it's small not far away.........................

Section 2(1)(c)(ii) of the Data Protection Acts 1988 and 2003

It’s law! 😉

Section 2(1)(c)(ii) of the Data Protection Acts 1988 and 2003

It’s law! ��

Ahhh but it's not, first off if you're going to quote the Data Protection Acts you might as well quote the 2018 one.

Under legislation data can only be processed if 1 or more of the following conditions are met
    Personal data shall be:
    processed lawfully, fairly and in a transparent manner in relation to the data subject (‘lawfulness, fairness and transparency’);
    collected for specified, explicit and legitimate purposes and not further processed in a manner that is incompatible with those purposes; further processing for archiving purposes in the public interest, scientific or historical research purposes or statistical purposes shall, in accordance with Article 89(1), not be considered to be incompatible with the initial purposes (‘purpose limitation’);
    adequate, relevant and limited to what is necessary in relation to the purposes for which they are processed (‘data minimisation’);
    accurate and, where necessary, kept up to date; every reasonable step must be taken to ensure that personal data that are inaccurate, having regard to the purposes for which they are processed, are erased or rectified without delay (‘accuracy’);
    kept in a form which permits identification of data subjects for no longer than is necessary for the purposes for which the personal data are processed; personal data may be stored for longer periods insofar as the personal data will be processed solely for archiving purposes in the public interest, scientific or historical research purposes or statistical purposes in accordance with Article 89(1) subject to implementation of the appropriate technical and organisational measures required by this Regulation in order to safeguard the rights and freedoms of the data subject (‘storage limitation’);
    processed in a manner that ensures appropriate security of the personal data, including protection against unauthorised or unlawful processing and against accidental loss, destruction or damage, using appropriate technical or organisational measures (‘integrity and confidentiality’).

In the case of prosecuting someone for breaking a "law" they could argue that they are using the following conditions

collected for specified, explicit and legitimate purposes and not further processed in a manner that is incompatible with those purposes
    adequate, relevant and limited to what is necessary in relation to the purposes for which they are processed

Data processing will be lawful if
    Processing shall be lawful only if and to the extent that at least one of the following applies:
    the data subject has given consent to the processing of his or her personal data for one or more specific purposes;
    processing is necessary for the performance of a contract to which the data subject is party or in order to take steps at the request of the data subject prior to entering into a contract;
    processing is necessary for compliance with a legal obligation to which the controller is subject;
    processing is necessary in order to protect the vital interests of the data subject or of another natural person;
    processing is necessary for the performance of a task carried out in the public interest or in the exercise of official authority vested in the controller;
    processing is necessary for the purposes of the legitimate interests pursued by the controller or by a third party, except where such interests are overridden by the interests or fundamental rights and freedoms of the data subject which require protection of personal data, in particular where the data subject is a child.
    Consent is only 1 of the conditions, for fining someone for flaunting the hosepipe ban the following conditions could be argued
    processing is necessary for the performance of a contract to which the data subject is party or in order to take steps at the request of the data subject prior to entering into a contract;
    Irish Water have been given the remit to supply water, this would be the contract.
    processing is necessary for compliance with a legal obligation to which the controller is subject;
    Legal obligation would be the hosepipe ban
    processing is necessary in order to protect the vital interests of the data subject or of another natural person
    Supplying water is a vital interest
    processing is necessary for the performance of a task carried out in the public interest or in the exercise of official authority vested in the controller
    Supplying water is in the public interest
    processing is necessary for the purposes of the legitimate interests pursued by the controller or by a third party, except where such interests are overridden by the interests or fundamental rights and freedoms of the data subject which require protection of personal data, in particular where the data subject is a child.
    Waste of water would be in the legitimate interest of Irish Water.

GDPR is to protect your data, not to allow you get away with being a d1ck

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

It’s law! 😉

It is indeed!
    Have a look at Section 55 of the 2018 Data Protection Act...

Advertisement