Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to start??

Options
  • 24-09-2018 6:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭

I’m hoping to get some advice on here, I have always want to try mountain biking but like everything there was something else that would crop up. Also great idea for a forum.
    I would like to give it a try now but know nothing about it. So my questions are
    Where are there good trails for a beginner(I live in the midlands)?
    Is it something that is enjoyable even on your own?
    Is it really the type of sport that can be taken up when your on the wrong side of thirty, as I imagine it can be tough on the body?
    Do you need to be fit (my fitness wouldn’t be great)?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

I'm older and only got into it myself as an alternative to running, best thing you could do is pick up a hard tail and helmet off adverts or donedeal, and head for where ever the nearest coilte forest is, check out GMBN on youtube its a great channel for starting out, great tips. You could also see if theres a club in the midlands that do an intro spin but bear in mind they do require you to be reasonably fit for that too, so get some practice in one your own, its great and I love going out on my own for a head space spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 goreyhead

Hi
    I took up mountain biking and road biking to at the wrong side of 40, so Your the right side of 40 it be no bother to you,fitness like any type of sport comes with time , just get out and enjoy and the fitness get better as you go , sorry I in Dublin and Wexford so don’t know trails in the mid lands but ask local bike shop or join local club and they see you right

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

JJJJNR wrote: »
    Icheck out GMBN on youtube its a great channel for starting out, great tips.

Coincidentally I spent a good portion of my lunch hour falling into the YouTube abyss of their channel after initially looking up one video.

OP, re the age thing, 30s is a young age! And it's only hard on your body if you fall!

p.s. also live by Murphys law i.e. consider that anything that can go wrong will, and at the worst possible time. ! so bring
      Charged mobile phone and backup battery pack charger Spare tubes if your bike isn't setup tubeless bring them anyway first aid kit plenty of food and water (think survival mode) water proof jacket (even if its not supposed to rain) tyre levers puncture repair kit spare light Also if your out on your own, let someone know where your going and what time to expect you back.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

Good advice to get a 2nd hand hardtail, lid, some pads and give it a go. Can't help much with midlands trails.

For me anyway, it's thoroughly enjoyable on my own. Lot easier though to get out on your own in summer. In winter, usually find that others going for a spin is much needed motivation when it's minging outside!

I think you could take it up at any age. Most of the official trails are really geared towards beginners so you can take them easy when you're beginning - and at your own pace until you get more comfortable on the bike.

Fitness definitely helps! Will probably hurt a bit at the start but it gets easier. Hopefully whatever bike you get has decent XC level gearing to help up the hills at first.

I'm sure if you had any bikes in mind and stuck ideas up here, you'd get some decent responses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭irishkopite 2011

Thanks for all the advice. Seems like the closest trail to me is the bike park in Tipperary, might give it ago soon

• Registered Users Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Thanks for all the advice. Seems like the closest trail to me is the bike park in Tipperary, might give it ago soon

First things first, don't go near bike park Ireland , it's an advanced park, even though they do cater for beginners with a green trail, you ll be bored very quickly by it, and maybe put off by the advanced nature of the place, even though it's an amazing place. Secondly, don't buy a damn thing, make your way to somewhere like ballyhoura, rent a hardtail, and check out the activity for yourself, it ll cost far less than buying a few bits and bobs, and you won't have spent too much if you find its just not for you, lads love advising lads to spend money off the bat, it's ridiculous! I ll post some links in a bit that might help. Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 28 burrows

I would second that advice about renting to start with.

However, if you find yourself enjoying it and doing it regularly, I would continue to rent bikes while your decide what bike you need (don't spend too much too soon) but definitely consider investing in your own helmet, pads etc.

Trail wise it depends on what you're looking for, the bike parks (BPI and GAP) do have trails for cycling up the hill, but they are very much focused on the uplift service (van to carry you up) so your fitness will not really see much gain. If you're looking for the adrenaline side of things this is fine.

However the trail centers offer a mix of climbing and descending so if you're looking for a good long cycle (a few hours) then that is the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

burrows wrote: »
    However, if you find yourself enjoying it and doing it regularly, I would continue to rent bikes while your decide what bike you need (don't spend too much too soon) but definitely consider investing in your own helmet, pads etc.

At around €30 a go though it can add up to a decent bit extra on a new bike if you were to go buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭emeraldmtb

I would agree with the advice to hire a bike to begin with. AndI would add that if you like it after the first go, hire a hardtail one day, then a full suspension bike the next time and get a feel for what suits you. You'll also get a better idea of what type of riding you prefer. All of which will help you decide what style of bike to buy. I've seen more than one rider go out and buy a bike, new or secondhand, only to find out after a few rides it isn't really suited to the type of mountain biking they like to do. i.e. They like the gravity trails but have a cross country bike, and vice versa.

And I would also agree to avoid the bike parks for the time being. Go to places like Ballyhoura or Ticknock as they offer a much more beginner friendly range of trails.

And welcome to mountain biking! Final warning: if the bug bites, it will cost you money :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

I think the general advice of starting small is good advice. Don't go out and spend a load before you know whether you like the sport. You will need a lid and pads though from the get go.

I'm just wondering how many times you'd rent before it becomes a complete waste of money - 3 / 4 times tops?

For a couple of hundred quid you can get a working hardtail, like a Cube. I'm not suggesting a big commitment. If you can afford a few hundred quid, and are serious about getting into this - then just buy a bike. Doesn't matter if it's not great, or if in 6 months you realise it's not for you - you can always sell it on. You'll learn a lot more by buying and having your own bike than by renting.

I'd say stick with hardtails at the start - not because of the traditional advice, but because they are cheaper, and less to figure out when you're beginning. Chances are that a beginner would be on Coillte trails for a while so no need for a full suss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

When I started I bought a second hand bike on adverts for €500 and booked a 2 hour intro course in Ballinastoe.

I bought a bike as I figured I could just sell it on if I didn't take to the sport and wouldn't lose any money. Otherwise I could spend €100+ renting before buying.

The intro course was a great help. Taught me some of the basic principles like body position and braking, and got me confident on the coillte trails right from the get go.

Really appreciate all the advice so far. I would definitely be renting to start with but would buy after a while if I was enjoying and getting to go often.
    It looks like my first trip will be to Derroura in Galway, anyone every been to it?

renting is a good idea if your looking at buying a full suss and putting serious money into it, it gets stupid expensive quickly, my first dip into it cost 200 euro which included, lights, camel pac, helmet, spare tubes, pump + shock pump.tyre repair kit and a decent bike (giant talon) from someone on donedeal. If you cycled a bmx bike as a kid you know what to expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭ec18

Really appreciate all the advice so far. I would definitely be renting to start with but would buy after a while if I was enjoying and getting to go often.
    It looks like my first trip will be to Derroura in Galway, anyone every been to it?

Been there earlier this year....It's a great trail run, the long loop climb is a bit of a slog up to the top but view from the top is worth it, nice sport for lunch.

When I started I used the bike to work scheme to get nearly everything I needed. (bike, pads, helmet, camelbak), can use that too if you it's offered by your emploer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

OP, if this is of any use to you, I started into it last year on the wrong side of 40 and very unfit. I started off after a mate of mine bought a hardtail. I started off renting bikes in Ballyhoura's a few times and I thought the Green Loop twice (12km) would kill me. After trying the Brown loop (and nearly dying - it took 3 hours!) I bit the bullet and bought a Trek Hardtail and just did all the types of terrain I could find, Coillte Single track in the Ballyhoura's, XC mix of trails, fireroad & bogs (a bit of hike the bike).

After a while, I realized I prefer the XC stuff rather than single-track and I'm happy just exploring old paths/trails with a map and GPS rather than tearing down a Single-track.

For fitness, that just comes with seat time. For example, over the weekend I did 38km of a mix of fireroad and trails, with 600m climbing and I didn't kill myself. This time last year, if you said that I'd do that on a Sunday Lunchtime Spin I'd say you were daft!

As you are in the Midland's, one possibility for keeping up the fitness over the workday evenings during winter is on the Athlone to Mullingar cycle path or on the canal towpaths. Yes it's not really MTB terrain, but it keeps you moving...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

I’m hoping to get some advice on here, I have always want to try mountain biking but like everything there was something else that would crop up. Also great idea for a forum.
    I would like to give it a try now but know nothing about it. So my questions are
    Is it really the type of sport that can be taken up when your on the wrong side of thirty, as I imagine it can be tough on the body?

Thanks in advance

What part of the Midlands are you in? There is a new trail centre opening in Offaly near Kinnitty Castle before the end of the year. There will be be a 35km loop built in phase 1. There are some very low-tech Coillte trails in Portumna forest Park also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭ec18

xxyyzz wrote: »
    What part of the Midlands are you in? There is a new trail centre opening in Offaly near Kinnitty Castle before the end of the year. There will be be a 35km loop built in phase 1. There are some very low-tech Coillte trails in Portumna forest Park also.

Is there a website or FB page for the offaly one? or is it part of the slievebloom one?

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭booooonzo

don't go to Derroura for your first trip! it will put you off mountain biking!

BPI or Gap, get the uplifts and enjoy the day cruising the greens and blues and getting used of your bike. only job

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Best for beginners would be the coilte trail centres, i.e. Ticknock in Dublin, Balinastoe in Wicklow, and Ballyhoura in Limerick. They all also offer bike rental, and possibly beginner lessons too.
    Most definitely yes, although IMO it's even more enjoyable as part of a group. It's nice to have someone to talk to on the climbs.
    Do you plan on being a world champion? If so, then yes you're probably too late. Otherwise, absolutely not! You'll find plenty of extremely quick guys racing well in their 50s.
    Not necessarily. You'll find that it's much better fun after you build up a bit of fitness; climbing hills can be hard and may seem like it's not worth it if you're very unfit, but stick with it! Mountain Biking is a great way to build your fitness, and if you manage to get out regularly you'll find it gets easier each time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

ec18 wrote: »
    Is there a website or FB page for the offaly one? or is it part of the slievebloom one?

It's the slieve bloom one. No official website.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Op, it might be worth also looking into joining a club.

It's not for everyone, but it's a very good way of finding out about kit, skills, and really getting a flying start into the sport, and will also help with places to ride, meeting new people, and saves you heading out on your own.

No idea where in the midlands you are, but this directory may help, you can contact a few clubs and see if they have a MTB group.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1J6MruV4-W-sZyQ757zj-hOOVfbw&ll=53.32063283184573%2C-7.5293854142972805&z=9

xxyyzz wrote: »
    I live in Athlone so the Kinnitty one will be the closest to me when it opens. I have looked up about the Portumna park but there doesn’t seem to be any mountain bike rental, they just seem to rent normal (non suspension) bikes.

booooonzo wrote: »
    don't go to Derroura for your first trip! it will put you off mountain biking!

BPI or Gap, get the uplifts and enjoy the day cruising the greens and blues and getting used of your bike. only job
    Is it the cycle to the top that is the off putting part or just the trails themselves?

Is it the cycle to the top that is the off putting part or just the trails themselves?

I'd second the opinions of avoiding places such as bike park Ireland and gap while starting out, and just stick to coillte run parks for a while. Places such as bike park etc are advanced parks, and may actually put you off.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    I'd second the opinions of avoiding places such as bike park Ireland and gap while starting out, and just stick to coillte run parks for a while. Places such as bike park etc are advanced parks, and may actually put you off.

Can't speak for BPI, but the GAP will be fine unless you are literally getting on a bicycle for the first time or have never ventured off-road before. Whilst the "easiest" trail is a blue and there are no green trails, the blues have next to nothing on them that would trip you up. I brought my other half just after the gap had opened and it was her first time on a mountain bike in over ten years having done not much more than fire-trail roads in the past and she was fine. Slow and a bit hesitant, but fine. She's since been back with her own bike and quite content to hit the red trails.

There are two blue trails at the gap, and a couple of the reds might be passable depending on how quickly you pick up on handling a bike and how confident you are. The reds with step-downs/jumps less so, such as Witches Cauldron & Sacred Stones, but again it's horses for courses.

On the other hand, the risk in going to a bike park is that you'll try a red or a black, or a particular feature therein that might otherwise be avoidable with an optional line, because everyone else is doing it when you shouldn't (yet). So something to bear in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭booooonzo

Wanderer78 wrote: »

I disagree with this, bike parks are designed to cater for total novices.

I brought my girlfriend to BPI and she loved it.

Gap is similar. they are graded trails and built right. Coillte trails, not so much.

Anyway, you'll have a blast on either or both. Don't worry about it too much, it's addictive!

booooonzo wrote:
    I disagree with this, bike parks are designed to cater for total novices.

This is subjective but if you take into account a person that potentially could be nervous on a bike, I'd still always send people towards cross country first, just so they get the feel of the activity, you never know how they're gonna react, and the last thing you wanna do is exasperate that fear, I.e. it may in fact aid encouragement into the activity, both bike park and the gap are great facilities though, it's great to have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,167 ✭✭✭prunudo

Another plus for the bike parks is that they have the uplift service. So somebody who is put off trying mountain biking because of their fitness level can still try it out and see if they enjoy it without being disheartened by thr climbs.

• Advertisement

So I managed to get out over the weekend in Derroura, Galway. I found the start quite tough but settled into it after a while. There was only one red mountain bike trail for almost all of it(16km), towards the end it linked in with a green trail. Overall I really enjoyed it and thankfully no falls.
    The bike I rented was a hardtail.
    I’m hoping to get going to ballyhoura in limerick in the next couple of weeks.

Advertisement