Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apostle - netflix

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,368 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Trailer for those like myself that don't want to go anywhere those Joe sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,358 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

He's been very quite the past 4 years.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I'm looking forward to Apostle, it will be interesting to see what Evans does with a different setting and a lack of silat focus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

I watched this yesterday and liked it a lot. It's far from perfect and a bit too long but also very effective in setting everything up for the mad last 30 minutes. Some fantastic gory moments in it too.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I posted about it in the main Netflix recs thread:
    Fysh wrote: »
    I watched the new Gareth Evans film, Apostle, last night and it was pretty good. Tense, foreboding and gloomy, good casting and a solid script. It shares themes and aspects with a few films like
    Silent Hill, The Wicker Man, The Witch and Byzantium
    , but without feeling like it's just ripping off those films.

It probably could be a bit shorter, but it doesn't feel self-indulgently long IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Not a terrible film overall but an incredibly disappointing one. The opening half hour is a terrific piece of film-making and nicely sets the scene for a haunting, dread-filled descent into the unknown....but it just never materializes and it ends up being an entirely forgettable affair.

People say the pacing is slow but I don't agree with that, I found the pacing fine, but there's just very little conviction to it....the plot in a broad sense is fine, but it's just executed poorly.

Terrific turn from Dan Stevens though and it's still a decent watch (with plenty for the gorehounds), just falls completely short of what the film itself actually promises and is a classic 'film of two halves'.

Reminded me a bit of that film 'Dagon' from about 15-20 years ago? Not a perfect film either but the eerie, insular and isolated feel of the rain-lashed coastal village in that was something the first half hour of Apostle reminded me of.

In closing - Apostle, a tragically missed opportunity that amounts to an OK watch in spite of it....but I'll probably always associate it with the former rather than the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭El Duda

Apostle – 6.5/10

The first hour was needlessly convoluted and it lacked the precision of Gareth Evan’s previous ‘Raid’ films. The Raid was a very basic, stripped back action film with frenetic pacing and no time for filler. Apostle would’ve benefited from a shorter running time and a bit more background for the characters.

I liked how the first hour was shrouded in mystery but then the final act is full of revelations. I’m not so sure that some of the more fantastical elements worked but the dramatic scenes between the lead characters were tense and gripping. 

It is an ambitious departure from his previous works and visually one of the best 4K Netflix films I’ve seen.

I agree with TerrorFirmer that it was very forgettable though, which is a shame.

I rewatched The Raid again last night and they has no fat at all. It is lean and mean. So so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭p to the e

This is one of those few films where I thought a series would have suited this better. I thought the film could have worked well without the supernatural element to it but could have been built up better if it had time to develop in a series. It seems like there was enough characters and plot twists to warrant one.

For example it could have gone into more detail about the Islands problems with the King or a bit more history of the brothers. I couldn't tell if Michael Sheen's character was meant to be an evil person or a genuinely conflicted person who would do anything to have this community survive. So many questions.

Advertisement