Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations 2.0 *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

DpJjUl7WwAENr-q.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 43,835 ✭✭✭✭Basq

** cringe **

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Not sure if it has been discussed here but reading good things about "The haunting of Hill House" which releases on Friday alongside "Apostle". Not sure how I'll get through both of them before s2 of making a murderer.

What a time to be alive.

And on top of those i still have to watch July 22

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Trent Houseboat

I just bought The Haunting of Hill House for my traditional October scary book read.
    Look forward to comparing the two, only problem is that I'll have to wait for the Lady Houseboat to go to bed before I can watch any scary TV or movies, so it might be Christmas by the time I finish it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,255 ✭✭✭facehugger99

peteeeed wrote: »

ronaldo (2015)
    A portrait of famed Portuguese soccer hero Cristiano Ronaldo charts his career and personal life, offering a glimpse of how he handles stardom

added today

Well, that's certainly, erm, topical?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,173 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Finished Maniac last night. Great show.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

Friday Night Dinner has been alright in the background when on boards. Not outright funny like the Inbetweeners and is getting very samey in the 2nd season, hard to tell when an episode has ended.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

lol just seen prison break is on netflix, some good tv for first two seasons before they made muck of it, someone might find it interesting just noticed it now. a bit fed up with low quality stuff on netflix so much budged indie crap, did like queen of the south just to find on torrents that there was 3rd full season out while on netflix here they only showed 2 :/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,086 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

scamalert wrote: »
    lol just seen prison break is on netflix, some good tv for first two seasons before they made muck of it, someone might find it interesting just noticed it now. a bit fed up with low quality stuff on netflix so much budged indie crap, did like queen of the south just to find on torrents that there was 3rd full season out while on netflix here they only showed 2 :/

Prison break Season and 2 are excellent ,after that I thought it was hard watch.I always thought a Teabag show should have been produced,hes a great character.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,212 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

22 July isn't much to write home about. For the first hour or so, it's business as usual for a Greengrass docudrama - a handful of parallel stories unfolding during a real-life violent event. It's very similar to Bloody Sunday in particular. It does its job.

The limits of the hyper-grounded docudrama approach become clearer in the rest of the film. As it follows Breivik's trial and a victim's recovery (plus, switching back to the Norwegian PM so infrequently one has to wonder why they bothered) there's not much to learn beyond what most people will have read in newspaper reports. The efforts to explore and rip apart Breivik's toxic ideology don't really go anywhere. It's a long film that takes 2 hours and 20 minutes to not say much at all, TBH.

Will be interesting to contrast with the soon-to-be-released U–July 22 (or whatever final name they've settled on), which by all accounts is a more ambitious film.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,546 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

soap1978 wrote: »
    Just watch both seasons of Norsemen,very good

I was hoping it was like Vikings. It wasn't. Stopped watching before first episode finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    I was hoping it was like Vikings. It wasn't. Stopped watching before first episode finished.

It's a comedy..... maybe hit imdb before you try chug a series :)

riverdale season 3

salt fat acid heat season 1
    Chef and food writer Samin Nosrat travels the world to explore four basic keys to wonderful cooking, serving up feasts and helpful tips along the way.

saw:the final chapter (but is it really ???)

added today

THE HAUNTING OF HILL HOUSE : SEASON 1 getting good reviews

https://www.metacritic.com/tv/the-haunting-of-hill-house

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,546 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

nix wrote: »

As I said, I was hoping it was like Vikings, it wasn't.

But I do like a comedy :)

But I didn't like this comedy, at all.

So, on that basis, I'll ' chug the series' ;)

Apostle
    In 1905, a drifter on a dangerous mission to rescue his kidnapped sister tangles with a sinister religious cult on an isolated island.
    Getting some really good reviews
    https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/oct/10/apostle-review-gareth-evans-exhilarating-netflix-horror-is-a-wild-gory-surprise

and a 1 out of 5 in the english times

Black Heart
    Blaming a crooked media mogul for the death of his journalist sister, a surgeon enlists the help of a beautiful psychologist to get revenge.

The Boss Baby: Back in Business season 2
    The Boss Baby brings his big brother Tim to the office to teach him the art of business in this animated series sprung from the hit film.

The Curious Creations of Christine McConnell season 1
    Share: Wickedly talented baker and artist Christine McConnell fills her home with haunting confections, creepy crafts -- and wildly inappropriate creatures.

Edgar Rice Burroughs' Tarzan and Jane season 1&2
    Saved from a plane crash and given supernatural powers, teen Tarzan joins forces with brave city girl Jane to protect his jungle home from threats.

Errementari: The Blacksmith and the Devil
    A brutal blacksmith tortures a demon he blames for his misery, unaware a trespassing orphan is about to change everything. Based on Basque folklore.

Feminists: What Were They Thinking? o
    Revisiting 1970s photos of women that captured a feminist awakening, this film explores those women's lives and examines the continued need for change.

FIGHTWORLD
    Actor and fight enthusiast Frank Grillo travels the world, immersing himself in different fight cultures to understand their traditions and motivations.

The Haunting of Hill House season 1
    Flashing between past and present, a fractured family confronts haunting memories of their old home and the terrifying events that drove them from it.

Kuntilanak
    Five youngsters discover that an antique mirror found in their orphanage is home to an evil ghost who kidnaps children and imprisons them inside it.

ReMastered: Who Shot the Sheriff season 1 episode 1
    In 1976, reggae icon Bob Marley survived an assassination attempt as rival political groups battled in Jamaica. But who exactly was responsible?

added today

• Registered Users Posts: 33,200 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

nix wrote: »

True, but it wasn't really funny. That said, I've only seen one episode so will give it more time.

Scandinavians have a very "specific" sense of humour...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭cml387

Did anyone watch S3 E1 of Inside No 9 "The Devil Of Christmas"?

I'm sure that Pemberton and Shearsmith had in mind "Tales Of The Unexpected" when they made it.

It starts with a few seconds of non-broadcast cue with timeclock as was done for network control in the 80's. Then opens in 4:3 format with what is made up to be an old television series like "Tales".

We are in a very fakey looking Austrian ski lodge as the characters enter, with candles burning.

The attention to detail is brilliant. The candle light smears across the screen as happens with the older colour cameras of the time. At one stage a camera hood can just be seen in shot.There is also a bit of a shadow a microphone boom.

A few minutes in there is a voiceover and it becomes apparent we are watching a recording of the programme with a director (Derek Jacobi) and another person commenting on what we are seeing. The director points out where there are missed marks and continuity errors.

Thereafter the tale follows the usual "Tales of the unexpected" story. Now we expect the twist at the end, except there is another twist we weren't expecting.

I don't think it's the best of the series, but for a television geek it is highly enjoyable to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

True, but it wasn't really funny. That said, I've only seen one episode so will give it more time.

Scandinavians have a very "specific" sense of humour...

hah yeah, i would say the same about Napoleon dynamite, but i got jumped on for that one :P

• Advertisement

Nocturnal animals added today

Iron fist not getting a 3rd season

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,187 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

peteeeed wrote: »
    Iron fist not getting a 3rd season

It only started to get good on the last 2 or 3 episodes of season 2!

I predict they will give Colleen and Misty their own Daughters of the Dragon show instead.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I watched the new Gareth Evans film, Apostle, last night and it was pretty good. Tense, foreboding and gloomy, good casting and a solid script. It shares themes and aspects with a few films like
    Silent Hill, The Wicker Man, The Witch and Byzantium
    , but without feeling like it's just ripping off those films.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,437 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Mickeroo wrote: »

I predict they will give Colleen and Misty their own Daughters of the Dragon show instead.

If they do make it I doubt it will be on Netflix.

I'd say Disney will take back the rights and maybe then produce it for there own steaming channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,437 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Mickeroo wrote: »

I'd say Disney will take back the rights and maybe then produce it for there own steaming channel or wait till they get all the Netflix rights back and then reboot them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭kerplun k

I'd say Disney will take back the rights and maybe then produce it for there own steaming channel or wait till they get all the Netflix rights back and then reboot them all.

There seems to be a worrying trend of media groups creating some form of original content and then asking people to pay a tenner a month for it. Disney, Amazon, HBO, DC Universe, Hulu, CBS, etc.

While this is great for quality content, it will get ridiculously expensive for anyone who wants to (legally) watch a variety of said content.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,955 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

With the market becoming saturated, it's only a matter of time before there's at least one large casualty. The US only ones are probably propped up a little by international Netflix deals (such as DC or CBS), but hard to see how there won't be someone flopping hard.

Even Facebook and Apple are getting into the game - both of whom feel like good candidates for failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Yeah. It’s already too fragmented and by the looks of things it will only get worse. If anything, it will push consumers towards alternative methods of watching. I think there’s a balancing act there that provider should be wary of. Netflix proves that folks will play nice if the price is right, but as the music industry found out, if you get too greedy it will cost you in the long run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,935 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Watched the first 2 episodes of The haunting of Hill House last night. Brilliant stuff.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement