Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long do you stay in a job for?

Options
  • 23-09-2018 11:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭

I keep moving jobs every three to four years for more money/career progression.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

long enough for a **** and a cup of tea

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

long enough for a **** and a cup of tea

Jack of all trades.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Jack of all trades.

And master (bator) of none.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

How old are you and how many jobs have you had?

Also what salary are you on or, if you don't want to say, what amount do you "jump" for?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I like the idea of moving around jobs a lot, every 2 years or so. I got very bored of the job I had after my degree for just one year, and there was nothing wrong with the job, I just didn't like going there everyday. But maybe its not realistic and Ill just have to buckle down

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 386 ✭✭Jimmy.

What’s it like not to work?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

as an old fella, I've had a lot of Jobs.

longest.... 11 years, then 7 1/2

shortest 2 weeks.

My current job, 3 1/2 yrs and I can honestly say I've not even looked at a jobs website since I started.

it's 14 yrs to retirement, and it's POSSIBLE that this one might see me out......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

This is the type of thing that might have a mathematical formula where the number of years is a function of salary times experience divided by amount of times you've wanted to punch the boss.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

Usually three-ish years. Mainly because moving does tend to be the best way to get a salary increase (in IT at least). But my 20's are over now and my 30's started recently and I've noticed that the more jobs that are on my CV, the more reluctant companies are to hire because they want people who'll stay longer than 2 to 3 years, so I'll probably need to knuckle down now and stick in this one much longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,806 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Keep doing it until you land somewhere where you really like or life circumstances change

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

I’m progressing along nicely in the one I’ve been in for 12 years now. No desire to change, the first day handshakes turn me off

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Family business.

Been here my whole life except for a one year experience sabatical to New Zealand and Holland

Will likely be here my entire life.

Started at the bottom sweeping, stacking trollies, weeding.

Now director alongside brothers under our father.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

I'm only out of university two years but I haven't been able to keep a job for more than 8 months a go.

Temporary contracts and that, I'm on an 11 month at the moment which will take me up to just under three years experience.

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    This is the type of thing that might have a mathematical formula where the number of years is a function of salary times experience divided by amount of times you've wanted to punch the boss.

There are days i want to punch my boss, before i realise it's my dad and that would make things awkward at the birthday dinner later that day.....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

As long as you enjoy it.
    Once you start hating your job, look for something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

Same job since graduating 7+ years ago.

3% increase YOY.

Dont see need to move anywhere. Settled as is.

Kinda feel like I'm making a mistake looking at everybody's posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

wakka12 wrote: »
    I like the idea of moving around jobs a lot, every 2 years or so. I got very bored of the job I had after my degree for just one year, and there was nothing wrong with the job, I just didn't like going there everyday. But maybe its not realistic and Ill just have to buckle down

With the exception of Freelancers and short-term contracts, can't imagine it would look good in your CV with constant job changes. :o

BeerWolf wrote: »
    With the exception of Freelancers and short-term contracts, can't imagine it would look good in your CV with constant job changes. :o

I'd be reluctant to invest in someone who's likely to sod off after a year or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭hairyslug

Longest is 14 years, shortest is 4 months. For my skills, or lack of, I was paid very well in that 1st job, not so much in the 2nd.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

My history;
    5 years
    13 years
    9 months
    8 years (current job)

I’d say I’ll stay where I am for a while as it’s perfect balance of flexibility autonomy and income, doesn’t pay as well as earlier jobs but it’s flexible and that suits my Life right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭Motivator

CruelCoin wrote: »
    Family business.

Been here my whole life except for a one year experience sabatical to New Zealand and Holland

Will likely be here my entire life.

Started at the bottom sweeping, stacking trollies, weeding.

Now director alongside brothers under our father.

You hardly believe that daddy would leave you with a sweeping brush all your life?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

After college
    1y
    7y
    2y
    6y
    Just started new one.

From experience moving was the best way to increase salary or for career progression.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

5 years (apprenticeship)
    11 months
    1 year 6 months
    2 years 1 month
    1 year 7 months
    7 years 3 months
    1 year 1 month
    16 years 5 months

12 years in my present job, retirement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

In the IT sector the average length of time a software developer spends in a role is about 2 years. Straight out of college in Ireland you start on a relatively low base pay (25-30k usually, maybe higher depending on the company), and the best way to move up the pay scale is to change companies.

The name of the game these days is career security, not job security. Of you stay in one company too long, you also risk seeing seeing skills with newer technology stacks start to stagnate.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,761 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Last job and current one both 10 years -ish.
    Sick of office life and bull**** so quitting next month. Had quite enough of zero progression. Current job was reasonably ok, had own office at the start but was turfed out into a new open plan that I was none too happy about. Boss is a corporate bull****-speak loving dickhead.

Typically I'd have said two years or something. I was very bored of my office job in Ireland after that long.

The job I've been doing over the last six or seven years is a bit different as it isn't a full working week, and that's more important than anything else really. Mondays, I only work 9.45am to 12, and on Thursdays I'm done at 12. Other years I've had three-day weekends or a Wednesday or something off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

10 years as a Primary teacher, moved from a permanent job in a school I hated to another permanent job in another school. I now enjoy it it much more again but there is a huge part of me which wants to do something completely new and different. I've a 5 year plan and the wheels are slowly starting to move.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

You could argue that but in my opinion it is far more important for me to leave a job that no longer motivates me. Life is simply too short, I get bored easily and I need to be challenged.

I have worked for quite a few employers in Ireland and abroad. The experience I have gained across many different aspects of the electrical industry has opened a lot of doors of me. What is key is that previous employers feel that I provided them with value for money and I always completed whatever project I have been working on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

I will be hitting my 10-year anniversary soon. I got bored a couple of years ago so I am tackling that by doing a part-time Masters - leaving jobs isn't the only way to cure boredom or upskill. The 10 minute commute to/from work and being able to go home for lunch is too good a gig to resign from. I simply couldn't get that anywhere else. Plus there's a chance I might have a redundancy package coming my way in a year or two. And after 10+ years, I wouldn't want to miss that (although this Masters is probably making me less dispensable so I might be doing myself out of a payoff there)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I lasted 4 days in Dunnes. I'm in my current job 18 months and the previous one was 7-8 years. I really wanted to leave that one and got lucky with a decent redundancy package.

Advertisement