Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have I messed things up?

Options
  • 21-09-2018 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

I feel awful and I’m a massive idiot. I’ve been seeing a guy a like for about 5/6 weeks. We are both late 20s. I went round to his house the other night which started off great but ended terribly as I was in a quiet pensive mood. Reason being it was my mums first anniversary of death this week and I had just been to the hospice where she was to donate money and it triggered memories. He is aware of this and has experience similar loss at the same time. I became so quiet and withdrawn he asked me twice what was wrong and noticed I was very quiet and it was obvious I had something on my mind. I told him I was ok as I didn’t want to discuss but I was cold to him as I was uninterested in “being intimate”. I apologised before we went to sleep and he said we all have those days. I text him last night to apologise once again and explain so he wouldn’t think it was him but he never replied so now I’m worried I have messed things up and pushed him away. So I’m looking for advice and opinions.

I know I’m an idiot so please don’t make me feel worse. Is there any chance if he genuinely liked me and the way things were going, that he wouldn’t just dismiss the past few weeks and walk away over that he’d give me another chance?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

You don't need to apologise again, any normal compassionate person would understand that you were withdrawn on parents anniversary.

He could be giving you space thinking that's what you want, we all grieve differently.

Maybe try talking to him about something else, make plans to meet or whatever, he might we waiting for a signal that you're feeling better.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Banaba

GingerLily wrote: »
    You don't need to apologise again, any normal compassionate person would understand that you were withdrawn on parents anniversary.

He could be giving you space thinking that's what you want, we all grieve differently.

Maybe try talking to him about something else, make plans to meet or whatever, he might we waiting for a signal that you're feeling better.

He didn’t reply to the apology message so I don’t want to text again. I know I was wrong in my behaviour but I have apologied and all I can do now is hope he understands and doesn’t hold it against me

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭never_mind

Banaba wrote: »
    He didn’t reply to the apology message so I don’t want to text again. I know I was wrong in my behaviour but I have apologied and all I can do now is hope he understands and doesn’t hold it against me

Banaba, get a grip, you were NOT being unreasonable or a fool! Stop being so mean to yourself. What you were going through that day is completely understandable and, to be honest, unavoidable. If he has 'seen' the message and hasn't replied then I would take it as a sign and to walk away.

As the above poster suggested, and I would have to agree, contact him again about something non-descript (e.g. meeting up) and take it from there. Stop being so hard on yourself - what you went through was horrendous - be kind to yourself.

never_mind wrote: »
    If he has 'seen' the message and hasn't replied then I would take it as a sign and to walk away

As in a sign for me to say f you your not worth it or a sign he’s not interested and bolted?

He could just be an idiot who doesn't know what to say in situations like this, a lot of people are like that, he probably doesn't realise you're stewing on this and might think you need more time to yourself.

There is only one way to find out, send a light hearted text.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭never_mind

As in a sign for me to say f you your not worth it or a sign he’s not interested and bolted?

A sign that he seems like a bit of a douche and to walk away... but I would send on another text first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭tupenny

Sorry for your loss.
    You deserve better than this guy, some1 with a bit of empathy for a start
    You've done nothing wrong and nothing to apologise for

I feel like an idiot and feel so bad about the way I acted. We were grand the beginning of the night then I just completely zoned out and became so quiet and withdrawn. I’m embarrassed by the way I was now and the fact he didn’t reply to my apology speaks volumes about how he feels.
    I just apologied and explained I went that way because the week was tougher than I had anticipated and the hospice trip didn’t help. I also acknowledged I should have told him and that it wasn’t fair to act so cold to him. I’m just embarrassed and so mad at myself now as I feel I have pushed him away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

I’m just embarrassed and so mad at myself now as I feel I have pushed him away.

If he decided to walk at this point you have had a lucky escape. You have done nothing wrong. Imagine the tables were turned and he was distant as it was his loved one's anniversary.. would you feel pushed away or ignore his text? I hope he just hasn't had a chance to reply to you. You need to be kinder to yourself x

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭loalae

We all have bad days or days when we are quieter than usual. If he can't handle it or accept your apology or explanation then he isn't the one for you.

I think the advice to send him a message about something else and see what happens is a good idea. It could be that he feels awkward about the explanation and is waiting for your next step before he knows how to react.

Please don't feel bad about the feelings your had or the way you acted as it sounds like a completely reasonable reaction to a sad time. You are entitled to feel how you feel. You are allowed to have 'off' days. If he expects you not to then he is the one with the problem. But don't jump to conclusions and give him the benefit of the doubt right now. And be kind to yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Ghekko

Why text, just ring him to see if ye are meeting up this weekend.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

How were you in the wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Porklife

Today is my moms anniversary and I've been in bits since I woke up and she died 15 years ago. I can't believe you feel guilty!! The guy is most likely just giving you some space. Try not to worry. If however he's ignoring you or changed his mind over you being distant in the given circumstances then he can jog the **** on!!!!

I feel I was wrong because this whole thing began because of me and my moodiness. I feel in the wrong as I was cold to him and pushed him away, I didn’t tell him what was wrong just became passive aggressive which is childish but at the time it reflected how I felt. It most likely made him feel uncomfortable and unsure about me, my emotional stability and I guess I suddenly became uninteresting and unattractive.

However while I acknowledge my wrong doing, I feel the reason I feel so bad is because I did not get a reply to my apology. Everyone knows apologies are difficult to say and I did tell him it was due to my mums anniversary and the hospice visit and this week has just been worse than expected. I understand if he lost interest due to my negative sad state that night as no one likes to be around someone who’s miserable, but I feel let down, a little disrespected and like I meant absolutely nothing. Granted at 6 weeks I don’t expect to be number one in his life yet just would have appreciate some acknowledgment.
    Now it appears he has ghosted and while I was beginning to develop feelings for him it’s evident these are not recripocated

Porklife wrote: »
    Today is my moms anniversary and I've been in bits since I woke up and she died 15 years ago. I can't believe you feel guilty!! The guy is most likely just giving you some space. Try not to worry. If however he's ignoring you or changed his mind over you being distant in the given circumstances then he can jog the **** on!!!!
    Sorry to hear pork life. I know it has only been year one for me but it’s just this week following the mass it suddenly feels like it’s more permanent and cemented. It’s devastating and I don’t think anyone truly understands the pain until you experience it. My thoughts are with you

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭yoke

You're thinking far too much into this. Too many possible reasons he didn't reply. Just send him a text asking if he wants to meet up at the weekend. If he doesn't reply to that then you have your answer.

Now it appears he has ghosted and while I was beginning to develop feelings for him it’s evident these are not recripocated

If he's actually ghosting you then you're well rid, he'd be a dispicable person if he was mad at you for what you say happened.

It sounds more like a misunderstanding to me, I think you're not thinking clearly because you're grieving, time will tell I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Give the guy a chance. He mightn't know how to reply to someone apologising for being bereaved.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Telly

McGaggs wrote: »
    Give the guy a chance. He mightn't know how to reply to someone apologising for being bereaved.

This

Drop him a text and see if he fancies doing something over the weekend

GingerLily wrote: »
    If he's actually ghosting you then you're well rid, he'd be a dispicable person if he was mad at you for what you say happened.

It sounds more like a misunderstanding to me, I think you're not thinking clearly because you're grieving, time will tell I suppose

I don’t know it’s been two days and he’s seen the message and has been online numerous times since so

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Ghekko

I still say call him. You'll know by the tone of his voice where he stands as opposed to texting, where you cannot gauge a persons tone/mood. At least you'll know one way or another and won't have to spend any more days fretting over it. You've had a crap enough week as it is so take control of how to move forward - be it with or without him.

I don’t know it’s been two days and he’s seen the message and has been online numerous times since so

What does that have to do with anything?

Ring him or text him, ask him does he want to hang out this weekend, see what he says back

• Registered Users Posts: 13,512 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I think you're completely overthinking this and tying yourself into knots over a guy you've only been seeing for a couple of weeks. I get that you're vulnerable right now but this really is a huge overreaction and it's possible he's picking up on this and taking a bit of space accordingly.

Personally I wouldn't text him again. The ball is in his court and he knows where you are if he wants to get in touch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭SirChenjin

Sorry to hear pork life. I know it has only been year one for me but it’s just this week following the mass it suddenly feels like it’s more permanent and cemented. It’s devastating and I don’t think anyone truly understands the pain until you experience it. My thoughts are with you

It's a very difficult time for you, OP. You have lost your mam at a very young age. Give yourself a chance to grieve. It's okay and very understandable that you felt as you did on your mam's anniversary.

I'm not going to give advice about him.
    I am going to say you need to be much more gentle with yourself.

All the best.

SirChenjin wrote: »
    It's a very difficult time for you, OP. You have lost your mam at a very young age. Give yourself a chance to grieve. It's okay and very understandable that you felt as you did on your mam's anniversary.

I'm not going to give advice about him.
    I am going to say you need to be much more gentle with yourself.

All the best.

Thank you for your kind words. Can I ask why you chose not to give advice about him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Johnnyhpipe

I read that 3 times and can’t see what you did wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

You did nothing "wrong".....but if you arrange to meet someone romantically ,& are in the process of establishing a new relationship, it's simply not fair to stonewall them whilst retreating into your own grief. I've been on the receiving end of this,& you end up thinking "Why aren't they talking to me? Don't they like me? Don't they enjoy my company?". And also- why are they inflicting their (unexplained) bad mood on me, when I was really looking forward to meeting them? :(
    Of course you deserve sympathy & he should be kind to you. But kindness goes both ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

He is aware of this and has experience similar loss at the same time.

OP, is it in any way fair to assume that from your own statement above, he is currently in the middle of the one year anniversary of the death of someone close to him? So he's withdrawn and not responding to you as a result and you're getting worked up and fretting over what could possibly be exactly what you did to him?

As others have said, you did nothing wrong, but I will echo another poster and say it was not exactly fair of you to arrange a date/romantic meeting and then spend half the night in silence and retreating into your own grief. I lost a parent too, very shocking and unexpected at a young age and even before the first anniversary I knew better than to put myself in social situations with people who might not understand.

You've texted him now, leave it at that and if he doesn't respond, move on. You didn't like him pressuring you to talk that night, so if he is dealing with the anniversary of a bereavement right now, do him the courtesy you wish was afforded to you.

So guys still no reply to my message, it’s been three days so I guess I have my answer. I feel bad as I feel like I scared him away but what can be done, lesson learned. Thanks for all the help. I feel let down though that he didn’t give some sort of reply and sort of ghosted me. Is this bad form of him or understandable?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

This probably isn't going to be of any use to you on this occasion but I am strongly of the opinion that texting is the worst form of communication when it comes to complex things like this. It leaves far too much scope for misunderstanding. Picking up the phone and having a conversation is much better than banging off numerous texts .

Advertisement