Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"How would you feel if your country was 'carved up'"?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

A golden moment for Leo. Hands up who thinks he will take it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Vowel Movement

Poor Turkey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Sal Butamol

She really is a fcuking prize idiot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

What am I missing here? Ireland is already carved up so as a point of hypocrisy it doesn't quite work. Mind you Poles might suppress a giggle given how their borders have moved and been redrafted in the last century.

Also if she wants no border checks then she knows what to do - hold a referendum and campaign to reverse the decision to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Theresa is not the fizziest drink in the fridge, that's for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

A woman who is so far out of her depth, It's actually pretty disturbing at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Many of the countries of the EU were carved up by the UK in cahoots with The USSR, USA, and their other allies.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Surely that must be a joke of some sort? Not that I would be surprised. In my experience, the Brits in general are quite clueless about Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

So the partition of Ireland could end up causing the break-up of the UK?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Id feel pretty bad. Still do. A hundred years later, so it runs deep.
    Until Breunion restores the whole of Ireland to the United Kingdom, I will probably continue to feel that way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,132 ✭✭✭screamer

Ireland being carved up again... And the blueshirts in power again...ah sure just give the whole lot back to England....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,852 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Id feel pretty bad. Still do. A hundred years later, so it runs deep.
    Until Breunion restores the whole of Ireland to the United Kingdom, I will probably continue to feel that way.

Dream on Rapey.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Dream on Rapey.

I was secretly pleased that no one had taken the bait for so long.

Old TROL probably choking on his cucumber sangwiches now

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

May is a bloody fool, forever coming out with rubbish. She was jumping up and down over in Robben Island the other day about Nelson Mandela when back in the 80s she was deriding him as a terrorist. She’s absolutely dire. I can’t wait til she gets thrown out on her ear.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

I was secretly pleased that no one had taken the bait for so long.

Old TROL probably choking on his cucumber sangwiches now

I just liked the insult, "Rapey". I might have to commandeer that word.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭jay0109

She said that at the dinner yesterday eve and it was reported on the radio this morning. I'd say it's a fair guess that Leo let that pass and didn't take a golden opportunity to get a prize dig in.
    I'm no fan of Charlie Haughey but I doubt he'd have let the opportunity pass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Willful ignorance.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Ireland would have never entered May's mind when she said that. They don't think about us like we think about them. Ireland is a complete non entity to the average Brit.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Northern Ireland is akin to Gibraltar in the average Brit's eyes i.e. something that they don't think about

And TM is a very average Brit.

What is wrong with what she said? 

She is referring to the idea of Northern Ireland being a separate customs area from the rest of the UK, i.e. effectively the UK being carved up in a way.

I don't think she is including the Republic in this analogy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

She is referring to the idea of Northern Ireland being a separate customs area from the rest of the UK, i.e. effectively the UK being carved up in a way.

True but people in ROI will obviously view the comment in a different light.

That thought would never enter May's head as Ireland doesn't really register with these people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Lots of people still believe this country was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

So the partition of Ireland could end up causing the break-up of the UK?

I think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,480 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I am at a complete loss as to understand how the UK thinks it can leave a customs and trading union.
    Whilst managing to retain tarrif and restriction free access to the customs union all whilst having some sort of magical Border between Eire and N.I!
    Then thinking that they can sort out a trade deal at whilst ignoring the border!
    Perhaps the Brexiteers are hoping for Hogwarts solution?
    The magical border that will only admit Common travel area citizens while making the mudbloods I mean EU citizens queue for Customs?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

well that's rather obvious no?

The kinda thing Prime Minsters of the UK should be expected to know.. it's not like this island's experience with partition has been a peaceful one.

Anyone who doesn't see the problem is either a bit dull or wilfully ignorant.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭daheff

FTA69 wrote: »
    May is a bloody fool, forever coming out with rubbish. She was jumping up and down over in Robben Island the other day about Nelson Mandela when back in the 80s she was deriding him as a terrorist. She’s absolutely dire. I can’t wait til she gets thrown out on her ear.

I foresee it being around 29th March 2019- nobody (not even Boris) is stupid enough to want that job until after Brexit. After Brexit (when **** hits fan) everybody will claim to want to be the country's saviour & lead them into a new Dawn (while backstabbing & blaming theresa may all over the place).

lawred2 wrote: »

well that's rather obvious no?

The kinda thing Prime Minsters of the UK should be expected to know.. it's not like this island's experience with partition has been a peaceful one.

Anyone who doesn't see the problem is either a bit dull or wilfully ignorant.
    Sorry but I must be dull and ignorant. What's wrong with her comment? She is not referring to partition on this island. She is talking about partition between NI and the island of Britain.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭daheff

the irony is unbelievable.

Gibraltar (from Spain)
    Malvinas/Falklands (from Argentina)
    Hong Kong (from China)
    Iraq/Syria/Israel (from Turkish empire after WW1)

just a couple of quick carve ups by the uk (without even thinking too hard about it).

True but people in ROI will obviously view the comment in a different light.

That thought would never enter May's head as Ireland doesn't really register with these people.
    Yes but if people in ROI view the comment in a different light then that is their choice.
    As I read it she is referring to NI being cut off from the rest of the UK in a legal/economic way.
    Why should May care about ROI?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,480 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Sorry but I must be dull and ignorant. What's wrong with her comment? She is not referring to partition on this island. She is talking about partition between NI and the island of Britain.

Asking a group of Nations some of whom were "carved up" as a direct result of British policy over the course of their histories, how'd they'd feel if they were to be carved up?

It shows a distinct lack of cop on and a total lack of awareness of the situation Britain has made for itself.

Advertisement