Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord Fined for Refusing HAP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Donaldboy25

Talking out of your hole, maybe don't believe everything you read on the internet?

Also my bedroom is leaking the last 8 years landlord won't do nothing and brings the rent up 5 to 20 euro every few months ive already been told by my solicitor if I took him to court there's a big chance he would lose flat

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Scienceless

Good one well I live in a flat 8 years I've recorded my landlord walking in to my flat without permission 100s of times so yes bid talking out of my hole :) maybe stop trying to know everything

And your experiences reflect everybody else’s?
    They don’t.

And your experiences reflect everybody else’s?
    They don’t.

As I said loads of people put it on internet about there landlords and your man said don't believe everything u read on internet doesn't mean there not telling the truth

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

Yes they do its all over the internet most landlords don't respect tenants

If its on the internet it must be true.

Its also all over the internet about tennants overholding and wrecking rented accomadation but i bet in your eyes thats only propaganda put out by all the fatcat landlords living in mansions.

Also my bedroom is leaking the last 8 years landlord won't do nothing and brings the rent up 5 to 20 euro every few months ive already been told by my solicitor if I took him to court there's a big chance he would lose flat

Go to court then. I’ve no time for dodgy landlords but there’s more good than bad out there.

• Advertisement

Go to court then. I’ve no time for dodgy landlords but there’s more good than bad out there.

Yes I know some are good I've had a few good ones I'm saying most landlords are stingy and greedy

If its on the internet it must be true.

Its also all over the internet about tennants overholding and wrecking rented accomadation but i bet in your eyes thats only propaganda put out by all the fatcat landlords living in mansions.
    Do you rent

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭mikemac2

You’ve well and truely hijacked the thread ^^^^

Just because that’s your situation and it does not meant “most” landlords enter without permisson

I’ve had some great landlords and some who were chancers but I never had any enter without permisson but anyway I can’t claim to speak for every tenant in Ireland and neither can you

Hundreds of times and you allow this? You’re a pushover

mikemac2 wrote: »
    You’ve well and truely hijacked the thread ^^^^

Just because that’s your situation and it does not meant “most” landlords enter without permisson

I’ve had some great landlords and some who were chancers but I never had any enter without permisson but anyway I can’t claim to speak for every tenant in Ireland and neither can you

Hundreds of times and you allow this? You’re a pushover

I let him away with it because I'm building it bigger and bigger I've pulled him up so many times

• Registered Users Posts: 37,716 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Delighted with that judgement against the Landlord.
    If you want to rent out property then you have to be willing to accept HAP.
    If you are not willing to accept it you are either dodgy or discriminating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭The Student

eagle eye wrote: »

So if you can't meet the HAP requirements and don't want to dispose of the property as you may want it for your children at some point in the future what do you suggest?

Remember the asset rich and cash poor people?

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Edgarfrndly

Aside from tax avoidance, why would a landlord refuse HAP? It's guaranteed money every month. It's difficult enough for people to get property. To me, it feels classist. I've a degree, don't smoke or drink - have never been in trouble in my life, but due to ill health - I'm forced to live off of disability and ultimately, rely on the likes of HAP for accommodation. Why should I be refused because I use HAP for the payment?

Or not willing to take the huge risk involved with no mechanism in place to remove non paying tenants?
    No wonder houses are empty.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Yes I know some are good I've had a few good ones I'm saying most landlords are stingy and greedy

Less of the generalisation please.

Mod note

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Aside from tax avoidance, why would a landlord refuse HAP? It's guaranteed money every month. It's difficult enough for people to get property. To me, it feels classist. I've a degree, don't smoke or drink - have never been in trouble in my life, but due to ill health - I'm forced to live off of disability and ultimately, rely on the likes of HAP for accommodation. Why should I be refused because I use HAP for the payment?

Tax avoidance? Virtually all rent is paid into bank accounts by electronic transferr.

You will have to look at the many posts by LLs who have had problems with HAP/RA tenants.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Not entirely true. There are massive risks associated with HAP, just as there’s massive advantages. The LL should be able to decide if it can work for them or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Edgarfrndly

davo10 wrote: »
    Tax avoidance? Virtually all rent is paid into bank accounts by electronic transferr.

Some is paid cash in hand.
    You will have to look at the many posts by LLs who have had problems with HAP/RA tenants.

So I should be refused accommodation because someone prior gave trouble? That's discrimination. Interview the person. Get a feel of who they are. But don't automatically assume they are troublesome because they are on HAP.

So I should be refused accommodation because someone prior gave trouble? That's discrimination. Interview the person. Get a feel of who they are. But don't automatically assume they are troublesome because they are on HAP.

Should never be paid in cash.

It is not you personally, it is the HAP scheme. When it comes to rental property viewings, HAP are at the bottom of the list of preferred tenants.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Very foolish landlord, there were many ways of not accepting HAP without admitting it.

I don't want to have HAP tenants, its not dodgy, I'm not discriminating against the tenants, I am discriminating against a scheme that pays in arrears, stops payments when tenant stops paying council, refuses to give info as to why payment has been stopped and forces me to make upgrades to house above and beyond those set done by legislation for rental to private tenants.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Turnipman

I don't want to have HAP tenants, its not dodgy, I'm not discriminating against the tenants, I am discriminating against a scheme that pays in arrears, stops payments when tenant stops paying council, refuses to give info as to why payment has been stopped and forces me to make upgrades to house above and beyond those set done by legislation for rental to private tenants.

Problem is that you'll need to go to the High Court to establish a right to stay out of HAP - and when you win (which you will) I wouldn't put it past the unqualified clowns running the WRC to appeal to the Supreme Court, seeing as they'll be spending other peoples' money.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭utmbuilder

one huge downside of hap i believe is they come out and inspect the house to a very high level

if the house doesnt pass they tell the landlord he has to fix it or take it off the market

private rentals no inspections are required

maybe the landlord doesnt want the grief of dealing with inspectors

• Registered Users Posts: 22,243 ✭✭✭✭endacl

If I was a landlord I’d accept HAP. I’d never let a property under the scheme, but I’d accept it. They’ll always be somebody with regular payslips and a healthy bank balance to rent to. Although, as I said, of course I’d ‘accept’ HAP tenants.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

Well if you don't rent what would you know about renting and land lords and tenants

Maybe i am a tennant maybe im a landlord you dont know but one thing i know about your posts they are pure drivel your soliciter told you he would lose the flat will ya stop talking through your hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

You can't think of any reasons why a landlord would be unhappy?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

It's guaranteed money every month.

What is guaranteed about it? Never been on either side of HAP but it doesn't seem any more guaranteed than any other rental. If the tenant doesn't pay the local authority they won't pay the landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

utmbuilder wrote: »
    one huge downside of hap i believe is they come out and inspect the house to a very high level

if the house doesnt pass they tell the landlord he has to fix it or take it off the market

private rentals no inspections are required

maybe the landlord doesnt want the grief of dealing with inspectors

What happens if you decline to do the upgrades. Does it basically mean hap payments will stop and then it’s up to the tenant to pay again or are ll forced in some way to do the upgrade ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

It's guaranteed money every month.

Nope, its not.

Any other rental- is paid in advance.
    HAP is paid in arrears.
    A HAP tenant pays their portion of the rent to the local authority- who pay the landlord in turn.
    If the HAP tenant is late with their portion to the local authority- there is no 'grace period'- the landlord is automatically cut off- they don't even get the local authority portion of the rent- they get nothing whatsoever- and it can take 6 months to get the HAP payments reinstated- all the time the tenant is there not paying rent- and the deficit may, or may not, be made good by the local authority in their annual accounts.

Of any possible tenant- it makes far more sense to get a regular tenant in- who pays their rent themselves- and there is no intermediary- who refuses to communicate with either the tenant or the landlord (on data protection grounds).

HAP- is a wonderful scheme for local authorities. Its a nightmare for tenants and landlords.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

Well your just thinking about it from your perspective, if you popped over and wanted to live in one of my places, I would treat it like an interview. Tenant A has a good income, steady job and can move in no problem and has to funds right now. Tenant b might have a lower income thus impacting affordability/risk of not paying rent, will be using hap to pay for bills which involves a ton of red tape and potential issues down the line and most importantly the reputation of some hap clients leaves a lot to be desired. Don’t get me wrong, some people in suits can be just as bad however it’s all about mitigating risk and you wouldn’t discrimate against hap, you just pick the best candidate with the least amount of hassle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.
    You should direct your anger towards other HAP / RA recipients who have caused this issue, nobody just made this up out of thin air.

A landlord once told me 'every landlord takes RA once' while we stood in a property he had just purchased off a landlord who got out of the game because an RA tenant overheld and when finally out (5 grand of arrears later) left the house with no appliances and most of the copper taken.

Advertisement