Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Caravan blows off cliff in Galway - Woman dead

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I'd absolutely consider it part of the site owner's/manager's duty of care to inform guests about weather warnings. Though we don't know what happened. They may have warned her. She may have been away until late last night and not been contactable. They may have put up notices she didn't see. Lots of reasons that were no ones fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

What a horrible and scary way for your life to end. Poor lady, RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

westcork67 wrote:
    I've stayed at this campsite and it seemed to be very well organised - for once, can people just accept an accident for what it is! This country has gone mad always looking for someone to blame - a litigous society driven by the greedy legal profession - accidents happen in storms (and this felt much worse down here in Galway than Ophelia) - this sense of entitlement and "what happens to me is always somebody elses fault" is a cancer in Irish society

The lady is not Irish and is not from Ireland. Have a rant about Irish society when appropriate this however is not the thread to do so.
    RIP to the lady in question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    The lady is not Irish and is not from Ireland. Have a rant about Irish society when appropriate this however is not the thread to do so.
    RIP to the lady in question.
    Bizarre interpretation. They are not saying anything about that poor lady. They are commenting on the rush to blame. Sometimes nobody is to blame when there is an accident.

Bizarre interpretation. They are not saying anything about that poor lady. They are commenting on the rush to blame. Sometimes nobody is to blame when there is an accident.

What's bizarre?an attack on Irish society on a thread about the sad accidental death of a Swiss national.
    Blame can be attributed if appropriate after an investigation. Still not the place for a rant tbh

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Swiss tourist newly arrived to the area (that day according to the Mail) so none of that is fair

I dunno. I always check the weather forecasts of places I’m travelling to. Fairly commonplace, I would have thought? And as soon as the wind picked up, I’d be out of there. Unless it happened as soon as the wind picked up.

I was in Greece during massive flooding a few years ago and knew it was going to happen days before.

As someone said, the campground also had a duty to warn her.

• Site Banned Posts: 272 ✭✭Loves_lorries

Swiss tourist newly arrived to the area (that day according to the Mail) so none of that is fair

Coming from somewhere like Switzerland, would be a real shock just how windy Ireland is.

• Site Banned Posts: 272 ✭✭Loves_lorries

murpho999 wrote: »
    The lady was on holidays.

I'm just back from holidays myself. Was in Spain last week, and I did not follow any news there at all and there was some extreme weather around.

The woman was just terribly unlucky and there is no need for people trying to blame her for her passing.

Was in majorca this time last year, knew what weather was due before we flew out and while we were there as this information scheduled our week, I'm a weather nut though.

Could tell you what a particular autumn was like four years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

In Ireland we've had loads of periods that didn't see such extreme weather conditions following each other.

No one said they never happened, just that they're far from the norm.

Storms in autumn are far from the norm?

There were always such in my childhood anyway (which was neither yesterday nor the day before I might add). That event the took the poor woman's life was only a storm it is worth noting. We can even get hurricanes here. Are you old enough to remember hurricane Charlie? All these thing happen all the time. I remember heavy snows and roasting summers....all long long before any climate change chicken licken talk was bandied about.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,849 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Was it her caravan or a static caravan on site ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

topper75 wrote: »
    Storms in autumn are far from the norm?

There were always such in my childhood anyway (which was neither yesterday nor the day before I might add). That event the took the poor woman's life was only a storm it is worth noting. We can even get hurricanes here. Are you old enough to remember hurricane Charlie? All these thing happen all the time. I remember heavy snows and roasting summers....all long long before any climate change chicken licken talk was bandied about.

Are you taking the proverbial or just pretending to not understand.

Storms in autumn are normal enough to Ireland.

What's not that normal though (in ireland) and wouldn't be considered the norm is, in less than a full calender year, being sent home from work, and advised by the government to not travel unless absolutely necessary due to a hurricane, then a few months later be literally snowed in (where I live anyway) due to 8ft snow drifts, where we were subjected to almost 72 hrs of constant snow, for a full week solid, then a few min5hs after that some of the highest temperatures and a prolonged period with no rain.

I didn't expect to have to clarify that post any further, but there you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Have been here. It's a well run site it seemed. Organised and very beautiful.

RIP to the poor woman.

Discodog wrote:
    Was it her caravan or a static caravan on site ?

Photos up on the RTE news site, looks like it was a static caravan.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,732 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Neyite wrote: »
    If you run a cliff-side caravan park and ignore both the Storm Helene and Ali warnings on the news and not inform your guests then you really should not be in business.

I wouldnt call that a cliff.

Looks like sand dunes from google maps.

Like dozens of caravan and camping sites I have been to in Kerry and Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭badtoro

Probably should wait to find out what happened first before pronouncing judgement on anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Rip to the poor woman.a nasty way to end your days.god love her

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Are you taking the proverbial or just pretending to not understand.

Storms in autumn are normal enough to Ireland.

What's not that normal though (in ireland) and wouldn't be considered the norm is, in less than a full calender year, being sent home from work, and advised by the government to not travel unless absolutely necessary due to a hurricane, then a few months later be literally snowed in (where I live anyway) due to 8ft snow drifts, where we were subjected to almost 72 hrs of constant snow, for a full week solid, then a few min5hs after that some of the highest temperatures and a prolonged period with no rain.

I didn't expect to have to clarify that post any further, but there you go.

All of the above happened before. Nobody was travelling through hurricane Charlie. The govt didn't do nannying then so we just resorted to common sense, poor divils. I have the photos of the 1980s snow. Maybe you weren't physically around but the records are there. We had similar high temps in 89, 95 and 2006. The 80s summers had incredible rainfall. Roads around our way were often blocked with floods. Absolutely none of this is new other than the 'climate change' mantra in our media, driven by agendists and careerists on the make.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,505 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    Photos up on the RTE news site, looks like it was a static caravan.

Quite sure it was a touring caravan.
    Poor woman, and an awful event for a nice campsite.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

_Brian wrote: »
    Quite sure it was a touring caravan.
    Poor woman, and an awful event for a nice campsite.

It wasn't a touring van. . Been reading local reports. She hired the caravan and the bike. the owner ,Kris , is passionate re the eco integrity of his site. he allocates the pitches strictly. Read the tripadvisor and Galway reports. She would have had to set up where she was told.

And had to have an advance booking.

The site is closed now and there will be a full investigation.

Owners deeply upset.

The lady would not have realised the implications of the storm. Maybe had there been a red warning?

an appalling event.

Advertisement