Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation Classic

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Dublinandy2

For another couple of daya if you're signed up to gorewards with ptsb (free if you have their card) you get 10 quid back if you spend 100. Buy the 99.99 console and a plastic bag and it will end up costing you a tenner less.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Yep, like most emulators setting the games to NTSC will run PAL games at 60htz, Sony left the emulator on auto which puts PAL games at 50htz. Using 60htz there is no frame duplicating unless the 60fps was achieved through interlacing.

I still would not buy one as a raspberry pi with a nice case would make a much better option/present for someone.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Does that not screw up the music?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I think this will turn out to be a good machine in the end once the hackers have nailed it properly I've already seen some fella's on youtube adding games to it via usb, only 1 at a time only a matter of time before we saw a hackhi type thing for it though , then i'll buy it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Sony made this thing cheap, knew it would be hacked, basically an emulator and a controller for $99.
    Hopefully it will come down in price as it's way too expensive. The retropie works just as well IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

So whats the story here with the link , is it a new emulator for it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

So whats the story here with the link , is it a new emulator for it

I can't embed the video in the link, but someone has gotten RetroArch running on the Playstation Classic. This will allow different PS1 emulators to be used, instead of the default one. Whether other emulators can be optimized enough to do a better job remains to be seen, but I think the emulation community in the long run will do a better job of this than Sony has.

While the specs of the Classic are pretty feeble when considering emulating PS1, sometimes weird stuff happens like devs having a renewed interest in optimizations. Only recently due to the Switch being able to run RetroArch, a dev has written a new dynarec which seems to hugely improve efficiency. This could mean we won't have to bother overclocking the Switch to get full speed N64 emulation running.

https://twitter.com/m4xwdev/status/1070334411827265536

Who's to say something similar can't/won't happen for PS1 emulation on ARM based devices?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

So now that this has been fairly well hacked and simple enough to add your own images to a USB stick using Bleemsync, is it still a turd ?

Well, yes and no.

The emulator is still the older PCSX version so missing out on recent updates and optimisations, hopefully the emulator will be updated at some stage. That said, I've replace the PAL versions with the NTSC ones on a few games and they run solid at 60fps for the most part.

There are several other/better ways to play PS1 games than this and at €100 its overpriced but at €50/60 its a definite buy for sheer novelty factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,773 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Bought one earlier collecting it tomorrow

Will have a look on YouTube too see how to add more games but don't want too feck the whole thing up

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Not buying it. Don't want Sony to get the impression they can **** out garbage like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Not buying it. Don't want Sony to get the impression they can **** out garbage like this.

Same. As much as I'd like one for the collectable aspect of it and to load up a few decent games on it I simply cannot give Sony a cent for this.

Things have gone really well for them with the PS4 and game wise this has been a solid year for them, then they pull this crap.

They know what gamers want and this isn't "for the players" unfortunately! I'm sure they know it will do well as a stocking filler.

It's crazy how you can go from sold out preorders to everyone absolutely slating it on release.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Down to $75 on Amazon.com now. http://a.co/d/2IBrGAK

• Registered Users Posts: 37,773 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

where do u get the hack games ??? PM me if private

• Registered Users Posts: 4,215 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Inviere wrote: »
    I can't embed the video in the link, but someone has gotten RetroArch running on the Playstation Classic. This will allow different PS1 emulators to be used, instead of the default one. Whether other emulators can be optimized enough to do a better job remains to be seen, but I think the emulation community in the long run will do a better job of this than Sony has.

More info here

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

49.99 sterling on amazon at the minute for those waiting on a price drop on this.

Sony PlayStation Classic Console https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B071G84NHX/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_NTSiCb1DPQY2X

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Id say its been one of the biggest flops for Sony in a good few years

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Id say its been one of the biggest flops for Sony in a good few years

I was almost tempted to get one, but saw sense.
    Even at half price it's pretty worthless unless someone hacks the sh1t out of it, and nothing has popped up so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

When it was announced I was delighted. HD 60hz ps1, a dream! But they utterly ****ed it up

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    unless someone hacks the sh1t out of it, and nothing has popped up so far.

You can run any PS game via usb now :confused:

• Advertisement

Apparently they don't run well unless there's been better emulators made for it?

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Apparently they don't run well unless there's been better emulators made for it?

Sure even the stock games arguably don’t run well. It’s using a 2014 discontinued version of Psx REarmed iirc, I’m not sure there’s much hope for the device in its stock form. I’ve seen vids of RetroArch running on it, but it’s preliminary, and will have the same hardware limitations. Also seen a vid of someone who installed a Pi in it, but has the psx boot screen, and boots to a nice psx only GUI...would seem the best solution.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

I'd love if this didn't sell well and gave Sony the message they can't just pedal something so half arsed. I feel though the bottom line is it made enough to be considered a success.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Inviere wrote: »
    You can run any PS game via usb now :confused:

What now?
    Link?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

I've about 40 or so games on mine, all USA/JP region where possible and most play at a solid 60 fps with the stock emulator, will upgrade it when I get a chance.

Can't be arsed with different themes or stuff like that, but the modding community is very active.

At half price now its good enough value to take a punt on.

Damn, I'll have to pick one up...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,215 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭seoirsem

Hi lads, does an iPhone ac adaptor work with the Playstation classic? thanks

Advertisement