Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holy water?

Options
  • 18-09-2018 4:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭

Is holy water homeopathic?

If a priest tops up a half full/empty barrel of holy water, would its holiness be diluted and its efficacy reduced, so you'd need more for the spells?

Or would the existing water "imbue" the new water with holiness?

Does the pH, temperature and hardness affect holy waters property?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Is it clear of toxins?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Also, who is liable for any killing any cryptosporidium present?
    God or the supplier?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Only time I seen Holy water was going down the bath Plughole

21/25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

If you drink it, your wee becomes magic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Of course not. Homeopathy is a medical science with a long proven track record of improving health and curing illness. It is a taught and regulated profession, requiring in depth study to be able to practice it, by such bodies as The Homeopathy Research Institute, The Irish School of Homeopathy, and the British Institute of Homeopathy.
    Holy Water - is just make believe for the superstitious, the simple minded, and the desperate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

If a priest tops up a half full/empty barrel of holy water, would its holiness be diluted and its efficacy reduced, so you'd need more for the spells?

I think if they top it up they bless it again don't they? Thereby making sure that the water that was already there is blessed twice (at least) increasing the strength and potency....so it's definitely not homepathic

Of course not. Homeopathy is a medical science with a long proven track record of improving health and curing illness. It is a taught and regulated profession, requiring in depth study to be able to practice it, by such bodies as The Homeopathy Research Institute, The Irish School of Homeopathy, and the British Institute of Homeopathy.
    Holy Water - is just make believe for the superstitious, the simple minded, and the desperate.

dyeuYpC.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

To paraphrase you, many, including the NHS, would have you believe that Homeopathy is just make believe for the superstitious, the simple minded, and the desperate. Pot, kettle, black and all that...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Do they still have Holy water on tap in Knock?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,255 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I don't know if you're joking here, but homeopathy is very far from medical science

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Yes , but at the moment the hosepipe ban is still in effect so if you want to water a plant , you need to get a bucket.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

How does that work?

Did they bless the well?

Well bless you.

A goblet of holy water will cure you, so sayeth that Indiana Jones documentary.

Could a priest bathe in holy water then?

That wasn't a goblet of holy water.

That was a holy goblet of water

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Or would the existing water "imbue" the new water with holiness?

Does the pH, temperature and hardness affect holy waters property?
    FqE.gif
    is-jesus-god-heaven-angels.jpg

angeles.jpg

FqE.gif
    is-jesus-god-heaven-angels.jpg

angeles.jpg

Top tip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

kneemos wrote: »
    Top tip.

Bless you my child.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

I think the priests blessed the aquifer.
    All recharge and abstracted water thus of sufficient holiness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Drink your piss and see if you have any spells cast upon you.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,056 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I also have a gripe when the priest invites anybody who is coeliac to sip from the wine chalice instead of eating the bread.
    Yes..but isn't the host now gluten free as it's the flesh of Christ?
    Transubstantiation yaddi yadda.
    See, I did listen in religion class.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

my father always said 'holy water will not boil' don't know why he thought this.?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

It’ll ward off your demons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

But picking the wrong one could lead to serious dehydration.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭cumulonimbus

With all the people dipping their hands in the font, it must be full of germs. Would those germs be holy also?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,745 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I also have a gripe when the priest invites anybody who is coeliac to sip from the wine chalice instead of eating the bread.

But you mitched part 2 where they explained about how it keeps all the properties it had before.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

But you mitched part 2 where they explained about how it keeps all the properties it had before.

So if you believe in transubstantiation, coelics can take communion but vegetarians/vegans can't. Right.
    With all the people dipping their hands in the font, it must be full of germs. Would those germs be holy also?
    The germs combine with the holy water to create super-immunity elixir. I thought everybody knew that!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,217 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Exactly. As with all things catholic intelligent and highly educated people (mostly men to be fair) have pondered over every aspect.

https://www.catholic.com/qa/celiac-disease-and-transubstantiation

• Advertisement

Exactly. As with all things catholic intelligent and highly educated people (mostly men to be fair) have pondered over every aspect.
    https://www.catholic.com/qa/celiac-disease-and-transubstantiation
    But in the change the accidental properties remain. This means that everything that pertains to the senses remains: what it looks like, what it tastes like, the spatial location it occupies, and the effects it has on the body. As such, transubstantiation doesn’t negate the fact that those with celiac disease can still be affected negatively when partaking of the host

That's mad!! And here was me thinking that transubstantiation was just a load of bollocks :o

Advertisement