Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What age did you start smoking and why?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭moonage

4176d7344f75c646ae9e0680997198f1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭jim salter

13-15 and Still Smoke
    I'm fukin winning on this thread and it's fukin' great!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

13-15 and Still Smoke
    Philip Morris have taken their business model to places like Indonesia and you can be sure they won't make the mistakes again as the market matures. I remember our neighbour Jacob Rees Mogg slipping from character once and saying with glee there is great margin in cigarettes (he invests in emerging markets).

Prison economies around the world run on cigarettes aswell. 20 cigarettes for a muff bag, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

13-15 and Still Smoke
    moonage wrote: »
    4176d7344f75c646ae9e0680997198f1.jpg

Ah stop. As long as you are wearing clean jocks I wouldn't worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

13-15 and Still Smoke
    Believe it or not around 7 :D (13 when I started smoking full time) courtesy of the 5th and 6th class students robbing them from the chain smoking teachers.

In secondary school I’d go to Bonners pub in Thurles (now a carphone warehouse) they had a cigarette machine upstairs beside the toilets. Go in there with old pound coins and 50ps. Used to smoke them in the toilet between classes. Principal would stand outside the cubicle knowing full well what you were doing but he couldn’t open the door. Used to sneak one cigarette from my locker into my pencil case so you wouldn’t get caught. The principal also had a master key to all lockers hence why I’d purposely half break my key in the door to stop him getting in. They were only brand new lockers at the time and I guess they didn’t want to bust in to change the lock

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

13-15 and Ex Smoker
    13, because someone gave me one. Had a few years of along the way but you could basically say damage is done after that many years. No real desire to give up at the minute, I don't think I'd be able to anyway as I've no will power when it comes to anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

18-20 and Still Smoke
    Started at 16 because everyone else my age was at it. Out of a gang of about 15 of us, only 1 didn't take up smoking. Quit when I was 27 after reading Alan Carr's book.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭wonga77

First cigarette at 11 cause I was with a "cool" friend. Never really got into it though I would still have an occasional one on a night out.
    As a shop owner I can safely say the scene has changed a massive amount in the last 10 or so years. Mostly has to do with the pricing but there are very few young ones looking to buy cigarettes. Rarely ever are we forced to ask for id anymore. If anything it's more pouches of tobacco we sell to the younger market 18-25 year olds.
    Vapes are a fad aimed at the young ones. I mean who wants to be smoking blueberry fags... I think in a few years they will be proven to be worse for your health.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Never smoked. It was a different world in those far off years. ...

I trained to Advanced Royal Academy of Dancing in classical ballet. When any of the girls tried smoking, the effect on their breathing in class was immediately apparent. Scary.

My father was a heavy smoker like so many who fought in the War, and the stink has terrible memories for me. He died of cancer later.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

13-15 and Still Smoke
    Took them up at 11.

I decided I wanted to because I was that kind of kid and so i found a half smoked butt in Pearse Street Station on my way home from school one day and smoked it when I got home. I hid it in a pen :pac:

I was high as a kite, loved it and was hooked from that day on.

I was a chain smoker from my mid teens right up to mid 40's.

I was a heavy drinker as well and literally ate them on a night out easily going through 60 or 80..

Gave up the sauce 3 years ago..

About 18 months ago I woke up one morning and decided i was going to stop smoking. No planning, no real decision or any idea how I was going to do it.. By the end of the day I knew for certain that i'd never smoke again..

It's a switch in your head.. We all have it.. If you can find it and flick it, giving up is easy..

Having said all that, if I was still drinking i'd be still smoking.

No doubt about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

"Hi, I'm Nico! I'd like to introduce you to my new range of beauty products..."

"THERE'S NOTHING SEXY ABOUT SMOKING."

Seriously. Never seen the attraction of it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

13-15 and Ex Smoker
    My smoking career actually started sucking hash through pierced coke cans as child then, I became quite adept at rolling spliffs and that's when my lifelong love affair with nicotine began

Advertisement