Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

NUI Galway Gender Neutral Toilets ...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

If it's a single stall, who gives a **** what gender the two students riding inside it are?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

We all have gender neutral bathrooms. In our houses. And many's a small cafe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Should just say toilet.

I like that being in a wheelchair is a gender too 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

We have gender neutral toilets at work, never been a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,947 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Should just say toilet.

I like that being in a wheelchair is a gender too ��

Thats not a wheel chair, its a person with a huge ass.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

They're handy, when the turtle is poking his head out I don't care where I go.

Anyway, weren't these types of toilets a bit popular in the late 90's and early 2000's when Ally McBeal was on (minus the smug, look at me I'm changing the world types)?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Very handy for doing a line of coke in. Great idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

That's actually the Gym, not the Uni (granted, the Gym is on campus). It's also the disabled toilet on the ground floor, so it's a single cubicle with a toilet & shower so there'll be no small talk at the sinks.

They've had gender neutral / whatever toilets on campus since last year, IIRC. Basically, they turn the disabled toilet into this gender neutral / whatever toilet.

Will mainly benefit lazy b4stards, given that they can now use the disabled toilet :pac:

When I think 'gender neutral', it brings me back to backpacking in SE Asia... now that was proper gender neutral. You'd be standing at a urinal, next thing this stunning young one would walk in. It got really weird when she'd stand at the urinal next to you and pull out her lad :eek: Fairly tame in Ireland, tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 14,683 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

That's multi-gender.
    Be handier if it just said W/C or Toilet.
    Or a cartoon picture of a devilish toilet grinning and a frightened loo roll resisting a flush.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

It's far from a new concept. An hotel restaurant here has had them for many years. It's no big deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Bloody hell. I used these toilets way back in the early noughties in many a night club. They were called unisex toilets.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,683 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Bloody hell. I used these toilets way back in the early noughties in many a night club. They were called unisex toilets.

Hah, unisex toilet in a University.
    I see what you did there.
    This guyyyy!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

Now if they could just neutralise that odour.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,489 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

so NUI Galway has Gender neutral Bathrooms now :rolleyes:

Bet Woodie's in Carrick on Shannon has one too

• Registered Users Posts: 11,710 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

so, have they whipped out the disabled toilets and put in gender neutral ones or used the disabled toilets as gender neutral ones or what, its a bit sketchy - if so what happens if a disabled person wants to use the bog and a gender neutral person is sin there?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/row-over-change-of-nui-galway-disabled-toilets-to-transgender-ones-1.3205988

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

so, have they whipped out the disabled toilets and put in gender neutral ones or used the disabled toilets as gender neutral ones or what, its a bit sketchy - if so what happens if a disabled person wants to use the bog and a gender neutral person is sin there?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/row-over-change-of-nui-galway-disabled-toilets-to-transgender-ones-1.3205988

They wait, just like anyone else would if they went into any toilet and it was occupied.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

NUIG is a hotbed for that crowd. Unsurprising that they're pandering to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,150 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I've no issue with gender neutral toilets.
    I would like standard male/female toilets to remain also.
    Some people simply don't feel comfortable going to the toilet with the opposite sex.
    My other condition would be that if a business/etc wants to provide them they install them and not just slap a sticker on the accessibility toilet door.
    Personally, I'd go to the toilet anywhere. Lots of public/supermarket toilets are shared single toilet.
    If I had the choice tough when building a public facility.
    I'd install male,female,gender neutral, asseciablity and larger ones for families when needed.
    In a busy shopping centre /club I like being a guy. You head in do your business, wash your hands and leave. No waiting around compared to the women's toilets.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭ethical

How long before someone defaces it to read:seomra feistis do chac.......which means room for a sh1t!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

As long as i can dispatch a log in there between lectures, I don't give a fcuk if it's designated as Martian-friendly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

One of the office buildings in my company has these spread around, as well as separated bathrooms too.

Works well, and never any complaints in like 10 years.

Bet this whole thread kinda backfired for you OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,150 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

By the way Andy how many of these toilets would you like to see in Tesco?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

All white characters on the sign? could we be more unwelcoming?
    My heart bleeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,951 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Are these not unisex?

Whats the difference?

• Site Banned Posts: 386 ✭✭Jimmy.

As long as i can dispatch a log in there between lectures, I don't give a fcuk if it's designated as Martian-friendly.

You will need to rejig your bowel movements for the real world. Taking a crap in the middle of a work day will get you fired.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

That's just a toilet for everyone. Which is fine. Everyone uses toilets.

When they start with toilets especially for gender neutral students then they've pandered to the lunatics

Mod-Banned

• Registered Users Posts: 11,710 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Sonics2k wrote: »
    One of the office buildings in my company has these spread around, as well as separated bathrooms too.

Works well, and never any complaints in like 10 years.

Bet this whole thread kinda backfired for you OP.

yeah - you've nearly all let me down :)

I was waiting for the "pandering under pressure to niche groups" and "this is where it starts... where will it all end?" comments

.... and it never happened

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Why does it say restroom? Is it where you go for a sleep?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Ugh you know I really think they're total idiot's with this whole approach to this. All they need to do is have a normal bathroom, no gender or anything its JUST A TOILET. Noone is "excluded" if noone give a shít to begin with.

Bloody "identity" politics, sure lads lets highlight all the different group's so we can piss everyone off instead of making difference's irrelevant.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

I was in NUIG last year and I can tell you why there's a small picture of the door - it's because basically there's this one little toilet in the corridor that anyone can use and it's no big deal. It's actually a massive help. It's tiny so there's no big queues. It's a tiny cubicle that hardly anyone knows about. I only wish there was more of them.

Advertisement