Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How important is a 'dinner?'

Options
  • 11-09-2018 1:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭

How important is sit-down dinner on a plate?I had been trying to go vegetarian,but it's much easier to make up a roll than a 'dinner on a plate'. I can make a good roll with tomato,Quorn chicken,onions,cheese,maybe seed. I really struggle big time with the 'plate'.

I originally had this in the athletics forum as I train quite a lot.

Had a problem with meat since childhood but never really managed to cook 'nice' veggie food....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Your body doesn't really care other than maybe some psychological triggers. In the end all that really matters is nutritional content.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,560 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Spirogyra wrote: »
    How important is sit-down dinner on a plate?I had been trying to go vegetarian,but it's much easier to make up a roll than a 'dinner on a plate'. I can make a good roll with tomato,Quorn chicken,onions,cheese,maybe seed. I really struggle big time with the 'plate'.

I originally had this in the athletics forum as I train quite a lot.

Had a problem with meat since childhood but never really managed to cook 'nice' veggie food....

The 'dinner' you're talking about is just a collection of calories with macro- and micro-nutrients.

It doesn't matter if they are served on a plate or in a roll once you're fuelling yourself with enough calories to support your activity.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,415 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Factors other than just calories and macros can have a huge psychological effect, though, particularly on things like satiety. Sitting down at a place set for dinner and eating with a knife and fork will send far more "You've eaten a full meal" signals to your brain than eating the same meal in three or four bites from your hands while standing at the counter.

Likewise, hot food tends to feel more satisfying than cold.

Obviously, if the former works for you, then fine, but I definitely find that the whole ritual (for want of a better word) of actually sitting down at the table to eat a meal from a plate and putting my knife and fork down between each bite makes it much easier for me to eat well, enjoy my food and not be looking for something else a couple of hours later.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,293 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Obviously, if the former works for you, then fine, but I definitely find that the whole ritual (for want of a better word) of actually sitting down at the table to eat a meal from a plate and putting my knife and fork down between each bite makes it much easier for me to eat well, enjoy my food and not be looking for something else a couple of hours later.
    And also a "dinner" is often less calorific than the more snacky, on the go option. In my experience anyway. The main difference between what I'd eat as a plate of salad (which would includ meat for me) and a wrap/ roll/ sambo is the addition of the bread and less salad. Non leaf content is pretty much the same.

I know it's not the same things as the OP asked, but I've moved away from shakes and smoothies too. Much more satisfying having a yogurt fruit salad with muesli, than it all blitzed up and necked in my experience.

Advertisement