Advertisement
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards
Mods please check the Moderators Group for an important update on Mod tools. If you do not have access to the group, please PM Niamh. Thanks!

Gaming channel - where to start?

Registered Users Posts: 1,435 wobblyknees

So I am going to set up a youtube channel with my son. He loves watching the online gamer vids and this would be for him and me to do something similar together. Im IT literate so looking for some practical input from anyone who has gone about setting up a channel and what you need to record, edit and general tips. Thanks! 😊

Comments

• Assuming you're capturing console gaming, get yourself a capture card, internal for PC or external for laptop, something like an avermedia LGP should be cheap now to start. One webcam and basically any usb headset and you're good to go technically. Don't go nuts spending at first.

If you want to do live editing, OBS is excellent, offline I just use iMovie for quick stuff or FCP for complex on Mac.

The reality of the youtube environment right now is he's likely to try for 6 months, get no traction and fail, unless he finds the process fun. The market is saturated and youtube themselves have no interest at all in helping little guys. So keep it fun :)

If he's young, I would probably lock down the comments and moderate them yourself in case anything nasty gets said.

• Assuming you're capturing console gaming, get yourself a capture card, internal for PC or external for laptop, something like an avermedia LGP should be cheap now to start. One webcam and basically any usb headset and you're good to go technically. Don't go nuts spending at first.

If you want to do live editing, OBS is excellent, offline I just use iMovie for quick stuff or FCP for complex on Mac.

The reality of the youtube environment right now is he's likely to try for 6 months, get no traction and fail, unless he finds the process fun. The market is saturated and youtube themselves have no interest at all in helping little guys. So keep it fun :)

If he's young, I would probably lock down the comments and moderate them yourself in case anything nasty gets said.

Great thanks, the idea is this is a little project we'll do together so just for fun. I hear you on the comments, will keep an eye on this.

• Great thanks, the idea is this is a little project we'll do together so just for fun. I hear you on the comments, will keep an eye on this.

Entirely the right way to do it :) Yeah sadly you do have to keep an eye on comments, you never know when someone will drop something nasty in them.

• This can become a great channel, As many gaming youtubers out there play and host gaming videos individually. You guys can play the new games together in a fun way and that game will be reviewed from two different generation perspective at the same time. Also I would suggest you, to start this thing on twitch also because that community is more strong for gaming than youtube.

• Depends on how far you want to go with it.

-- If it's to be a common activity which may fizzle out, you can forgo a lot of the little details and easily build the basics together - consider it a learning experience and a fun project for both of you. I can say that running my own YT channel on the side (however casually) has been a very valuable experience to have later in my life. Such a skill can be beneficial for work and other things in future. The fact it organically grew a small audience over the years was an afterthought - but one I've come to appreciate. You don't have to be a viral sensation or a popular 'YT personality' to build a waiting audience, unless size is all you care about. Despite that, Doomy is right - it would still be best if you moderated comments, no matter how big or small -- there's just too many ill-comments to go around on every video.

-- If, however, you wish to actually take it seriously, you'll find that there's a lot of (not difficult, just annoying) steps that are borderline mandatory to snag any kind of attention that will organically grow... Though again, a lot of these can be considered projects or learning experiences, such as Thumbnails (Photoshop - extremely valuable knowledge to have), content quality (more about hardware and production values, eg. cameras, green-screens and all the fancy trimmings that make things seem more 'pro' -- which is infinitely more appealing than watching mobile-phone quality videos), video editing and compression (I personally use Adobe Premiere) -- video editing in itself is a monster topic - one where most of the magic really happens... And lots more.

Take it piece by piece - start by opening the appropriate accounts, then some basic trimmings (channel art, banners, description) -- link them up and then start lashing content at it -- whether you wish to promote that content is another thing. Funny - any time I try to tell my own Dad about what I do on YouTube he cringes, least tech savvy computer-hater I know. If you really took it seriously as a Father/Son YT gaming duo in this day and age, you could easily get quite a bit of appeal now that the gaming era is very family oriented.

• Advertisement
Advertisement