Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A/R/tist in the Spotlight - aquinn

• 09-09-2018 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,398 ✭✭✭✭

It is my great pleasure to introduce our next A/Rtist, my former clubmate and regular running mate aquinn. Aoife has been with us here since 2014 when she made a very respectable marathon debut with the novices. Recently, she has made an impressive return to full fitness following the kind of setback that would put many less tenacious runners out of the sport forever. But not her!

This should be fun. I’ll get the ball rolling with:

1. PBs?
    2. Best running moment?
    3. Worst running moment?
    4. What colour is the dress?
    5. Will you do parkrun the day after the wedding?
    6. Who’s the best pacer on boards?
    7. Favourite film?
    8. Have you ever cut a corner during a race? What do you think of people who do?

And away we go.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Wayhayyyy. Great stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

1. Why are you so contrary on Boards?
    2. Wine or beer?
    3. Honeymoon destination?
    4. Boards, over hyped?
    5. Next marathon?
    6. Who was your teenage crush?
    7. How much will you miss D?
    8. Other sports interests?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

1. What was the setback? Asking because I feel like I'm always having setbacks and would like to be inspired
    2. How do you motivate yourself to go for a run if you are dreading it?
    3. What do you have to eat the day before and morning of a race?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Great choice.

1. What are your running goals for the next 12 months now you back on form?
    2. I think your fiancé runs too - did you inspire him to start or vice versa?
    3. Do you have a coach?
    4. Have you run a race abroad and where?
    5. Would you run an ultra?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Hi aquinn!

What has your long recovery taught you?
    Actual Books or Facebook?
    What was your most recent binge?
    Do you clean your runners?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Oooh brilliant :D no idea what to ask you though!!!

Would you consider defecting to Shamrocks now?
    Why haven't you talked Anna into joining a club yet?
    What colour are the shoes?
    Crisps or chocolate?
    Will you beat P in the Charleville smackdown?
    Favourite Netflix series?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Murph_D wrote: »
    It is my great pleasure to introduce our next A/Rtist, my former clubmate and regular running mate aquinn. Aoife has been with us here since 2014 when she made a very respectable marathon debut with the novices. Recently, she has made an impressive return to full fitness following the kind of setback that would put many less tenacious runners out of the sport forever. But not her!

1. PBs?
    2. Best running moment?
    3. Worst running moment?
    7. Favourite film?
    8. Have you ever cut a corner during a race? What do you think of people who do?

And away we go.

Good morning Denis,

Thanks very much.

1. PBs?
    Oh, bless the internet.
    5 km St Anne's Jan 2016 21:24
    10km, K Club 2015 Time: 00:46:36
    10 mile. FD 10mile Swords 1:16:32.
    DCM HM 2015 1:43:17
    DCM 4:19:58 maybe. 2014

2. Best running moment?

Dublin City Marathon 2014. I was so proud of myself. I thought I followed the plan exactly. I realised two days before what PMP was from Adrian posting something. Oops. I, thanks to your advice, had a brilliant day. I really enjoyed it. I let go of my time early on and when I caught the 4 hour pacers after the park I purposely stopped to tie my shoelace and let them go. I stopped to give all friends and Family who came out to support me a big sweaty hug. I had an amazing day. Such a surrel expereince. I never thought I would run a marathon. It was brilliant.

3. Worst running moment?
    I have had a few horror moments in relation to urgently needing the loo and not finding one. It isn't fun or pleasant.

Leinster blue, obviously.

Poolbeg is the closest but possibly not, will you?

Sorry now but Marthastew. She paced me for the 2014 DCM HM. I was having a horror of a day. It was warm, like it always is for my HM. I was hormonal. Desperate sleep. Legs were dead. She was amazing. She was getting ready for Berlin in a few weeks. I dropped off on the climb through the Furry Glen and the whole group were shouting my name getting me to continue but I had had enough. I kept on going and the minute I crossed the line she grabbed my wrist and saw 1:49 and gave me a massive hug. I the cycled off home and my foot cramped. The Family were in my house being amazing and clearing out my shed in my absence. The minute I opened the door my Mam arrived and I burst into tears. It wasn't a good day for me as you can possibly tell but having made it around the course and achieved sub 1:50 I was delighted and it didn't put me off DCM 6 weeks later.

Yourself obviously due to help and support at the 10mile.

FBOT was the pacer for the 5km and I lost him early on as you are still a lot better at cutting through crowds. Would hope to use him again to beat 5km PB.

7. Favourite film?
    Oh no, this was the question I wasn't looking forward to. I hate the cinema, I think it is a complete waste of time and money. I like Pixar and Marvel? Indiana Jones when I was younger was brilliant, the one with Sean Connery so the first and third. Not so much the second. I don't like violence or horror. My friends are big cinema goers and for years they kept inviting me and I kept ignoring the messages. I finally went to see something with them and was so horrified I walked away and they never asked me again. The one with the Tsunami in Thailand?

Absolutely not. It really annoys me. People were so stupid and careless in the GT5km last week with jumping curbs and cutting corners.
    I was marshalling at Junior parkrun yesterday and was telling them to run the path and not the grass as that was the course.

Thanks for the questions. I hope that's all ok.

OOnegative wrote: »
    2. Wine or beer?
    4. Boards, over hyped?
    5. Next marathon?
    8. Other sports interests?

Contrary, me? I wouldn't have thought so. Open and brutally honest yes.

2. Wine or beer?

Both. I used to be a Bulmers drinker and in my youth learnt more than once how bad it is to drink red wine and Bulmers. Makes me very pukey and unwell the next day.

Now I'm a wine and beer drinker but with less mixing.

Heading to the West of Ireland for a few days and ensuring we make Wesport parkrun too. Hopefully NZ in the New Year.

4. Boards, over hyped?

I'm not sure. I missed the hayday of Boards and majority of the fall-outs. It took me months to even realise there was more than just the Novices thread. I used to find training logs when people would actually tell me. I've missed an awful lot and it goes very quiet and boring at times but then when we do the Spotlight it seems to bring the community spirit back which is good and positive.

5. Next marathon?

Oh I don't know. I would love to do Cork. Dublin definitely again.

Bros? The Dallas man, Bobby?

Very much. Will miss the company and runs up and back to the club. Great to have a run with him yesterday.

8. Other sports interests
    P is big into rugby. I enjoy it but don't fully follow it as there is a lot going on and I don't know all the rules.

There was sailing. I used to love it but since the knee have fallen out of love with it. I still have a lovely laser to sell if anyone is interested.

I enjoy the bike. I recently gave away my racer as it hasn't been used since the ROK 2015. I cycle to work daily but do like going for long spins.

Cheers B.

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    1. What was the setback? Asking because I feel like I'm always having setbacks and would like to be inspired

Thanks!

It is not a setback any runner would appreciate. I fell the last morning skiing after being careful all week. Something popped behind my knee. I was advised that I had ruptured my ACL and was told in Austria I wouldn't be doing the marathon that June. That was the 4th March 2016. I had an MRI and saw the consultant quickly. I had to spent the next few weeks building up around the knee so it was strong after surgery. I found all this ok and never in pain. Could get out and about ok. No problems walking just to be cautious. I had the operation on the 12th April 2016. I completely underestimated the surgery. It took 4 months to walk pain free. One month to come off crutches. I still have a tightness in the knee on stairs. It still swells up. It was a hard time. My confidence took an awful knock. I had to be shown how to get on a bike and use the cross-trainer etc. I didn't start a walk-to-run program until Jan 2017. It was hard going but I was told to stay involved. I was voted on to the sailing committee and I volunteered regulary at parkrun and club events so I wouldn't be completely cut-off when I came back.

Motivation does come and go. I was tired a few weeks back and had zero interest in going out. Once I did I enjoyed it. Just took it easy and was always happy coming back from a run and sticking with the schedule.

I asked Testerscone to coach me before Christmas. When someone takes on the responsibility and puts the time in then it is only fair on them to make the effort too.

I used to always get up 3 hours beforehand and have a dialoryte and porridge. Before the 10 mile in Swords and the morning of the South Dublin 10km I had toast and jam.

The night before I always had lasanga from the butchers. Loved it. Nowdays I think before the 10mile it was steak and potatoes and chips. Maybe a magnum too.

I hope that helped and thanks.

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Great choice.

3. Do you have a coach?

Great choice. Thanks :D

I would like a HM PB from Charleville to show off the training.

After that I think switch to a 5km focus. Unfortunately now I think I'm going to miss Jingle bells but maybe the Tom Brennan run on NYD.

He did run before we met and sucessfully completed the C25km. Gave it up but when we met I took him to his first parkrun in St Anne's and he is flying since. His first HM he did incredibly well in the Rock n Roll last year. He is an excellent runner.

3. Do you have a coach?

I do yes, Luke from these parts. I had my deferrral from Cork 2016 and had an entry for this year and hoped to complete it. Last November I contacted him and asked would he be able to coach me as I didn't think I had a confidence in myself to push myself doing the meno plan. I needed help and guidance and he has been excellent. Knows my strenghts more than I do and what I am capable of.

I don't think so actually. I run on holidays but haven't done a race or parkrun abroad.

I think so actually. I'm hardy enough and had notions a few years ago about doing Donadea so yes, maybe. Have to break sub 4 first and go from there.

Cheers K.

• Advertisement

Hi aquinn!

Heya!

I know what the word stoic means as it was used many times in 2016.

An ACL recovery isn't easy and everyone heals differently. I will never ski again as a result of it.

I cried once when I realised what I had done to myself and only the once.

I'm reading trash on Kindle at the minute. FB and trying to learn twitter.

Binge for food or shopping?

I do love shopping, oh and food.

Only if I stand in something unpleasant that we don't want in the house. I'm sure I would get rid of muck. I have washed them a few times and told it wrecks them so try to do that when they are now retired.

Cheers, I hope you're well.

1. PBs?
    2. Best running moment?
    3. Worst running moment?
    7. Favourite film?

And away we go.

WAIT a minute. How could I forget.

The Novices in the Phoenix Park. That October in 2015. Will never forget or get over it. Not matter how many bad moments during running and needing a loo that was still a shock that took a long time to get over.

Oooh brilliant :D no idea what to ask you though!!!

Crisps or chocolate?
    Favourite Netflix series?

No, I'm ok. I just need to get used to the run up and back. Not looking forward to Winter, more for security but will persist in trying to get P/Anna/BG down to the club.

The big draw of having a track as I would be afraid of running on the grass and wrecking myself.

They have been off for the Summer but I normally train with a great group and lovely and consistent runners so hopefully with schools back they will return.

I don't know. I keep failing at this one so far. Trust me, it has been mentioned numerous times but no joy as yet

I'm currently wearing black Clarke runners :D

Crisps or chocolate?

Crisps.

I don't think so. He left me for dead with 2 miles to go at the 10 mile. I surged ahead of him at the GT5km last week and he got blocked on the last few steps and we still ended up with the same time. Sake.

Favourite Netflix series

I enjoyed the Crown. I thought it was very well done.

I had never seen the Good Wife and was getting in to it and they removed it.

Suits is thrash yet watching it.

Ozark is back.

That really weird cult thing in Amercia in the 70's. That was fairly shocking.

Cheers AM.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,398 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

aquinn wrote: »
    WAIT a minute. How could I forget.

The Novices in the Phoenix Park. That October in 2015. Will never forget or get over it. Not matter how many bad moments during running and needing a loo that was still a shock that took a long time to get over.

Haha - I’d almost forgotten that myself. You certainly had the dazed and confused look afterwards, and haven’t run XC since, if I’m correct?

Haha - I’d almost forgotten that myself. You certainly had the dazed and confused look afterwards, and haven’t run XC since, if I’m correct?

Ah no to my credit I did. I just learnt a lot that day.

I did the Raheny one and then even bought spikes for the National Masters in Dundalk. They were much better days out as it was all about survival and not hating it.

Oh I did the Gardai Cross country and came maybe 17th?

My Strava photo is from the Dundalk Masters.

Oh and my one and only 4 mile race was this year on the day two years previously I ruptured my ACL it was at the end of our snow week.

Lusk 4 mile. 29:01.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Great choice. Happy to learn more about a fellow Glue Factory member. :)

1. What's the best part about having a coach?
    2. Favourite distance?
    3. Prefer a good session or a nice long run?
    4. Favourite session?
    5. Post race treat?
    6. Favourite parkrun outside of Dublin?
    7. If you could go for a run with anyone famous who would it be and why?
    8. If you could run anywhere in the world where would it be?
    9. Favourite day of the year?
    10. Happiest moment in your life?
    11. Biggest regret?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Excellent choice.

1. Bucketlist race?
    2. Favourite place you've visited?
    3. If you could go anywhere in the world, no expenses spared, where would you go?
    4. Favourite restaurant?
    5. If you could give your 16-year-old self advice, what would it be?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Just popping in to say hello, but while I'm here...

Favourite race you've run?
    Targets for the next year?
    Have you run track races?
    Do you do stretches/strength/conditioning work regularly?
    Drills before sessions or races?
    What would you go back and change What are you going to change about your running?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

• Stranded indefinitely on a desert island. Your 3 must-have items ?
    • Murder/Marry/MakeOut - choose from boardsies only.
    • Who would you have on your ideal pub quiz team and why ?
    • What did you want to be when you grew up ?
    • Guilty pleasure ?
    • Something you're really good at (apart from running obvs)
    • Bad Boy crush ?

:D

• Advertisement

Great choice. Happy to learn more about a fellow Glue Factory member. :)

2. Favourite distance?
    4. Favourite session?
    5. Post race treat?
    11. Biggest regret?

Morning P,

The feedback/help advice and support. As I previously said Luke knows my ability better than I do and without question. I doubt myself. Early on I underestimated a few sessions which on paper looked easy and I thought he was being soft on me but he really wasn't.
    He knew recently I was tiring and needed a step-back week. On the Tuesday I was gung-ho to go to the club. He emailed the weekly plan and it was a step-back and as the day went on I was delighted then not to have a session and to go for an easy run as I was wrecked.

2. Favourite distance?

Well, I had thought 10 miles as I had always loved and excelled at the Frank Duffy 10 mile. After Swords I'm doubting that distance.

I do like 400's. I settle into a good and steady pace and enjoy it.

4. Favourite session?

I did a LR progression during the snow days. The weather and roads were in desperate condition and I did the run and delighted to have absolutely nailed it.

5. Post race treat?

The goodie bag? I had an apple after the 10 mile and it was delicious. There would be an ice-cream I'm sure added at some point during the day to celebrate.

I think I have only done the 3 so far. Tramore, Dungloe and Castletown in North Kildare. All I actually raced and ended up doing well in. Top 3 maybe in all. I don't know actually. I loved them all.

Tramore was on a mental day with the sea crashing over the promonade and I loved it. It was wild.

Dungloe I abandoned the session and went with it and thought I was lead Female, turns out I was beaten by a child and lady with a dog but it was a super run and scenery.

Casteltown out in North Kildare where I am from. We did a little tour one morning with Laura_AC, Murph and FBOT. The conditions were like cross-country. Big muddles and scary surface. It was hard going and a right challenge but I did love it.

I am not bothered by Famous people. I suppose it depends though on why they are famous. No one comes to mind though.

Australia.

When the clocks change. Springtime!

Ah no, that's a really hard one.

My Paul, my Family, my friends. The day I got the keys to my house. The day my close friends started to have babies I would always cry in delight. So happy and proud, like their Wedding days.
    11. Biggest regret?

Reading too much Jilly Cooper in study in secondary school and not actually doing much for my education.

Not going on to get my degree.

Being too stubborn in a job that I hated to actually leave it. I had a desperate boss for a very long time and was miserable.

Huzzah! wrote: »
    Excellent choice.

1. Bucketlist race?
    3. If you could go anywhere in the world, no expenses spared, where would you go?
    4. Favourite restaurant?

Good morning,

Sorry for only recently realising who you were on strava and ignoring the previous request.

1. Bucketlist race?

I don't have one but from reading reports I think it would have to be a big city marathon, a tourist run

Boston sounds horrendous with the point-to-point route but incredible support too.

London/NY.

Rotterdam then maybe to give a flat and fast a go.

I wish I could do the Wings for Life another go as I did it in Dun Laoghaire a few years ago and was very proud of myself for running from Dublin to Wicklow. That was a brilliant event.

Queenstown, New Zealand. It was amazing. I cannot wait to go back.

Many other places can be easily added but it is spectacular.

I would love to do a cruise around Alaska. Head from Vancouver.

4. Favourite restaurant?

Chez Max, delicious. Friendly. Red wine, steak, chips. They no longer do escargot though with the amazing garlic butter. Yum.

Stop reading Jilly Cooper.

Oops, forgot another race

Raheny 5 mile 2016 36:16.

RayCun wrote: »
    Just popping in to say hello, but while I'm here...

What would you go back and change What are you going to change about your running?

Morning Ray, good to finally meet you.

DCM in the heatwave of 2014 was incredible.

I was strong and consistent in the DCM HM in 2015 and proud of that. The 2 previous years were desperate.

My first ever race and then going back a year later and smashing that time.

Smash my 5km PB and marathon, do it all. Why not.

No, have only done time trials at the club. They do it in the Novices the last Tuesday of the month to see if you can break sub 13 and move up lanes.

I am generally very jumpy so don't do well with guns or loud noises.

Oh no. Let my gym membership expire in May. I have high hopes of always doing this but never sign up for anything. I'm doing pilates the last few weeks and enjoy that. I find it nice and relaxing.

One of the physio's when I was recovering gave me drills to do before a run when I was starting back. I didn't like them and it put me off running. I just wanted to be able to go out and run in a straight line. None of this shuffle nonsense.

What would you go back and change What are you going to change about your running?[/

Be more amazing then I was in my prime of 2015? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Sorry for only recently realising who you were on strava and ignoring the previous request.

No problem - you can't be too careful these days.

Stop reading Jilly Cooper.

Rupert Campbell Black is necessary reading, imho :)

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    • Stranded indefinitely on a desert island. Your 3 must-have items ?
    • Murder/Marry/MakeOut - choose from boardsies only.
    • Who would you have on your ideal pub quiz team and why ?
    • What did you want to be when you grew up ?
    • Guilty pleasure ?
    • Something you're really good at (apart from running obvs)
    • Bad Boy crush ?

Arrgh, how random!

Stranded indefinitely on a desert island. Your 3 must-have items ?

Water
    Food
    Paul

Murder/Marry/MakeOut - choose from boardsies only.

Ha.
    Murder Chivitto 550
    Marry misterpaul
    Makeout misterpaul

Who would you have on your ideal pub quiz team and why ?

Poor team 8.
    Someone who knows politics
    Watches tv
    Good general knowledge
    Someone to get drinks.

What did you want to be when you grew up ?

Ugh, an Accountant like my Dad. I also wanted braces, glasses and a perm like my Sister.

Guilty pleasure ?

Purple snack bars. Lovely. Nibble all the chocolate off the sides and then gobble the rest.

Something you're really good at (apart from running obvs)

Not sailing anyway. I'm good at remembering dates and Birthdays.

Shopping too.

Bad Boy crush ?

Your man from 4 weddings who was much more himself in About a Boy?
    Hugh Grant.

Cheers G.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭mister paul

Stranded indefinitely on a desert island. Your 3 must-have items ?

Water
    Food
    Paul

Murder/Marry/MakeOut - choose from boardsies only.

Ha.
    Murder Chivitto 550
    Marry misterpaul
    Makeout misterpaul

Who would you have on your ideal pub quiz team and why ?

Poor team 8.
    Someone who knows politics
    Watches tv
    Good general knowledge
    Someone to get drinks.

Phew...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

I have more if that's okay.

When did you start running?
    What got you into it?
    You seem to have bucket loads of natural talent, did you do other competitive sports when you were younger?
    Is there a history of running in your family?

Thanks!

I have more if that's okay.

What got you into it?
    You seem to have bucket loads of natural talent, did you do other competitive sports when you were younger?

Thanks!

Of course it is ok and thank you.

I did Bootcamp in the Phoenix park and got very fit. Gave it up, went to the gym when I moved Northside. Realised eventually that I was getting up to cycle to a spin class for 30 minutes, cycling home and then cycling to work so not the best use of a gym membership.

I then went back to bootcamp in Marino and trained with them for a few weeks to get my fitness back.

My friends got me to sign up for the Simon 5 mile which is the first weekend of October. I then spent September building up to be able to run 5 miles. The first few times weren't fun. Did runs and slowly built up the distance. The first time I ran for 30 minutes continiously I was delighted with myself. That was the best part.

5 of us had signed up for the race. 4 turned up on the day, 1 had actually completed 5 miles (ME). I ran my best that day. Dry wretched the whole way up Khyber and refused to stop. Finished in 41:04 and was extremely delighted with myself. Used sailing watch for timing.

What got you into it?

See above. Second race was the GIR, I absolutely hated it. Hated. Thought it was awful. Saw my time in the paper the Monday and I had finished ahead of Leo V our then Minister for Sport. Ordered a forerunner from China and entered the Clontarf HM on the Wednesday.

Next Simon 5 mile was 37:56 I think.

I went to school down the country and they were born and raised with Camoige. I thought it was frightening to then be put on an all-weather pitch to play hockey against them. Tennis I used to enjoy and basketball funnily enough. No real sports though.

Ha, no. They think I'm all mad and must be running away from something.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Hello! Well done on the thread so far! People have already asked such great questions, I only have a few!

1) Do you feel you're fully back, confidence-wise after your knee operation? You're running great, but would you still hesitate to push as hard? Do you think you'll ever almost 'forget' you had surgery?

2) You should be really proud of all the work you did rehabbing you knee. Were there any unexpected positive effects? Like did the rehab make any parts of you stronger than ever, in ways you might notice either in running or ADL ('activities of daily living') :)

3) Loads of boardsies in your 'group' (I men people you run with like Murph D, Anna PR, Bungy Girl) sometimes do sessions on their own with the watch. Do you mainly do yours with the club, and if you do both, which do you prefer - your own timed session or track sessions with the club.

4) Favourite strip/singlet/colours of all the Dublin clubs (apart from Crusaders) :)

Thanks!!

Advertisement